Robert Johnson: The Complete Original Masters - Centennial Edition Box Set

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by marc roberty, Feb 17, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DJ WILBUR

DJ WILBUR The Cappuccino Kid

this is an awesome cd by the way and really well mastered IMO...

2. GroovinGarrett

GroovinGarrett Mrs. Stately's Garden

From an Acoustic Sounds email that just arrived. Limited to 1,000 copies and an Acoustic Sounds exclusive. $349.99

http://store.acousticsounds.com/d/7...l_Masters_-_Centennial_Edition-Vinyl_Box_Sets

This isn't a recommendation; it's a declaration: Miss This One And You'll Be Sorry

Every once in a great while Acoustic Sounds owner Chad Kassem does his best to flat-out demand that his friends and best customers buy something. Why? Because he's positively certain that it's going to become outrageously collectible and is going to skyrocket in price in very short order. Yeah, Kassem recommends a lot of things. And he only recommends the stuff he believes is going to blow his customers away. But there's a difference between him recommending something and him essentially slapping somebody across the face in a "don't blow it" kind of way. This is one of those times. This recommendation comes not because of the sound quality but because this set is going to be so collectible. You can buy this now at the initial price. Or you can salivate over it later. It's that simple. Please remember, there are only 1,000 copies available.

Recreated in the historical look and feel of the 12 10" 78-RPM discs that originally carried Robert Johnson's music into the world in 1936 and 1937 (only playing at 45 RPM), this Limited Edition collector's set will be individually numbered - again, limited to 1,000. Housed in an actual 78-RPM album book - each "page" being a sleeve holding a single disc - each vinyl disc is outiftted with reproductions of the original record labels. Also included is a unique booklet with a new 1,500-word essay written by Ted Gioia, Texas-based pianist and music historian, and the author of Delta Blues: The Life and Times of the Mississippi Masters Who Revolutionized American Music (2008); Work Songs (2006); and The History Of Jazz (1997), telling the story of Robert Johnson, complete historic track annotation and discographic data and photos.

And with this set you get The Robert Johnson Centennial Collection (two CDs); Rarities From The Vaults (a two-CD set that includes Rare Victor Blues, recordings from the Sony/Victor vaults, as well as Also Playing, which is other performers who recorded on the same day); and The Life And Music Of Robert Johnson: Can't You Hear The Wind Howl (DVD).

This is just as cool as it gets. Ten-inch vinyl-disc replicas of Robert Johnson's Vocalion records, now at 45 RPM (instead of the original 78). And all put together in a 10x10-inch hardbound box set. These are without a doubt the most celebrated blues recordings ever. Sure, purists (and we're among them) would argue that there are many other blues recording artists who had as great an impact on the genre's evolution, but nobody can argue that Robert Johnson's output has been the most lasting, the most mythical, the most revered and certainly the most collectible of all blues recordings. Take a look at Ebay to get some idea of what an original - in horrible condition - sells for. This is as close as almost all of us will get to what it would feel like - and sound like - to have a Robert Johnson original in our mitts. And guess what? With the set limited to 1,000 copies, these too are going to be as rare as hen's teeth someday soon. So, please, do not be surprised or angry when these go out of print and we raise the price. Please accept this as a friendly warning.

Original source material provided by Bruce Bastin. Sound restoration by Harry Coster. Mastering by Vic Anesini.

ROBERT JOHNSON: THE COMPLETE ORIGINAL MASTERS - CENTENNIAL EDITION (Columbia/Legacy 88697 86066 1)

Sleeve 1: Vocalion 03416 - Kind Hearted Woman Blues (S1) / Terraplane Blues (S1)

Sleeve 2: Oriole 7-04-60 - 32-20 Blues (S2) / Last Fair Deal Gone Down (S3)

Sleeve 3: Conqueror 8871 - Dead Shrimp Blues (S3) / I Believe I'll Dust My Broom (S1)

Sleeve 4: Romeo 7-05-81 - Ramblin' On My Mind (S1) / Cross Road Blues (S3)

Sleeve 5: Romeo 7-07-57 - Come On In My Kitchen (S1) / They're Red Hot (S3)

Sleeve 6: Vocalion 03601 - Sweet Home Chicago (S1) / Walkin' Blues (S3)

Sleeve 7: Vocalion 03623 - From Four Until Late (D4) / Hell Hound On My Trail (D5)

Sleeve 8: Perfect 7-10-65 - Malted Milk (D5) / Milkcow's Calf Blues (D5)

