Robert Fripp Exposure box to be released

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by jblock, Jun 17, 2021.

1. Music Geek

Music Geek Confusion will be my epitaph

I will be really disappointed if this boxset doesn't include God Save The Queen/Under Heavy Manners in its original shape. I really don't understand why Under Heavy Manners has disappeared from Robert Fripp's catalogue. Has he had an argument with David Byrne?
    I also hope that the League of Gentlemen album is restored to its original version.

2. The same band that had minor hit - Money (That’s what I want)?

3. ArpMoog

ArpMoog Forum Resident

Did Fripp ever tour Exposure or play songs from it in the early days of the Discipline band ?

4. Norco74

Norco74 For the good and the not so good…

Yes, they covered the R&B song from Gordy & Bradford. They also performed a deconstructed Summertime Blues. The Fourth Wall really worth a spin.

Shvartze Shabbos likes this.
  5. aphexj

aphexj Sound mind & body

I seem to remember reading they tried out "Breathless" in rehearsals but Robert couldn't remember how it went. Thankfully he remembered it well enough to teach the newest KC lineup!

6. Zongadude

Zongadude Music is the best

Well... he absolutely didn't say that :)

Robert Fripp said "It's the largest box set DGM will ever have released of Exposure".
    Not exactly the same meaning, right ? ;)
    Sometimes we hear just what we wanna hear !
    :biglaugh:

7. Say It Right

Say It Right Not for the Hearing Impaired

It was just a Frippertronics tour.

Stick Men started playing "Breathless," then the current Crimson lineup started including it I set lists.

ARK likes this.
  8. KCLizard

KCLizard Forum Resident

Robert Fripp, 30th of March 1983 at McGill University

Shvartze Shabbos and Norco74 like this.
  9. Vaughan

Vaughan Forum Resident

:D What's the largest? Isn't it simply a 2-CD set?

Tim Bucknall and fRa like this.
  10. fRa

fRa Conny Olivetti - Sound Alchemist

Indeed. A 2 CD set is not a box set ;-)

Tim Bucknall, ARK and Vaughan like this.
  11. Vic333

Vic333 Forum Resident

Since the new one will be the largest, and the current release is a two disc, that means the new release will be at least 3 discs.
    So, is one more disc enough to hold everyone's dreams? In their full unedited form? We shall see.

Tim Bucknall likes this.
  12. fRa

fRa Conny Olivetti - Sound Alchemist

Well, Fripp says ”a monster box set”
    Lets hope a monster box is more than 3 CDs

Tim Bucknall likes this.
  13. KCLizard

KCLizard Forum Resident

Yeah, with full of Toyah performance....Just Joking!

14. aphexj

aphexj Sound mind & body

I would submit that, had you inserted a comma in this sentence before the word 'of', it does have the same meaning. There is no reason to doubt that it could include MASSES of ancillary material worked up for Exposure but also from the sessions for Hall's & Gabriel's albums that was not included in the final edits; consulting the DGMLive website for Fripp solo downloads from this period ('77 to '79, during Fripp's period of residence in NYC), I can see many home cassettes, monitor mixes, outtakes, dozens of live shows, and the promise of even more treasures as-yet-unearthed. Expanding outward to '80 with the LOG would be fun too, though perhaps not necessary to include in the story given how much there already is to cover

Last edited: Jun 28, 2021
  15. KCLizard

KCLizard Forum Resident

What I really hope for, is that they include lots of unpublished materials. If not, I already have a lot from DGM , will see.

Tim Bucknall likes this.
  16. dlokazip

dlokazip Forum Transient

There is a lot to unpack here.

The other boxes were cost-prohibitive to many fans. If this is going to be the biggest ever, then it will be no different.

When Heaven & Earth was released, more affordable CD+DVD versions of The ReconstruKction Of Light and The Power To Believe were, also, released. I see no reason why that wouldn't be done here, as well.

That creates even more questions, though. Which of the three editions of Exposure would be used for the CD? (The way I see it, the "Definitive Edition" is just the Second Edition with the Third Edition's "Water Music II", for those keeping track.) Could there be a Fourth Edition stereo mix from Steven Wilson? Regardless, all editions should be available on the DVD.

