Robert Pattinson to Play ‘The Batman’ for Matt Reeves and Warner Bros.

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by AKA, May 16, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. agentalbert

agentalbert Senior Member

God, I hated the Afflect look in the Batman suit. He looked like a tank. Even more so than the Bale Batman, which already had him get pretty muscular. I don't like that at all. I was/am really looking forward to the kind of Batman look I expect from Pattinson, who isn't likely to look any more athletic than Adam West did. I've had enough of Batman looking like Robocop.

budwhite and SandAndGlass like this.
  2. Chrome_Head

Chrome_Head Planetary Resident

It really seemed like Snyder was trying to remake the Batman Vs Superman fight from Frank Miller's The Dark Knight Returns comic from the 1980's. In that story, Batman was drawn with considerable bulk by Miller, and that seems to be what they were going for with Affleck.

One thing I liked about Bat-Fleck was--he had the voice modulator thing built into the suit, so he didn't have to do some silly gruff Batman voice like Bale did, which often sounded ridiculous IMO.

BeatleJWOL likes this.
  3. BeatleJWOL

BeatleJWOL Carnival of Light enjoyer... IF I HAD ONE

Dark Knight had the Bat-voice right.

Dark Knight Rises kicked it into overdrive. Not in a good way.

4. agentalbert

I think that look worked better in the comic than it does on screen live action. But I agree with you on the voice part.

Chrome_Head likes this.
  5. Chrome_Head

Bale was great but his Bat-voice was all pretty overblown-sounding to me. Except for that great part where he is dangling the guy upside down off the building in Batman Begins--"Swear to ME!!"

vinnie and BeatleJWOL like this.
  6. BeatleJWOL

Hard to beat Kevin Conroy, anyway. The movies try their best. :D

funhouse and Chrome_Head like this.
  7. Solitaire1

Solitaire1 Carpenters Fan

Concerning the person who has murdered his parents, the writers have flipped back and forth over the years. In the miniseries Infinite Crisis the entire world is altered. In one panel, the identity of the man who murdered Bruce's parents was a mystery. Then, history is altered and the murderer of his parents was caught (in the next panel they show a headline on a newspaper indicating this).

Often, it seems that Bruce is destined to become Batman no matter what happens. As an example, in the story "To Kill A Legend" the Batman of Earth-One is given an opportunity to travel to another Earth where the parents of the Bruce Wayne of that Earth haven't been murdered yet. Batman does prevent the murders and leaves. However, young Bruce Wayne witnesses Batman save his parents and that leaves an impression on him. His parents noted that Bruce has started to apply himself to his studies (studying books on detectives and science) and exercising, and the story ends with an indication that he will eventually become Batman...but not out of grief but out of gratitude to the one who saved his parents.

8. Chrome_Head

I prefer the 80’s continuity in the Untold Legend Of The Batman series (I believe Denny ‘O Neil wrote it). Bruce’s parents killer was a hood named Joe Chill, and Bruce tracks him years later to a hideout in costume and I think the guy dies of a heart attack when Bruce unmasks to him.

Nolan did the Joe Chill stuff very well in Batman Begins as well, but of course, it wasn’t some random murder in that film but a plot to destabilize Gotham by Ra’s Al Ghoul.

9. Solitaire1

Solitaire1 Carpenters Fan

There was another story where Batman comes after Joe Chill and reveals that Chill was the one who murdered his parents. Chill escapes and goes to the other criminals and says something like Batman's after him because he killed his parents. The rest of the criminals turn on him and kill him because he's the reason that Batman exists...but they didn't get Batman's name before Chill died.

Concerning a reason Batman fights crime, see the following*:

*The Batman in the darker costume is from the world of The Justice Lords, where Superman killed Lex Luthor after Luthor killed The Flash. That Superman leads The Justice League (who became The Justice Lords) to take complete control of the world.

Chrome_Head likes this.
  10. 5th-beatle

5th-beatle Forum Resident

Robert Pattinson as Bruce Wayne, Zoë Kravitz as Selina Kyle and Colin Farrell as The Penguin, earlier today in Liverpool:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

11. Quadboy

Quadboy Forum Resident

Liverpool (where it's being filmed right now) today went onto full lockdown again due to very high Covid infection rates.
    The highest in the UK.
    It will be a miracle if the shoot gets by without further related setbacks.

12. Quadboy

Quadboy Forum Resident

13. Kyle B

Kyle B Forum Resident

Batman needs to be less glum and have more fun. How come Batman doesn’t dance anymore? Remember the Bat-usi?

agentalbert and Old Rusty like this.
  14. BeatleJWOL

Pepperidge Farm remembers!

JediJones likes this.
  15. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

JediJones likes this.
  16. Lenny99

Lenny99 The truth sets you free.

The Batman is a dark character. I love his relentless determination to “create” justice.

My favorite cartoon movie is “Mask of the Phantasm”. I think it’s one of the first. That movie captured the damaged soul of Batman.

Chrome_Head likes this.
  17. Holerbot6000

Holerbot6000 Forum Resident

Like others have said, I think they were going for a Dark Knight Returns aesthetic the way they outfitted Ben's costume, but in a lot of ways it kinda worked. My only complaint is that the cowl smooshed up Ben's face too much and made him look a little silly. I still thought he did a good job though. He got the attitude right and actually, I will go out on a limb and say that he is my favorite Bruce Wayne so far. Bale's Bruce was a little too smarmy and Keaton's Bruce just came off like a confused doofus. Like I said before, I wouldn't mind seeing Ben tackle some of the Frank Miller 'Old Batman' stuff at all. Just me though.

18. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Chrome_Head and SandAndGlass like this.
  19. Chrome_Head

We seem to have reached a point now where there will be multiple narratives and multiple actors playing these characters at the same time.

Much like the comics I guess? I don't mind more Affleck as Batman actually. Just strange they would do this on top of the Pattinson / Reeves film, though who knows when that will actually be finished now.

20. 5th-beatle

5th-beatle Forum Resident

Bruce Wayne and Alfred Pennyworth:

[​IMG]

21. agentalbert

Is this coming ever? I'm more interested in this new Batman than more Aquaman or any of the coming MCU movies.

22. BeatleJWOL

This was already a little ways out before the pandemic.

23. Chrome_Head

March 2022, supposedly. Filming has wrapped.

24. There have already been test screenings going by reports. Supposedly a very dark, almost horror-themed film. It's going to be vastly different than any prior live-action Batman.

25. Voodoo Child

Voodoo Child Just A Flea-Bit Peanut Monkey

The new trailer...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.