ROAD TRIP TIME: Recommend some CD stores to me (Portland, San Fran, LA, etc)

Discussion in 'Music, Movie and Hardware Store Guide' started by quentincollins, Mar 15, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. quentincollins

quentincollins Forum Word Nerd Thread Starter

I'm gonna be heading down the Pacific Coast most of next week starting on Friday or Saturday.

First stop is Portland, and I'm definitely hitting up the Everyday Music up the street from Powells.

After that, I'll probably cruise along the coast until I get into Northern CA. Don't know my route from there, except that I'll be hitting up San Francisco at some point. From there on, I might head to LA. Don't know for sure, but most likely will.

Anyway, I need some recommendations for good stores to stop by at in Portland, San Francisco, and dare I say LA. I might even head to Vegas for a night, don't know. I'm taking it as it comes.

2. quentincollins

3. StyxCollector

StyxCollector Man of Miracles

Amoeba in San Fran and LA for sure. I'm not on the West Coast, but I've been there on vaca and those are definitely worth visiting.

4. mudbone

mudbone Gort Annaologist

Maybe if you'd put the cities you're visiting in the thread title you'd get more "bites". :thumbsup:

mud-:D

5. quentincollins

Done :D

6. mudbone

mudbone Gort Annaologist

:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

mud-:D

7. Lord Hawthorne

Lord Hawthorne Currently Untitled

Everyday has two other locations, one in Beaverton, the other at NE 19th and Sandy. Their CDs are almost all priced at $8.50. SE Hawthorne has 5 stores, including my own, Crossroads. Few of our discs are over $7.00. The prices up the street at CD Exchange, Reverb and Jackpot are about the same. You can pick up a guide to all the music sellers in Portland at most any record/CD store.

8. tomken22

tomken22 Senior Member

Hi Quentincollins,

Welcome to the SF Bay Area. Hey, we have some great cd-vinyl stores.

In San Francisco, the big boy is Amoeba Records - right in the middle of Haight Ashbury. It used to be a bowling alley - it's big. CD's and vinyl. There are also 2 Streetlight Records locations and smaller vinyl stores.

In San Jose (actually in Campbell), there are Streetlight Records and Rasputin's Records (within a mile of each other). Both have a ton of cd's and vinyl. Big stores. Right off the freeway. EZ parking.

In Berkeley, there are two big stores - Amoeba and Rasputin's. Right in the middle of "college town." Parking is :p

Have fun - bring your plastic!

Tom Kennedy

http://www.amoebamusic.com/www.amoebamusic.com2/html/home.htm

http://www.rasputinmusic.com/locations.html

http://www.streetlightrecords.com/u...e56bf2a6c99a95b679&cid=&user=&pass=&regstamp=

9. Ere

Ere Senior Member

On my recent forays to hometown Portland I've picked up some nice finds at Fabulous Jackpot Records, at their downtown store at 203 SW 9th Ave. They also have a store at S.E. 37th and Hawthorne, near the Bagdhad Theater, a McMenamin's brew pub theater (see Claus's PacNW visit thread) and near Lord Hawthorne's store.

While you're in Portland you should also check out Powell's Books , at NW 10th and Burnside; surely one of the best bookstores on the planet (used and new).

Edit:Oops, I see you mention Powell's... anyway, Jackpot Records in SW is only a few blocks away so you'll be by there anyway. Also, there is at least one and maybe two other smaller used CD stores literally across the street from Powells, one on the south side of 10th and the other kitty-corner on the little triangle of stores just off Oak Street.

10. DOUBTINGTHOMAS29

DOUBTINGTHOMAS29 Forum Resident

Too bad you're not looking at vinyl too because Crossroads is the best. You can also stop by Music Millenium on SE Burnside, Turn Around Sound and Music Time in Beaverton.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.