Could there be a CD+DVD version of God Save The King, as well? For those who have forgotten, God Save The King was Robert's reconfiguring of material from Under Heavy Manners and The League Of Gentlemen. With such a release, the DVD should include the original tracks and mixes from those releases, perhaps with God Save The Queen and Let The Power Fall, as well.

We will see if that is actually what happens.

17. Music Geek

Music Geek Confusion will be my epitaph

My boxset has been delivered :)

[​IMG]

ewe2, idiot bastard, garysb and 4 others like this.
  18. Zongadude

You just have to listen to Fripp himself on the video: he pronounced the sentence exactly as I wrote it. There's no reson to put a comma before the word 'of' because it just doesn't sound like he placed the equivalent of that comma in his speech. He said it all in one flow: " "It's the largest box set DGM will ever have released of Exposure".
    ;)

I know, we all would have preferred a 42-discs box set !
    But it won't happen ;)

19. Zongadude

I think we will have at least:

-1 CD of the new stereo mix of Exposure by SW
    -1 CD of the old original mix of Exposure first edition
    -1 CD of the old original mix of Exposure third edition
    -1 DVD of the 5.1 remix by SW
    -1 Bluray of the Atmos remix by SW

So that's 5 discs.

I think it's reasonable to think there will be a lot of session material (which is already available to download on DGM), so that makes for some additional CDs.)

I don't think we will have God save the Queen/Under heavy manners, Let the power fall or The league of gentlemen albums in the box. Because Robert would have mentioned them. But he just said "There will be different versions of Exposure". Which is a shame because I would have loved that !

20. asdf35

asdf35 Forum Resident

It was several years before I realized I was missing (and hadn't heard) the original LOG album. For a while I thought I had it already...since the same cover was used on God Save The King.

[​IMG]

I still think LOG would make a great - separate - box, but whatever DGM does is Damn Good Music

NumberEight and Tim Bucknall like this.
  21. dlokazip

dlokazip Forum Transient

The Road To Red is 24 discs. It's almost frightening to think that he would have more than that for Exposure material alone. This, also, makes me wonder if he has 20 discs worth of League Of Gentlemen material, as well.

I'm thoroughly convinced he could release a 500-disc set of Frippertronics. I probably shouldn't be giving him any ideas.

22. aphexj

aphexj Sound mind & body

Robert's exact words in the video were: "...and at the moment, DGM is preparing a monster box set, the largest box set DGM will ever have released, of Exposure."

I don't know that it's going to be 42 discs, but in terms of raw disc count, the largest ones to beat so far are Starless and Sailors' Tales both weighing in at 27 discs (plus an additional box of mini-LP sleeves in the Japanese editions)... so 28 discs would perhaps look something like this:

CD 1-3
    Solo demo recordings, writing sketches, other private recordings

CD 4-6
    Rehearsals and blows with various musicians

CD 7-9
    Exposure studio monitor mixes, First Edition, Second Edition

CD 10-12
    Exposure Third Edition, new stereo remix by Steven Wilson, alternative mixes

CD 13-15
    The Drive to '81: Outtakes, rehearsals, writing fragments for Sacred Songs and PG 'Scratch'

CD 16-18
    A Small, Mobile, Intelligent Unit (Frippertronics, fan Q&A sessions, press interviews)

CD 19-21
    Discotronics (Under Heavy Manners expanded, God Save the Queen expanded, Let the Power Fall expanded)

DVD 22-25
    Surround & hi-res stereo mixes, visual communications

BD 26-28
    Surround & Atmos & hi-res & c.

23. citizensmurf

citizensmurf Ambient postpunk will never die

I haven't even scratched the surface of the H&E box, and though only 24 discs, the Blu Ray discs are overloaded with content.

Looking forward to an Exposure era box.

Tim Bucknall likes this.
  24. Zongadude

Sweet dreams, you dreamer ;)

(BTW, the comma is totally in your head, I don't hear it all in Robert's sentence.)
    Anyway, I would love to have the other Fripp albums in the box, but I don't see it happening.
    And I don't see a 28 discs box neither !

Let's wait and see ;)

Tim Bucknall likes this.
  25. Say It Right

Say It Right Not for the Hearing Impaired

It'd be a surprise if there's anything from PGII or Sacred Songs. Other labels are involved and with licensing issues?

Fully expect LoG to be part of it.

idiot bastard, Instant Dharma and fRa like this.