‘Roar’ - The Most Dangerous Movie Ever Made

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by DreamIsOver, Oct 4, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DreamIsOver

DreamIsOver Senior Member Thread Starter

I read about this movie last year when it got a limited release but finally saw it this last weekend on cable.
    It truly has to be seen to be believed.
    It's currently free on demand from Turner Classic Movies on my cable system (Comcast) until 10/09/2016.
    I definitely recommend reading about the lunacy that went into making this misguided movie before you watch it. Here's a bit of an article about the movie ---

“The worst was when I got 56 stitches and it took six guys 25 minutes to get the lion off of me,” recalled John Marshall of the harrowing time he found his entire head trapped in the jaws of a male lion named Tongaru while filming 1981’s Roar, one of the most insanely ill-conceived animal adventures of all time and a serious front-runner for the most perilous home movie ever made.

Narrowly escaping a snack time beheading by a lion with just a few bloody bites was par for the course for Marshall, who co-starred in Roar with his brother Jerry, their teenage stepsister Melanie Griffith (pre-Body Double and Something Wild), and her mother, Tippi Hedren. They were all in for the craziest family project in Hollywood history—co-starring with hundreds of wild lions, tigers, jaguars, leopards, and elephants in Roar, a film directed by their wild-eyed family patriarch, The Exorcist producer Noel Marshall. No animals were harmed, but plenty of humans were."

‘Roar’: The Most Dangerous Movie Ever Made »

2. Texastoyz

Texastoyz Forum Resident

I recorded it off of TCM over the weekend. Very interesting film to say the least. It's amazing that the lion's share of deaths was for some lions who died in a flood and not any people.

DreamIsOver likes this.
  3. The Wanderer

The Wanderer Seeker of Truth

4. Dok

Dok Senior Member

[​IMG]

A picture of the crew. A friend of mine Don Allen worked on this film (2nd row from the bottom, 3rd from the right) along with his good friend Clyde Bryan (sitting behind him). Clyde has gone on to have a long a career as a first assistant camera man on a number of well known films including the recent Netflix 'Stranger Things' series. Clyde E. Bryan - IMDb » Don has told me about how crazy it was and that he narrowly escaped being mauled himself.

SandAndGlass and DreamIsOver like this.
  5. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

I casually know two of the sound people on Roar (Courtney Goodin and Mark Ulano), and they have said that this movie was the most dangerous, disorganized mess they've ever worked on in their careers. The cinematographer was Jan De Bont, who went on to much bigger films, like Twister and Die Hard. De Bont reportedly got badly bitten and had to be hospitalized for several weeks, plus Tippi Hedren's husband kept running out of money, which did not make production any easier.

SandAndGlass and chilinvilin like this.
  6. JBStephens

JBStephens I don't "like", "share", "tweet", or CARE. In Memoriam

I did a thread search to see if anybody had posted about this film, and sure enough! TCM showed it a while back, and it's on You Tube. Three words... complete, total insanity. It's like Bob Ross starring in The Texas Chain Saw Massacre. I was waiting for the protagonist to tap a lion with a rolled-up newspaper and say "Bad lion!" He doesn't seem to realize that wild untrained lions are not puppies, and tigers won't come and rub against you if you say "Here, kitty!". Lots of blood, and all of it real. If you search you'll find lots written about this movie. The cinematography was great, though.

7. Johnny66

Johnny66 Laird of Boleskine

I saw this in theatres as a child. It's an utterly shambolic movie, and the thin veneer of a wildlife conservation message can't hide its exploitation roots - but there's no denying the insanity of the big cat footage.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.