Sleeve 9: Perfect 7-12-67 - Stones In My Passway (D4) / I'm A Steady Rollin' Man (D4)

Sleeve 10: Vocalion 04002 - Stop Breakin' Down Blues (D5) / Honeymoon Blues (D5)

Sleeve 11: Vocalion 04108 - Little Queen Of Spades (D5) / Me And The Devil Blues (D5)

Sleeve 12: Vocalion 04630 - Preachin' Blues (S3) / Love In Vain (D5)

Recording index:

S1 - San Antonio, Texas: Monday, November 23, 1936

S2 - San Antonio, Texas: Thursday, November 26, 1936

S3 - San Antonio, Texas: Friday, November 27, 1936

D4 - Dallas, Texas: Saturday, June 19, 1937

D5 - Dallas, Texas: Sunday, June 20, 1937

3. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

So new transfers/mastering, no?

4. Dubmart

Dubmart Senior Member

I'm sad to see it's an Acoustic Sounds exclusive, I was hoping there was a chance it would be offered for half price on Pop Market, with Acoustic Sounds the only way is up, for the price.

5. Laservampire

Laservampire Down with this sort of thing

Screw the repros, I just want the CDs!

lukpac likes this.
  6. Izozeles

Izozeles Pushing my limits

God, please give me the streght to resist temptation. I know a don´t need this. Do I?

7. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

Which? The 2 CD set will probably be fine for most folks.

8. monkboughtlunch

monkboughtlunch Senior Member

Acoustic Sounds should proof their marketing copy before they send out an email blast.

9. Izozeles

It`s de super deluxe edition with the 78s replicas that is driven me insane. No interest on the cds

10. monkboughtlunch

monkboughtlunch Senior Member

Aren't the 45 rpm 78 replicas sourced from digital files?

11. Jody

Jody Active Member

No doubt. But these are hardly being marketed as audiophile "all analog" remasters. Vic probably cleaned the recordings up so much, I'll put some dust on my discs before spinning them, to get that "authentic" sound. :)

12. Greg1954

Greg1954 New Member

I would think that the same digital files would be used to produce the 45 rpm vinyl as the CD's, and in that case, probably not much better in sound quality heard via the vinyl compared to the CD's. These are fairly restricted frequency range recordings, no matter how well the 78 transfers are carried out.

13. Jody

Jody Active Member

Hold on a minute... what exactly is different about the Acoustic Sounds offering, from what was already announced a while ago and is offered for sale at http://www.myplaydirect.com/robert-...al-masters-centennial-edition/details/5747793
    Not only are they identical and numbered to 1000, both sites claim exclusivity.

From Myplaydirect:
    from the Acoustic Sounds website:
    Well slap me across the face, someone is being dishonest.....

14. Izozeles

No doubt they are taken from digital files. It`s just the 78 replicas look amazingly beautiful

15. race records

race records Forum Resident

Yawn.

I'm only interested in a sonic upgrade to existing sources.

16. Laservampire

Laservampire Down with this sort of thing

The Centennial Edition 2 CD set will be out in a few days, anyone have an advance copy yet? I'm dying to hear if it sounds better than the previous remastering.

17. MikeyH

MikeyH Stamper King

I don't actually believe CD playback is that great, electronically, compared to a mediocre phono pre. It's one of the reasons I like a computer and a good DAC over a regular CD player.

I'd suspect there's a lot of 'nice stuff' on the 78/45 reproductions. And we have no idea, IIRC, about the resolution of the masters of the latest transfers ...

18. Mylene

Mylene Senior Member

The Beach Boys get a real 78 and Robert Johnson gets a 45 rpm replica?? Welcome to the 21st century :laugh:

19. Davidmk5

Davidmk5 Forum Resident

Good laaawd , the devil be getting into dat Boys pants !! Heezz up & throwin sand upon his gosh darn Rekkids !! :agree:

Me wants one too , too much $$$ though :shake:

20. Evan L

Evan L Beatologist

i'll spring for the 2 CD set; I hope the mastering is better on this set.

Evan

21. bw

bw Forum Resident

22. Dubmart

Dubmart Senior Member

23. hvbias

hvbias Midrange magic

24. bw

bw Forum Resident

I really like AcousticSounds. They have always treated me well, so I hope this does not turn into an AcousticSounds bash session.

I just think the entire package is way over the top.

25. ssmith3046

ssmith3046 Forum Resident

I agree. I've been buying from Acoustic Sounds for several years and will continue to do so as long as I continue to get excellent customer service and quality packing so that my records show up in one piece. I don't need this particular set though.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.