Robert Fripp Exposure box to be released

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by jblock, Jun 17, 2021.

1. Norco74

Norco74 For the good and the not so good…

Cannot find any link about a possible re-release of Manafon. Is it something he recently announced on his Facebook on/off account?

2. Music Geek

Music Geek Confusion will be my epitaph

David Sylvian posted this on Twitter:

In response to questions asked ‘Manafon’ and ‘Blemish’ are due to be reissued as vinyl on September 2nd. ‘Exorcising Ghosts’ on October 7th. These will be Universal reissues.

Jason W, Lazerize, SJP and 3 others like this.
  3. John Kelman

John Kelman Writer/Photographer, AAJ Senior Contributor

I know you may be joining, but still...all the members of KC from 2014-2021, to name a few, didn't fall out with him....

Just sayin!

Norco74 likes this.
  4. Voodoo Chile

Voodoo Chile Forum Resident

Finally arrived my copy yesterday! [And I ordered it as “presale” since day one]

What a great box! Those King Crimson boxes and this one must be the example to follow to all musicians selling boxes with the same tracks, and a few “alternate takes” that are almost the final take and well known live tracks but of course with some paraphernalia with no value as replicas. These boxes are with a lot of music, real alternate takes, outtakes, demos and live recordings of value!

My loops:

• Start: bought “No (No Pussyfooting)” in 1973 and I said to myself, wtf is this? I’m going to return this one to the record store! I was living with my parents and my brother said “what’s that? They made that in one take laughing about those buying it”, after some more spinning I loved it and I love it now.
    • Loop-1: Two years later bought “Evening Star” loved it since first spinning, a friend told me “WTF, that’s ****”
    • Loop-2: Bought “God Save the Queen/Under Heavy Manners” in 1980 and “Let the Power Fall” and the loops were almost the same, at the beginning I only liked the discotronics side “Under Heavy Manners” now I like them

• …after many, many similar loops…

• Loop-n: When I heard the first CDs from this box, my wife said almost the same than my brother about “No (No Pussyfooting)” in 1973: “wtf is that? They made that in one take laughing about those buying it, how much did you pay for that?”

Really great alternate takes… I want to make a playlist with my very own version of “Exposure”! Loved that he included the tracks that complete the infamous “MOR Trilogy” of this “Peter Gabriel 2” and “Sacred Songs”, I’m starting to lissen CD8 the 4th edition of Exposure…

Now my babies look this way

[​IMG]

SurferOne, Crungy, anth67 and 16 others like this.
  5. malcolm reynolds

malcolm reynolds Handsome, Humble, Genius

That is a lot of King Crimson. I wonder how long it would take to listen to all of that if you went straight through without taking a break?

Voodoo Chile likes this.
  6. Chew

Chew Casual Stalker

I don't want to bother Amy at DGM, so I will ask here. My "Washington Square" vinyl is on back order. Does anyone know the potential new shipping date? Doesn't really matter, just not sure if anyone already asked. I ordered it on pre-sale day with the box.

Last edited: Jun 26, 2022
  7. 1@aTime

1@aTime Forum Resident

I don’t think it is physically possible. Probably many weeks or a few months of music.

Voodoo Chile likes this.
  8. malcolm reynolds

malcolm reynolds Handsome, Humble, Genius

Maybe if you started a caffeine IV drip directly into your veins.

Voodoo Chile and 1@aTime like this.
  9. SJP

SJP Forum Resident

I don't know if 20+ discs can be squeezed out of the Sylvian/Fripp sessions but there is a fair amount of material out there. The highlight would be a re-release of the concert that made its way to laser disc but there were some earlier performances that were more acoustic (and rough from what I've heard).

I think if the big box reissue series were to continue to include Sylvian/Fripp, it would certainly have a rightful place within the history which will bring many completists on board but I remain skeptical if there is enough material to make this happen. I'd love to be pleasantly surprised. I need a big box to go with my near-fully autographed tour program from a Sylvian/Fripp show (Fripp/Gunn/Sylvian autographs).

Jason W likes this.
  10. Voodoo Chile

Voodoo Chile Forum Resident

A quick estimate it's 352 hours (14 days and 16 hours) without taking a break, only the new boxes and skipping repeated songs (i.e. the DVDs and BRs have the songs on the CDs)

Father: Your house
    Daughter: My house
    Well get out, there's the door
    Father: It is not your house
    It is not your house
    It is not your house
    It is not your house
    It is not your house

Mother: And you're a cocaine sniffer
    And you're a cocaine sniffer

Don't call me a slut
    Father: No
    Mother: You're carrying a baby
    You don't know whether it's a n****r, a spic or a white baby
    Don't call me a slut
    Father: No
    You've got to go for an abortion, baby
    I never had to
    Father: No way, never
    Mother: You've got to go for an abortion, baby
    I never had to
    You've got to go for an abortion, baby
    I never had to
    Your house
    Your house

11. alakulju

alakulju Music is the best! - FZ

Well, see you after two weeks!:righton:

Max Florian likes this.
  12. Ckaz

Ckaz Forum Resident

I guess so: It seems save to assume that the new, pitch-corrected versions are at the intended speeds/pitches. Even so, most of the DGM Frippertronics-downloads sound great to me at the pitches/speeds they were published in.
    I only wished the fact that the new Exposures box-versions had been corrected to the intended pitch (and are therefore preferable over the downloads) would have deserved a note in the booklet. (Or did I miss it?) Along with a note why some of the audience recordings and the lectures are missing. I don't think its a big loss since they are available in the download versions, after all, but I prefer clear and thorough information on such things.

