Robert Fripp Exposure box to be released

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by jblock, Jun 17, 2021.

1. brimuchmuze

brimuchmuze Forum Resident

There were far more serious issues on one of the previous KC boxes. Not sure who QCs these boxes, but reviewers didn't seem to notice.

Thank goodness for this forum!

2. alakulju

alakulju Music is the best! - FZ

Here we go again...

3. Ckaz

Ckaz Forum Resident

Hi Al!
    that idea was genius! The download on DGMLive tentatively listed as
    • 1979-05-29 - Zurich
      • has 4 loops clocking in at 5:01, 16:10, 6:09 and 18:53 respectively.
      • Loop 4 is very distinct and has an extremely long fade ending.
      • Loop 2 has a rather distinct abrupt ending and Loop 1 has a distinctive beginning. (Robert Fripp, 29th of May 1979 at Kammertheater )
    • 1979-05-09 - The Club, Brussels on the Blu Ray
      • has (as far as I could tell) 3 loops running 19:12, 5:31 and 17:09 minutes.
    When I time corrected Loop 4 (18:53) from Zurich to match the running time (auto adjusting pitch) of Loop 3 (17:09) from Brussels they matched!!
    So would Loop 2 from Zurich match Loop 1 from Brussels? Checking the wave form only part of it did. The end sounded similar. The begining didn't.

Then I noticed that Loop 1 from Zurich actually went into Loop 2 without any break or silence and the section between the two had a tell-tale wobble. So Loop 1 and 2 from Zurich together would clock in at 21:11:747 -- much closer to the 19:11 of Loop 1 from Brussels. Time correcting the merged-again loops they matched Loop 1 from Brussels perfectly, including the tell-tale wobble and the distinct beginning!

Needless to say, Loop 3 from Zurich, when corrected, is Loop 2 from Brussels.

So I can confirm: The download on DGMLive tentatively listed as "Kammertheater Zurich" (Robert Fripp, 29th of May 1979 at Kammertheater ) when pitch-corrected matches The Club, Brussels, on the Blu Ray.

And a great gig it is!

Many thanks @Al Okada !

Fractured, childerikov, Plan9 and 3 others like this.
  4. Diffusing

Diffusing Well-Known Member

I've been skimming this thread but haven't read every word, so apologies if this is a FAQ. For the Exposure experts out there:

I get that cd5 (Last of the Great New York etc.) is one of two early unreleased master tapes of what became the album Exposure. But I'm totally confounded by cd9: Breathless etc. I guess I can sum up my question as: what is it?

Unless I missed something, Breathless etc. is only fleetingly explained in Declan Colgan's liner notes: it "for the most part, restores the NYHT running order but with Daryl's vocals and using Steven Wilson's mixes". Which, OK, fine, but... that doesn't seem... to be the case...?

I'm hearing Hammill on "Disengage" & "Chicago", Roche on "Exposure" & "Mary", and the angry neighbors on "NY3". My ears are telling me that the tracks are the same as those on the Fourth Edition, but sequenced and indexed to mostly, but not completely, resemble NYHT. Is that correct? If so, I have to admit I'm a little disappointed that almost an entire disc is dedicated to what amounts to a playlist, with apparently no unique tracks. Perhaps I need to give it a closer listen to discern if the mixes and/or takes are different.

I really wish the liner notes had listed the musicians, especially the vocalists, to help clarify what's what. The four discs in the cardboard insert DO have musician credits, which leads me to suspect their omission for everything else was an unfortunate mistake. I hope I don't sound like an entitled complainer, but the lack of detail in the printed matter has been really nagging at me as I've been going through the contents. Exposures is an extraordinary treasure trove, and obviously a passion project that probably cost more than it will earn.

Instant Dharma and Deek57 like this.
  5. Voodoo Chile

Voodoo Chile Forum Resident

WOW, what a great surprise! On the cover of CDs “7-8-and-9” is my picture of Peter Gabriel and Robert Fripp at The Bottom Line, NYC on October 4, 1978 late show.

I posted the picture in 2002 on a Prog Rock forum, scanned with an old scanner and added this horrible watermark, later I found it circulating without the watermark, someone just removed the watermark by cutting the photo LOL

[​IMG]

Today I scanned the original with a new scanner and software, and processed it (color, resolution and definition)

[​IMG]

6. aphexj

aphexj Sound mind & body

Half an hour missing from well over... I forget how many, exactly, but over 100 hours of content perhaps... hard to spot a single missing line item in the grand deluge of other content to review

7. Lazerize

Lazerize Forum Resident

OH MY GOD

8. maki881

maki881 Forum Resident

They made a mistake there on the CD, it is what the description you quoted says (Hall‘s vocals on everything except I May Not Have Had..), but only on the Blu-Ray. In any case, Breathless or How.. is a playlist.

