Rob Zombie is Making a Munster Movie

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by unclefred, Jun 11, 2021.

1. Pizza

Pizza With extra pepperoni

I could barely keep my eyes opens too, but not because I was tired. ;)

2. brucewayneofgotham

brucewayneofgotham Forum Resident

Both were really good in retrospect
    AF had better writing
    but Al and Fred had an unbelievable tremendous chemistry (and probably , because of "Car 54..." )

They were both overlooked at Emmy Time

Glenn Christense likes this.
  3. Glenn Christense

Glenn Christense Foremost Beatles expert... on my block

Yes and I loved John Astin in it also

brucewayneofgotham likes this.
  4. FredV

FredV Senior Member

If you thought the movie trailer was bad,… :faint:

5. brucewayneofgotham

thought this was a little better...

6. Drifter

Drifter AAD survivor

Wow, what a cameo, he hasn't aged a bit! :rolleyes:

[​IMG]

7. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

wow...what a shame...you'd think they would have given Butch a better part...I cannot imagine this not tanking...geez.

hi_watt likes this.
  8. Scopitone

Scopitone Caught the last train for the coast

Watched the film last night.

It's clearly a labor of love, and everyone involved is having a great time. The three leads (Herman, Lily, Grandpa) all maintained the spirit of the characters without being clones - well, except for Grandpa a bit. There's also Lily's deadbeat werewolf brother Larry, but he really only exists as a plot device to show why they left Transylvania (and perhaps to demonstrate that wolfiness runs in the family for when Eddie comes along later). The show looks terrific, with lots of color. The spookiness is about on the level of a 90s Disney Channel halloween movie. In this movie we learn not only why they move to Mockingbird Lane but also how they get Spot the dragon and how Herman gets his job at the Parlor.

My favorite moment happens at the end of the film, when they have moved to California:

They happen to buy their house and move in on Halloween. The other homes are all decorated, and everyone is in costume. The Munsters think they've moved to a perfect neighborhood, and they have great fun at the Halloween block party meeting everyone. The next morning, Herman walks outside to go to his first day at the funeral parlor. The neighborhood has reverted back to normal suburban America, with dads mowing lawns and kids selling lemonade, etc. Herman becomes terrified and almost has a panic attack. He runs back inside screaming that during the night some monsters have replaced all their lovely new friends. It's a funny moment, a nice subversion because Zombie shoots it in such a way as to be the only genuinely creepy sequence in the film.

I have two major criticisms:

1. Grandpa doesn't become "Grandpa" as we know him until the end of the film when they move to California. He's a jerk who doesn't think Herman is good enough for Lily or their family.

2. Pacing. The film is slow. I found myself checking my watch several times. Someone in this thread mentioned the Three Stooges film from about a decade ago. I liked that one a lot and thought the three guys did very well. But a feature-length film was too much time for Stooge antics. They're a short film concept. I think The Munsters might be the same. They work better in 25 minute chunks.

I didn't love this film, and I expect most people won't. But I liked it, and the love Zombie has for the material is infectious.

9. unclefred

unclefred Coastie with the Moastie Thread Starter

Over at the Classic Horror Film Board the reviews are mixed but a lot of guys enjoyed it, the colors the old horror film references and the soundtrack. Apparently there is critical acclaim- RogerEbert.com.
    soundtrack-
    The Munsters

Scopitone likes this.
  10. Michael

the worst version of the Munsters EVER...horrifying...we suffered through the nearly 2 hours of hell...my wife REALLY disliked this...there was not one redeeming moment in this fiasco...

hi_watt and Chris DeVoe like this.
  11. brucewayneofgotham

probably Zombie's best film , I was really expecting to hate this. After watching this , I actually want a sequel...

Scopitone and unclefred like this.
  12. Grand_Ennui

Grand_Ennui Forum Resident

I didn't want to ask on the other forum where I read about this movie, but I'll ask here: Did the guy who played Herman really have another actor dub in his voice?

13. unclefred

if so, it might be in this interview. I haven't watched it

14. unclefred

We did enjoy it, the colors, set pieces, the cartoon elements, it's like a cartoon, which I think was the intent. I did think it long, the honeymoon scenes could be trimmed a few minutes. I thought Herman and grandpa were great. But it must be said that I never liked the show as a kid and thought it was a really dumb compared to the Addams Family. So nothing about the movie violated any 'fan fan' feelings for the show. Like @Scopitone, I thought the Mockingbird scenes were tops. They reminded me of some scenes in Blue velvet.

numer9 and Scopitone like this.
  15. Pizza

Pizza With extra pepperoni

Too evenly paced. I didn’t like the makeup at all. Loved the saturated colors. Wasn’t as bad as I was expecting but I think those expectations helped the movie. The story concept of how it all started is great but the script was awful. And those solo reaction shots with the cheesy backdrops were bad. I did like the small horror references but Zombie needed to focus more on the movie. Still, if there was a sequel, I’d watch it.

Oh, I did love the Creature appearance.

Scopitone likes this.
  16. mikem60

mikem60 Forum Resident

I liked it
    I think

17. daglesj

daglesj Forum Resident

Apparently Zombie wanted to do it B&W but was overturned.

Daryl M likes this.
  18. FredV

FredV Senior Member

I watched it today. Well,…

19. Michael

cute...honesty is the best policy... for me it sucked...; )

20. Michael

interesting, but if I had my way the original series would have been living color ...Munster Go Home looked great in COLOR!...

21. appledan

appledan Resident Rockist

Not surprised by that. There seems to be a strong fear of B&W amongst the younger generations.

22. Grand_Ennui

Grand_Ennui Forum Resident

I picked it up at Walmart the other night-I haven't watched it yet, but I do have to say that I don't like that Grandpa has a mustache.

vinnie and Michael like this.
  23. Michael

that's the least of your worries! ha! let us know after you watch...

Matthew Tate and Grand_Ennui like this.
  24. Daniel Plainview

Daniel Plainview God's Lonely Man

I gave up after 15 minutes. I was bored out of my mind. I appreciate the effort, but not for me.

25. Spaghettiows

Spaghettiows Forum Resident

Well, the movie "Munster Go Home" from the same time period as the TV show was in color, so it's not like doing it in color is some kind of sacrilege that dishonors the intent of the original creators.