13. Ckaz

Ckaz Forum Resident

Yes, the 1979-07-10 performance labelled "Peaches, Fort Lauderdale" is identical with the 1979-07-08 "Disc Records, Louisville" with many minutes of silence added at the end. I wrote to DGM about this and they said they'd be looking into the issue. I guess the same show was dumped twice onto the Blu Ray by mistake.

14. Al Okada

Al Okada Forum Resident

I could write an entire book on all of the minor details on each of these Frippertronics show which would include how much each loop was adjusted to bring it to standard tuning. I can say that Alex confirmed directly with Robert that he did indeed have some sort of tuner to ensure that he was (at least at first) tuned to A440 before beginning the first loop of each performance which is what Alex used as reference for the adjustments. The focus was to be on the music (as opposed to the spoken portions) for this box, which explains why they were excluded. I have not yet extracted the audio from the BluRays to confirm this, but I can confirm that there are indeed two completely separate performances. Louisville has two loops running just over 20 minutes and Fort Lauderdale has three loops running just over 26 minutes. Great music here, but unfortunately there was something off with the tape bias or one of the Revoxes or something else that caused some high frequency loss on some of the performances around this early July time period from July 5th to July 10th. You can compensate if you have the capability, but it brings a lot of tape hiss with it.

Ckaz, aphexj and ~dave~~wave~ like this.
  15. Al Okada

Al Okada Forum Resident

Just confirmed this. The 7/8/79 show is correctly loaded as Louisville. The 7/10/79 show isn't properly mapped via the menu. I don't know enough about extraction/authoring to know if it is actually on the disc, but the menu doesn't allow you to access it or if it was just loaded up wrong altogether.

Fractured, aphexj and ~dave~~wave~ like this.
  16. Music Geek

Music Geek Confusion will be my epitaph

Right or wrong I really don't think David Sylvian would ever approve an "everything and the kitchen sink" type of release of his material. Most artists are quite sensitive about what is "internal use only" and what is released to the public. If you think about Peter Gabriel or Genesis or many others, they would never do what Robert Fripp is doing with the King Crimson catalogue and neither would David Sylvian.

Instant Dharma likes this.
  17. Norco74

Norco74 For the good and the not so good…

That’s a start…:D

[​IMG]

willy likes this.
  18. Echoes71

Echoes71 Forum Resident

Has anyone had a chance to A/B the surround mixes of the 4th and 5th versions of Exposure (as featured on BD1)? In terms of instrument placement in speakers and panning choices, are they essentially the same surround mix, the only difference being vocalists etc?

19. SonicTitan

SonicTitan Well-Known Member

I ripped the BluRay and it appears that the 7/10 track has the before mentioned silence in the end, which the 7/8 track does not have. So it looks as @Ckaz said, that they might have chosen the correct track length but the wrong audio for the 7/10 show.

Al Okada likes this.
  20. aphexj

aphexj Sound mind & body

Weirdly, DVD Audio Extractor lists the longer track length for 79/7/10, but when I rip Disc 27 to FLAC it doesn't include the silence at the end... must be some kind of authoring glitch. Apart from the mis-labelled 1st & 2nd edition programs on Disc 25, I haven't seen anything else in the way of flaws on the Blu-ray discs

Last edited: Jun 27, 2022
  21. SonicTitan

SonicTitan Well-Known Member

Same with me, the additional minutes of silence are not included in my WAV oder ALAC rips, only to be seen in the mkv-file.

opiumden and aphexj like this.
  22. KirbysAdventure

KirbysAdventure Forum Resident

I can also confirm that my rip of the second Frippetronics disc duplicates the Disc Records performance as Peaches.
    [​IMG]

aphexj likes this.
  23. Al Okada

Al Okada Forum Resident

The Louisville one is correct. The Fort Lauderdale is not. I compared against the real Fort Lauderdale performance and it's totally different.

uzn007, Ckaz, opiumden and 1 other person like this.
  24. MichaelCPE

MichaelCPE Senior Member

It would be great if DGM took the simple and practical fix for this ....

Just make the FLAC download of the Fort Lauderdale performance free.

Yep, a few who have not bought the box will download it. But surely this would be very few, so it wouldn't cost DGM much at all to provide all those who have bought the box set (plus a few others) a 'free' download.

25. vcpj

vcpj Gomper

Mon Dieu, you would think at this cost there were be higher quality control. Shameful.