This gives me the opportunity to ask this question again:

Last edited: Jun 29, 2022
    Diffusing likes this.
  9. Instant Dharma

Instant Dharma Dude/man

Ok...the set came on Monday and actually finally opened the package last night, cursory look through overwhelmed me and I put it down until just now. Still overwhelmed!! How did you guys rip this etc? Each disk? I can rip the blu rays to minimize cpu time and rip the dvd too. Just trying to figure out the best way to ge this loaded up so I can jam.

10. Joseph LeVie

Joseph LeVie Forum Resident

I'm three quarters of the way through disc one. What have I got myself into? I knew this set wasn't for me before buying, but, I'm hoping for some gems in here somewhere. I just love the dude, but, I've never connected with his air pudding. 31.33 CDs to go!

alakulju, uzn007, ad180 and 2 others like this.
  11. Timjosephuk

Timjosephuk Forum Resident

31.25 :)

Joseph LeVie likes this.
  12. Music Geek

Music Geek Confusion will be my epitaph

If you can rip the contents of the Blu-ray discs then you can skip the DVDs.

I have ripped everything but the two Blu-ray discs with all Frippertronics performances. They would take too much space on my file server. I will just play the discs if I feel like playing more Frippertronics than what's already on the CDs.

13. Al Okada

Al Okada Forum Resident

Yes this appears to be correct. But about a year ago we revisited this issue of the true origin and I don't remember what the conclusion was. Alex raised the pitch by quite an unusually large amount as directed, so surely it is now correct. It is the same performance however and there are 4 loops (not 3). The first two loops of Zurich you've probably added together when quoting the running time of Brussels on the Blu Ray and missed that they were two separate loops. Hope this is helpful.

Last edited: Jun 29, 2022
    Ckaz and ~dave~~wave~ like this.
  14. asdf35

asdf35 Forum Resident

Finally got to sample some of these elusive discs. I went for discs 14-16, in the so-called "Discotronics" area. Very interesting stuff, bass and drums with Fripp surfing over the top. Nice jams and a respectable amount of content in that vein.

I never could connect to the Exposure album - too many voices and personalities. Great singers, but ultimately I'd prefer those songs as instrumentals. In the future I'll try to assemble an instrumental version of Exposure from this giant archive box. It may in fact already be presented this way, but the amount of material and info is overwhelming and hard for me to keep tabs!

15. Joseph LeVie

Oh yeah.

Timjosephuk likes this.
  16. grumpysparrow

grumpysparrow Well-Known Member

Except for Mel Collins...in a previous incarnation of KC, that is. ;)

17. grumpysparrow

grumpysparrow Well-Known Member

Great photo, Voodoo Chile!

footlooseman likes this.
  18. Al Okada

Al Okada Forum Resident

Actually...you're right about one thing. The original Zurich download split the first loop into two tracks for some unknown reason. There really is only 3 loops. But yes...same performance.

Ckaz likes this.
  19. Joseph LeVie

It's not like I don't have a lot of his solo work. However, disc 5 and 6 are already paying off. 26 to go!

20. tcj

tcj Senior Member

Same here - at least until this box. The disc you should focus on is Last Of The Great NYC Heartthrobs... as that is all Daryl Hall (aside from Peter Gabriel on Here Comes The Flood) vocals and it's excellent. Much, much more cohesive IMO than Exposure in any incarnation. I am NOT a fan of Terry Roche's contributions. I find her voice grating.

asdf35 likes this.
  21. albertop

albertop Forum Resident

Can someone confirm that CD 20 - Let the Power Fall is incorrectly listed as 2021 remaster, and it should be 2021 stereo mix plus additional tracks?
    I have compared it with the blu-ray rips, and I don't think this one is the original mix.

uzn007 likes this.
  22. Instant Dharma

Instant Dharma Dude/man

Yeah I did the dvds first, didn't realize there was so much overlap. Guess its gonna take a while to get this all sorted. Which is fine. I have nothing but time. ;)

23. Jimbino

Jimbino Goad Kicker, Music Lover

Only SLIGHTLY off-topic, but Fripp's book gets published this fall. Pre-order info below:
    Debut book by RF

Howard Bleach likes this.
  24. privit1

privit1 Senior Member

Funny I prefer the multi voice version, Nice to have them all though.

uzn007 and tcj like this.
  25. footlooseman

footlooseman Forum Resident

way to go Voo! You rock!