Robert Pattinson to Play ‘The Batman’ for Matt Reeves and Warner Bros.

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by AKA, May 16, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member

Notes from the video

From Warner Bros. Pictures comes “The Batman,” with director Matt Reeves (the “Planet of the Apes” films) at the helm and with Robert Pattinson (“Tenet,” “The Lighthouse,” “Good Time”) starring as Gotham City’s vigilante detective, Batman, and billionaire Bruce Wayne.

Also in the star-studded ensemble as Gotham’s famous and infamous cast of characters are Zoë Kravitz (“Fantastic Beasts: The Crimes of Grindelwald,” “Mad Max: Fury Road”) as Selina Kyle; Paul Dano (“Love & Mercy,” “12 Years a Slave”) as Edward Nashton; Jeffrey Wright (the “Hunger Games” films) as the GCPD’s James Gordon; John Turturro (the “Transformers” films) as Carmine Falcone; Peter Sarsgaard (“The Magnificent Seven,” “Black Mass”) as Gotham D.A. Gil Colson; Barry Keoghan (“Dunkirk”) as Officer Stanley Merkel; Jayme Lawson (“Farewell Amor”) as mayoral candidate Bella Reál; with Andy Serkis (the “Planet of the Apes” films, “Black Panther”) as Alfred; and Colin Farrell (“Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them,” “Dumbo”) as Oswald Cobblepot.

“The Batman” was written by Matt Reeves & Peter Craig. Reeves and Dylan Clark (the “Planet of the Apes” films) are producing the film, with Simon Emanuel, Michael E. Uslan, Walter Hamada and Chantal Nong Vo serving as executive producers. Reeves’ behind-the-scenes creative team includes Oscar-nominated director of photography Greig Fraser (“Lion,” upcoming “Dune”); his “Planet of the Apes” production designer, James Chinlund; editors William Hoy (the “Planet of the Apes” films) and Tyler Nelson (“Rememory”); Oscar-winning VFX supervisor Dan Lemmon (“The Jungle Book”); Oscar-nominated SFX supervisor Dominic Tuohy (“1917,” “Star Wars: Episode IX – The Rise of Skywalker”); Oscar-nominated sound mixer Stuart Wilson (“1917,” the “Star Wars” franchise); Oscar-winning costume designer Jacqueline Durran (“1917,” “Little Women,” “Anna Karenina”) and costume designers Glyn Dillon (the “Star Wars” franchise) and David Crossman (“1917,” the “Star Wars” franchise); hair designer Zoe Tahir (upcoming “No Time to Die,” “Spectre”); and Oscar-nominated makeup designer Naomi Donne (“1917”).

Based on characters from DC. Batman was created by Bob Kane with Bill Finger. “The Batman” is set to open in theaters October 1, 2021 in select 3D and 2D and IMAX theaters and will be distributed worldwide by Warner Bros. Pictures.

SandAndGlass and Chrome_Head like this.
  2. Chrome_Head

Chrome_Head Planetary Resident

Not sure if you were being rhetorical here, but no, it has nothing to do with that Nolan universe of films.

I don't get all the hubbub about a "Snyder cut" of Justice League, which was a movie that was ok to passable at best. Full Snyder may make it worse. And who cares about a movie released over 3 years ago?

You don’t see Marvel doing stuff like this, because generally they got it right the first time.

I also don't get how Affleck was not able to parlay his talents in front of and behind the camera to make his own Batman. Seems like DC were willing to give him the keys to the entire franchise. Really, all he had to do was make an Arkham Asylum Batman movie, drawing on the graphic novel and the games, and every fanboy alive would have flocked to it and Warners would have made a billion. Probably just as well as we're getting a much different take on the character from Matt Reeves.

Jesus, that seems a long way off. But I guess it's only a little over a year.

Last edited: Aug 23, 2020
    guppy270 likes this.
  3. PTgraphics

PTgraphics Senior Member

I thunk it looks good from the trailer. I think a Batman movie should be ‘dark’.

