Robert Johnson: The Complete Original Masters - Centennial Edition Box Set

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by marc roberty, Feb 17, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

One final note for now - I got it for $16 from my local store. I'm sure it could be found for a few dollars less online. IMO at that price there's no reason not to pick this up.

2. Greg1954

Greg1954 New Member

No, it's a steal, I got mine this morning, and am quite pleased. 'Till now I've only had the 1990 set.:hide:

I think me and RJ are due to be re-acquainted.

3. signothetimes53

signothetimes53 Senior Member

Oh dear.

Steve LaVere wrote the liner notes?!?

No matter how authoritative they might be, he is not an individual who is highly revered in the blues community. Just knowing he wrote them makes my skin crawl. He makes Phil Chess look like Mother Theresa.

4. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

There's one (3 page) essay by Ted Gioia, another (12 page) by LeVere, and another 4 pages about the recordings from LeVere. He also produced the set.

5. signothetimes53

I'll bet he paid himself handsomely. I need to go take a shower.

6. Greg1954

Greg1954 New Member

He's a good writer.

7. signothetimes53

For jazz, yes.

His book on the blues was horrible, pretentious trash.

8. Evan L

Evan L Beatologist

None of my local stores bothered to get this---I had to special order it. :realmad:

Evan

9. Greg1954

Greg1954 New Member

Hmmm.

I read his History Of Jazz and was impressed. Wanted to read the blues book, but maybe I'll reconsider.:) Subject for another thread anyhow.

10. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

LaVere has been the primary person behind all of the other CDs, hasn't he? Either in the form of liner notes, production, or both, correct?

11. Electric

Electric The Medium is the Massage

Sounds like all issues of this have the alternates/outakes at the end of the discs contrary to what Amazon shows? Anyone have a copy where the alternates are not at the end of the discs? Yes, I may be confused. :confused:

12. signothetimes53

Lawrence Cohn produced the 1990 box set, though LaVere undoubtedly had a large hand legally behind the scenes. I don't remember if he wrote liner notes for previous reissues.

LaVere has a long history of legal involvement with Robert Johnson and Johnson's family. Do a google search and you will see what I mean. He's not universally loved.

13. frank3si

frank3si Forum Resident

14. signothetimes53

Send me your address by private message, I'll send you my copy, free, and I'll pay the postage. I hated the book that much, and I've read a lot of blues books in the last 40 years. And if you get past the first two chapters without rolling your eyes at the pretentious, elitist writing, I'll owe you a beer should we ever meet.

:laugh:

15. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

I'm pretty sure anything that lists the alternates intermixed is incorrect. Wal-Mart has the correct track order listed:

http://www.walmart.com/ip/16419964

I can check later, but I believe he wrote at least one set of liners for the '90 box and was producer on one or both of the KOTDBS CDs.

16. Greg1954

Greg1954 New Member

I think their XR process is terrible. If you seek 'natural' integral sound, stay away.

17. signothetimes53

Amen.

XR/Pristine is the antithesis of what people here are generally looking for sonically. Stay away, unless you like throwing your money away.

18. frank3si

frank3si Forum Resident

Yipes. Thanks for the quick feedback...

19. So is this new mastering the best sounding RJ digital transfer so far?

Should I sell my Mastersound gold disc and grab one of these?

20. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

Arguably.

I'd say pick up the new set, compare, and then decide if you want to keep the Mastersound for any reason.

21. Pants Party

Pants Party MOSTLY PEACEFUL

Agreed, really nice essay. Personally, after reading that...I'm done with Acoustic Sounds. I always had the impression I was doing them a favor by doing business with them. I imagine "Comic-book-store-guy" from the The Simpsons.
    Nicely packaged, deluxe sets NEVER need this. :thumbsdn:

22. Izozeles

Izozeles Pushing my limits

As long as Ac continues producing great sounding records, I´ll keep on buying their albums. I´m glad they are making money; that ensures they will stay in business.

23. ziggysane

ziggysane Forum Resident

I MIGHT have to pull the trigger on this based on this and other reviews. I told myself that I wasn't going to buy ANOTHER reissue of RJ's catalog, but given the sonic improvements touted here I'd be hard pressed not to consider it.

24. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

Even if you don't consider this a (significant) upgrade over the KOTDBS CDs, the alternate takes* *are* a significant upgrade over the previous complete boxes.

*KOTDBS uses the alternate take of Cross Road Blues; the new set gets you the *master* take in upgraded fidelity.

25. How do these compare to the vinyl reissues that came out a couple of years back. I was looking a getting the lps as all I have at the moment is the 1990 long box having sold my original 60s vinyl many years ago.

However if the new cd set is superior then it's the obvious way to go.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.