Robert Fripp Exposure box to be released

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by jblock, Jun 17, 2021.

1. KirbysAdventure

KirbysAdventure Forum Resident

Hugh O'Donnel posted this on the DGM guestbook:
    So, no Atmos mix of TLOG exists.

aphexj, Fractured, albertop and 3 others like this.
  2. brimuchmuze

brimuchmuze Forum Resident

I can't imagine AB would do a better version of Minor Man than DD.

3. MichaelCPE

MichaelCPE Forum Resident

So that I can have some structure to my listening of the many versions of Exposure, I'm trying to group the albums.

I think the first group is:
    NY Heartthrobs - the original album which couldn't be released, and
    Breathless - SW remix inspired by this version.

The second group is:
    1st Ed - the first release of Exposure,
    4th Ed - SW remix based on this, and
    2nd Ed - the 1985 remix of 1st Ed

The third group is:
    3rd Ed - based on 2nd Ed , Hall on vocals main sequence, and
    5th Ed - SW mix featuring Hall in 3rd Ed sequence

Does this make sense to you? Or can you think of a better grouping?

4. MichaelCPE

Someone posted earlier on content on CD but not on a blu ray:

Disc 4, tracks 4--8 Bush Of Ghosts is unique to CD, no?

I've just found out that this is on a blu ray - disc 27 -December 20, 1979

And, someone posted earlier:

SWAPPED ALBUMS:
    On Disc25 (Bluray), it seems that there is an inversion.

What is mentioned as the "Second Edition" in 24/96 is actually the First Edition (1979 mix).

And what is mentioned as the "First Edition" in 24/48 is actually the "Second Edition" (1983 mix).

Has anyone else found this to be the case, or thinks this is wrong?
    (I've not looked into how to quickly tell which version is which.)

edski and albertop like this.
  5. MichaelCPE

And I've just noticed that the four tracks Healthy Colours, released on The Essential Fripp & Eno (1984), was also recorded on 20 Dec, 1979.

So perhaps Healthy Colours is on the blu ray for that date as well? Or perhaps Healthy Colours has had something done to it since that recoding session.

I'll find out when I eventually get up to 20 Dec 1979 in my Frippertronics listening.

GregorSamsa likes this.
  6. Ckaz

Ckaz Forum Resident

"Healthy Colours" isnt't included in the set.

MichaelCPE likes this.
  7. SRC

SRC That sums up Squatter for me

Throwing this question out here, perhaps lazily as it may be elsewhere, but I'm currently listening to the Washington Square Church CD from Robert Fripp. Interesting liner notes, about how the Frippertronics loops from era performances still exist on tape, because the recording of the loops is part of the Frippertronics process itself - but that the guitar solos he would then play over those loops after they were constructed/taped, were generally not recorded and do not normally exist on tape. And that (for reasons explained in the liner notes), the Washington Square Church performances are an exception, where tapes of the guitar solos laid on top exist separately, thus allowing the full original performances to be released.

But my further question is, does this mean that the pieces making up the Let The Power Fall record, were also just made for him to eventually improvise on top of in those performances, but we've only heard what was recorded, which was the original loops? Doesn't really matter I suppose, but this is interesting to me, because I've always heard the pieces on Let The Power Fall as pieces he created to be heard exactly as they are presented there, as things-in-themselves. The idea that maybe he actually then restarted the loop after creating it, and soloed on top, changes their meaning and context somewhat. No worse or better, but curious.

Fractured and NorthNY Mark like this.
  8. Ckaz

Ckaz Forum Resident

I've been going through the Frippertronics Archives BluRays, taking notes on differences between the downloads available from DGM and the discs. To be sure: I'm not complaining -- this is to compile a summary rather, so I know what is where. The wealth of unpublished gigs and the sound quality are astounding!
    For 1979, I've come up with the following:
    As was noted on the DGM site, the gig available as 1979-05-22 Munich (Robert Fripp, 22nd of May 1979 at D.G.G. Offices ) appears to have be the source loops for God Save the Queen/Under Heavy Manners. As this was mis-labelled, naturally, it isn't on the BluRay.

For 1981, I have found the following, so far:
    Cheers!

9. aphexj

aphexj Sound mind & body

Yes, the 24/96 version is definitely the First edition (substantially the same remastering as presented on the 2005 CD and 200gram vinyl reissues) — and the 24/48 program is for sure the Second edition; it's presented on the Blu-ray at lower resolution because it was mixed to standard-definition digital tape in 1983, and it also contains the 6:24 extended "Water Music II"

10. RockNRod

RockNRod Forum Resident

Is there going to be a single LP vinyl release mixed by Steven Wilson? Was it released in March or still pending?