Chrome_Head likes this.
  4. 5th-beatle

5th-beatle Forum Resident

Interesting trailer, and since the story apparently happens at the beginning of Batman's crime-fighting career, it should be quite different from previous films.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Jeffrey Wright as James Gordon:

[​IMG]

Colin Farrell as The Penguin:

[​IMG]

Zoë Kravitz as Catwoman:

[​IMG]

5. SteveRes

SteveRes Forum Resident

I really liked Affleck as Bruce/Batman. Didn't think I would but he was perfect. Shame how it turned out.
    I'll give Pattinson the benefit of the doubt but colour me underwhelmed.

6. Scope J

Scope J Senior Member

& The Lighthouse

SandAndGlass and Chris DeVoe like this.
  7. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

It's tough for actors to escape the shadow of successful "teenybop" roles.

Johnny Depp managed to do it, but it took years.

Pattinson's gone way beyond the "Twilight" era, but because he's been in no hits other than "Twilight" and its sequels, that's how he's known to 95% of the public.

Presumably "Batman" - and "Tenet" - will help change that...

Chrome_Head and Scope J like this.
  8. SandAndGlass

SandAndGlass Twilight Forum Resident

Pattinson was in the Harry Potter movies.

9. AirJordanFan93

AirJordanFan93 Forum Resident

They pre-date Twilight though. He was in the 4th Harry Potter movie and that was 2005.

10. SandAndGlass

I am aware of that.

He doesn't have a large part, as screen time goes, but he does have a significant part, which effects the story line.

The point is that Pattinson has had a significant acting career both before and after the Twilight Saga.

He is not unlike many other actors, who perform in a roll that sets them up and makes them highly recognizable in the public eye.

Pattinson, continued playing characters as he had all along. He did not come off the Twilight franchise and hold out for tentpole projects with high paychecks.

If you look at the I.M.D.B. acting history for most actors, it is packed with many lesser known movies.

Both before and after roles that made them famous.

A good example of this throught movie history is after they win a best actor/actress Oscar and then immediately go on to make the next box office bomb.

Pattinson made five feature length movies during the filming of the Twilight Saga movies.

He continued on his same path after Breaking Dawn - Part 2 in 2012.

Which only goes on to prove that he has staying power to be cast in key movies of 2020 and 2021.

Seven years passed between Potter #4 and Twilight #5. Eight more years passed between Twilight #5 and Tenant this year.

In the movie business people can come and go in a blink of an eye.

Pizza likes this.
  11. melstapler

melstapler Reissue Activist

This film seems to be closer in concept to "The Batman" animated series, which aired from about 2003-2008. That animated series had a new take on the heroes and villains alike, with a younger version of Batman.
    [​IMG]

Walt, Lenny99, alexpop and 1 other person like this.
  12. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Think he’ll be good.

13. Oatsdad

And he played a small role. No one looks at the "Potter" flicks as being "Pattinson films".

Pattinson gets some credit for the success of the 'Twilight" franchise but zero credit for the Potters because he was a tiny part of them.

My point was that Pattinson hasn't starred in any hit films outside of the "Twilight" movies...

14. PH416156

PH416156 Alea Iacta Est

15. David Campbell

David Campbell Forum Resident

16. Voodoo Child

Voodoo Child Just A Flea-Bit Peanut Monkey

Not surprised, his mask is covering the wrong part of his face!

Graham likes this.
  17. PH416156

PH416156 Alea Iacta Est

He will be better for sure. What I noticed about the Covid 19, famous people are hardly hurt by it. They may test positive, but they heal. Eg Tom Hanks, Dwayne Johnson, Madonna.

MikaelaArsenault likes this.
  18. Chrome_Head

Chrome_Head Planetary Resident

Not to mention all the elderly politician-types that seem to have contracted it and are still alive.

SandAndGlass and PH416156 like this.
  19. PH416156

PH416156 Alea Iacta Est

$$$ makes the difference, no surprises.

BeatleJWOL and Chrome_Head like this.
  20. SandAndGlass

21. MikaelaArsenault

MikaelaArsenault Forum Resident

melstapler likes this.
  22. Oatsdad