Robert Pattinson to Play ‘The Batman’ for Matt Reeves and Warner Bros.

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by AKA, May 16, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lenny99

Lenny99 The truth sets you free.

I can’t remember this series.

The Batman I like is the Batman driven to seek justice. He stops at nothing. This desire is based on the traumatic event of seeing his parents murdered. His desire for justice is a desire to seek justice for his parents. This Batman never knows who killed his parents. It was a senseless at of madness.

There was, nor is there any hope of Bruce Wayne finding their killer. In fact he has probably passed away or has retired from his life of crime.

In this way Bruce Wayne (Batman) is a classic tragic character. He has all he should want; Extreme amount of money, power, intelligence, etc. But, he cannot enjoy his life. His drive to seek justice dominates his life.

In fact, it’s only by his butler, Alfred, that young Bruce did not tilt toward a life of crime. He could have drifted in that direction. He could have used his vast sums of money to terrorize the world.

Obviously he is mentally troubled.

I remember the scene from the Warner Brother’s cartoon series from the 80’s. It’s a Christmas show. Dick Grayson and Bruce are watching a move which Dick rented: “Its a Wonderful Life”. Dick asks Bruce, “Tell me you’ve never seen this movie”. to which Bruce replies, “I could never get past the title”.

That’s the Batman I like.

2. 5th-beatle

5th-beatle Forum Resident

I hope he'll get better soon and filming will continue without problems. This movie could be an interesting, different take on the character.

MikaelaArsenault likes this.
  3. lahtbp

lahtbp Forum Resident

I’m hoping for a movie that has a similar vibe to the Batman Animated series.

daca likes this.
  4. Chrome_Head

Chrome_Head Planetary Resident

Which one? There are several. You mean the Bruce Timm series?

[​IMG]

BeatleJWOL and lahtbp like this.
  5. daca

daca Currently on Double Secret Probation

If this Batman turns out be rated R, I will give it a chance.

Anything has to be better that Todd Phillips’ Joker movie. I still have an open case will my credit card company for a refund. That was a horrible amalgamation of Taxi Driver and The King of Comedy. Seriously Todd, write your own movies.

One, Batflack was terrible.

Only thing positive thing I can say is Batflack was not the worst. Still Clooney or Kilmer. And as much as I like Kilmer’s other work, his Batman was terrible.

Agree. If it is rated R. A dark Batman movie will be welcomed.

6. Chrome_Head

It's probably not going to be rated R.

7. lahtbp

lahtbp Forum Resident

Yeah, the original one. From 1993 I think.

Chrome_Head likes this.
  8. daca

daca Currently on Double Secret Probation

I won’t put words into @lahtbp ’s post; however, I am sure this is a reference to the original Batman: The Animated Series from 1992.

lahtbp likes this.
  9. Chrome_Head

Great, great show--today happens to be the 28th anniversary of when it first aired. I started a new thread for it over here:

Batman: TAS first aired September 6th, 1992--your favorite episodes?

lahtbp likes this.
  10. lahtbp

lahtbp Forum Resident

Chrome_Head likes this.
  11. Chrome_Head

[​IMG]

lahtbp likes this.
  12. 5th-beatle

Last edited: Sep 7, 2020
    Stormrider77 likes this.
  13. Chrome_Head

Loved it. Greg Capullo’s art slaps.

Currently reading part 1 of the “Three Jokers” series, also under the DC ‘Black Label’ banner.

5th-beatle likes this.
  14. 5th-beatle

15. SandAndGlass

SandAndGlass Twilight Forum Resident

Binni, melstapler and 5th-beatle like this.
  16. Solitaire1

Solitaire1 Carpenters Fan

Lenny99 wrote the following as part of post:

This reminds of an episode of Justice League where Superman, Batman, Wonder Woman, and Green Lantern have been turned into kids (checked YouTube and the episode's name is "Kid Stuff"). At the end of the episode, when they've been returned to their real age, Wonder Woman is talking about how it was enjoyable to be a kid again. Batman coldly says: "I haven't been a kid since I was 8 years old."

Simon A and Lenny99 like this.
  17. Mirrorblade.1

Mirrorblade.1 Forum Resident

This movie is mess period .. moody spoiled actor who refuses the directors demands..
    Reeves, should call it quits on this movie. U.k is always having surges of the virus.

18. Voodoo Child

Voodoo Child Just A Flea-Bit Peanut Monkey

19. Holerbot6000

Holerbot6000 Forum Resident

it sure sounds like a mess. I was already questioning whether we need another Batman reboot right now. They should just bring back Ben and make the Dark Knight Returns movie already. I don't think much of Pattinson as an actor either but I know I am in the minority.

20. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

We can Monday morning QB this film all we want, but it's gonna happen, and I won't judge it - or Pattinson - until I see it! :shrug:

I'm old enough to remember how crazy negative Keaton's casting was for the 1989 movie - and all the negativity about Ledger for "Dark Knight"...

21. Holerbot6000

Holerbot6000 Forum Resident

Well the crazy negative reaction to Keaton was spot on. I was so excited about that movie and we got short Batman. Never quite got over that one.

22. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

:shrug: I thought Keaton was very good in the role - best Batman until Bale, IMO.

Anyway, whatever you or I feel, Keaton's Batman was widely accepted by the public and his movies did well. His casting wasn't the catastrophe many believed it would be...

23. Lenny99

I have to agree. Keaton was a good Batman. He had that certain craziness that Batman must have. A mad look in his eyes. In that first movie when Keaton first appears as Batman and breaks up a crime by several criminals, he lets one go. He tells him to tell all the other criminals the Batman is now here.

Obviously Bruce Wayne is a little mentally ill. He can’t stop chasing crime if he wanted to stop. Driven to bring justice to a hopeless cause, the death of his parents. And remember, the original story never IDs the thug who murdered them. That’s why it’s so maddening to Bruce. Just senseless violence.

I actually liked the latest Batman, Ben Aflac. He had that angry violence in his version. Batman actually hates criminals. “They are a superstitious cowardly lot”. In one early cartoon movie (I think Mr Freeze) in the opening sequence Batman and Robin beat up two thieves who were robbing a store. They beat them pretty bad and then throw them on a pile of garbage as the police cars finally arrive.

In my opinion Bruce Wayne is a tragic character from a classic Shakespearean type play. He had all he could want; enormous money, power, looks, and on. Yet, he is unable to enjoy his life. He is driven to accomplish a hopeless task, establishing justice.

One more point, and I hope I’m not going on too long, I believe the director has almost as much to do with the Batman character as the actor. If the actor nor the director understand the complex character of Bruce Wayne the movie is done.

A big star actor maybe able to steer the Batman character in the proper way if the director is inept. But one of them must understand the madness that drives Bruce Wayne who in all reality is a criminal: An illegal vigilante.

Just my take.

5th-beatle, budwhite and SandAndGlass like this.
  24. Lenny99

I agree. This show hit the nail on the head. Remember the episode when a small time chump was supposed to have killed Batman. When Joker hears this news he decides to test the news. The Joker robs a jewelry store and waits for Batman to show. When he doesn’t Joker’s furious. He makes his gang put the stolen jewelry back.

SandAndGlass and Chrome_Head like this.
  25. Chrome_Head

I think Chris Nolan really understood the inherent dichotomy of Batman. Zach Snyder does not, but Affleck still did okay in the role in spite of some terrible writing. He looked awesome in the suit as well.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.