RnR Hall Of Fame Nominees 2022

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by ModernDayWarrior, Feb 2, 2022.

1. Greenalishi

Greenalishi Birds Aren’t Real

This page shows the impossible task of the hall. People argue the other side just to argue. I can’t believe one person on this page is being real

BluesOvertookMe likes this.
  2. SRC

SRC That sums up Squatter for me

So it's not only birds, eh?

3. HotelYorba101

HotelYorba101 Senior Member

That is sort of why I still am not sold on this Hall of Fame lol. A bunch of suits creating the boundries for induction worthiness seems like the antithesis of rock n' roll to me

Audiowannabee likes this.
  4. Greenalishi

Ranzo likes this.
  5. Coricama

Coricama Classic Rocker

Here's another "fun fact"
    I'm not dictating a goddamned thing. I'm stating an opinion and YOU don't get to "dictate" what anyone's opinion is other than your own.

6. Coricama

Coricama Classic Rocker

You're the one that seems to think your opinions are fact. Why would anything I do reflect on the " Marietta education sytem"? I'm not from here, genius.

7. Greenalishi

I was just restating a funny joke. Which has elements of truth like all good satire and humor. Not trying to define rock n roll. Pretty funny and accurate in light of many going in. Sorry. Continue the endless bit ch ing

8. brucewayneofgotham

brucewayneofgotham Forum Resident

Who should do the inductions?

Janet for Jam and Lewis
    Boy George for Priest
    Jagger for the Eurythmics
    Bieber for Duran
    Grohl (If he is up for it) (If not , Stevie Wonder) for Lionel
    Taylor and Miley for Dolly
    Joan Jett for Pat and Neil
    Elton for Em
    Carole King for Carly

have to think about the resr

Greenalishi likes this.
  9. Greenalishi

Rick Rubin for Jimmy Jam and Terry Lewis
    James Hatfield for Priest
    St Vincent for Eurythmics
    Ed Sheeren for Duran
    Adel for Lionel
    Miley Cyrus for Dolly
    Betsy Johnson for Pat Benatar
    Vanilla Ice for Eminem
    Judy Collins for Carly Simon

Barack Obama Harry Belafonte
    Bonnie Raitt for Elizabeth Cotton

David Geffen for Jimmy Iovine
    Nile Rodgers for Sylvia Robinson
    Lizzie Grubman for Alan Grubman

10. brucewayneofgotham

I am guessing Mariah Carey may sub for Lizzie
    LL for Sylvia Robinson
    Stevie Nicks for Iovine
    the middle two, you nail

Taylor for Carly (looking at my list, lacked star-power)

they wouldn't let Vanilla Ice in the Door
    Ice-T for Em (if Elton is not up for it)

thinking Betsy Johnson isn't a big enough mainstream name for Pat, sticking with Joan

Greenalishi and pghmusiclover like this.
  11. soundboy

soundboy Senior Member

Bryan Ferry for Duran Duran
    Steve Perry for Lionel Richie

12. hardknox

hardknox Forum Resident

Ricky Gervais for emcee. Give 'em the Golden Globes treatment. :evil:

Greenalishi likes this.
  13. Greenalishi

Perfect, brucewayneofgot, soundboy and hardknox.

I see Betsy Johnson as a female Lemmy. So for me perfect for Pat Benatar. Pat is super cool and fits Betsy. So probably would never happen. Pat is kinda tough but pop too and totally rock n roll. Also how I see Betsy. Even though she is a designer. She is just kinda free. And total rock n roll

brucewayneofgotham likes this.
  14. brucewayneofgotham

I think Grohl would have been definite for Lionel (as they are buddy/buddy) , but the Hawkins OD , is probably still too fresh. When you think of "We Are The World", there are so many possible choice ....also Kristofferson is a friend, so he is a great choice.

Thank God , Lionel and Clapton has a huge falling out, so it is not going to be him.

Greenalishi likes this.
  15. DesertHermit

DesertHermit Now an UrbanHermit

My money is on Debbie Harry, Ann Wilson or Melissa Etheridge to induct Pat Benatar.

16. brucewayneofgotham

Always thought Debbie did not appreciate her
    "We Live For Love" was such a Blondie-clone

17. D-rock

D-rock Senior Member

18. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

19. pghmusiclover

pghmusiclover Senior Member

That was one song Pat recorded that sounded like Blondie! It was on her first album and she was on the same label as them, so it's possible the label asked them to do a sound-alike tune. I don't think she ever recorded another song that could be mistaken for Blondie, so I would hope that Debbie/Deborah would have gotten over it by now...

20. Grand_Ennui

Grand_Ennui Forum Resident

This is true-It'd be like Paul McCartney saying he avoided becoming a nostalgia act because he's still releasing new music, when everyone knows that outside of a few obsessives, everyone going to Paul's shows in the last 20 years or so are going to hear 'Hey Jude' and 'Band on the Run', not something off his current album. The same applies to Duran Duran.

Oatsdad likes this.
  21. GLUDFSSR

GLUDFSSR Senior Member

They at least play normally 3 to 4 or 5 new tracks whenever they tour after an album release. So even if some come for there past hits they still promote the new stuff.

22. Grand_Ennui

Grand_Ennui Forum Resident

Yes, they may be promoting the new stuff, and as mentioned, the obsessives will probably enjoy that... However, the bulk of the audience is there to hear 'the old stuff' and will use the time the new stuff is being played to make a beer run or hit the restrooms...

23. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

Perhaps we can specify that a "nostalgia act" = one that puts out no new material and just tours the same oldies forever.

Which is fair, I guess, but I think the implication from Taylor is that DD remains a band that doesn't just coast on the oldies.

Which is also fair, but not if it means Taylor thinks fans come to see them with hopes they'll hear the new songs.

As @Grand_Ennui notes, all bands have some fans who want to hear new material, but for acts like McCartney or the Who or DD, they're vastly outnumbered by the people who want the hits/classic era stuff.

So maybe "legacy act" is better than "nostalgia act", but still... potayto/potahto...

Grand_Ennui and D-rock like this.
  24. Marry a Carrot

Marry a Carrot Interesting blues gets a convincing reading.

You're dunking on the headline, but John Taylor's actual quote seems pretty reasonable.

Well, we're quite lucky, because we've got a body of songs; we've got the greatest hits. And, I mean, thank you, Lord and Master, Great Universe, there are a dozen songs that really, really cut to people's nervous systems. We are extraordinarily fortunate that we have that.

Knowing that you've always got these cornerstone songs that you can rely on, I think those songs actually give us the liberty to break away—and take the audience over here, and let's go over there, and let's have a look at this, and this is what we were thinking about a few years ago when we did blah, blah, blah. And then they go, 'Oh, yeah, yeah,' and they come with us. And then we are able to bring them back to a very emotional moment in their own lives. And then we can take them off again.

I don't think the Duran Duran audience is all about nostalgia. I think there is nostalgia there, but for Duran fans, there's something more than that. And [our audience] knows that Duran Duran aren't just going to play a greatest hits set. There's going to be something new in there, some new exploration. There's going to be some new material in there.

And some you win, some you lose, but I think overall… Our aim is always to please and to satisfy, but I actually think they appreciate being given a little more than we could give them.​

25. Sax-son

Sax-son Forum Resident

Not a bad name on that list! Could there be others? Sure! Next year perhaps.