11. DrAftershave

DrAftershave A Wizard, A True Star

THE 2021 STEVEN WILSON MIX IS TAKING ME TO PLACES

willy and aphexj like this.
  12. Music Geek

Music Geek Confusion will be my epitaph

The second edition mislabeled as first edition is actually 16 bit even if encoded as 24 for Blu-ray authoring.

Last edited: Jun 24, 2022
  13. Music Geek

A bit off-topic but I must warn you that it's time to start saving money for the First Day/Damage boxset.
    I follow David Sylvian on Twitter and a few days ago he said that following some kind of financial dispute Robert Fripp has acquired the rights to the First Day and Damage (including the Sylvian remix). This was done without letting Sylvian know at all and he calls the thing "unethical" in a tweet...
    Is there a musician who has played with Fripp who hasn't fallen out with him? :laugh:

14. alakulju

alakulju Music is the best! - FZ

In every completist's life there comes a time to draw the line...

I'm so happy to be just a KC-completist, not a Fripp-completist.;)

NumberEight and Howard Bleach like this.
  15. Sordel

Sordel Forum Resident

Speaking as a big Sylvian fan, I'm glad that Fripp has acquired the rights because they should be in the hands of someone who is likely to do something with them.

16. Pim

Pim Forum Resident

Bring on the 48 disc Fripp/Sylvian boxset!

DJ WILBUR, Jason W, Lazerize and 5 others like this.
  17. Music Geek

I see your point but that doesn't make Robert Fripp less of a hypocrite about the pretence that his fight with the music industry is about "ethics". Seriously how can anyone create a peer to peer partnership with another musician and then not involve them in these decisions? It's not going to happen because he doesn't have the means to pursue the thing but it would be fun to see David Sylvian sue Fripp to re-acquire his 50% of the rights.

Lazerize likes this.
  18. Music Geek

Nothing was stopping him from taking the loop tapes and playing solos on top of them in the studio if that's the kind of album he wanted to make so releasing only the loops on Let The Power Fall (and various other albums) was clearly an artistic choice and the way he wanted people to listen to them in the context of an album, rather than a live performance. Personally I am glad he chose to use the loops this way because I like Let The Power Fall much more than the Washington Square release.

19. Sordel

Sordel Forum Resident

I don't know the details of how Fripp acquired the rights, but on paper it's better that one of the performers owns the rights than that none of them do. Also, I assume that there are checks that prevent Fripp from exploiting those rights without involving Sylvian (and of course paying royalties). Even had he checked with Sylvian before acquiring them, could David afford to stump up for his 50% of the rights? I wouldn't think that he'd have anything like Fripp's financial clout.

Norco74, Say It Right and aphexj like this.
  20. Music Geek

The point is doing it without even consulting David Sylvian. Maybe David Sylvian would have agreed and that was the end of the matter. But he wasn't told at all and he rightly called it unethical. Also, from the tweets it seems that, for whatever reason, Robert Fripp didn't actually pay to get ownership of the rights.

Anyway, this is getting completely off-topic. I am copying the twitter exchange below just to clarify the context and that's the end of this diversion.

Winston Huang

@WinstonHuang9

·
    Jun 21

Replying to
    @davidsylvian58
    Thank you David for the good news. Could you please have The First Day reissued on vinyl too? I’ve been a fan of you since the mid 80s.

david sylvian

@davidsylvian58

·
    Jun 22

that's an interesting question. based on a resolution over a legal dispute with virgin regarding financial issues (unrelated to me), robert was given the rights to the recording (also to my live remix of damage). something I believe to be against his basic principles of ownership

david sylvian

@davidsylvian58

·
    Jun 22

of work by other artists. i love and respect rf but this matter/resolution is clearly unethical, something i wasn’t consulted on and have no control over.

Lazerize and seasonsinthesky like this.
  21. NumberEight

NumberEight Came too late and stayed too long

Toyah. Possibly. :)

22. fRa

fRa Conny Olivetti - Sound Alchemist

Recent version of King Crimsom!?

23. 1@aTime

1@aTime Forum Resident

Oh nice. I love that album dearly. Would be nice to have a cleaned up concert video of that too.

24. jblock

jblock Senior Member Thread Starter

So this download from DGM is all at the wrong speed? And is the original Let The Power Fall release the correct speed or is the version of on the Exposures box now at the correct speed? Thanks!

25. Say It Right

Say It Right Not for the Hearing Impaired

A box set of Sylvian/Fripp might be overkill and would seriously have a limited market. However, if it could lead to a Blu Ray of the concert that used to be on VHS, this might all be worth the effort.

SJP, MicSmith and 1@aTime like this.