Robert Pattinson to Play ‘The Batman’ for Matt Reeves and Warner Bros.

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by AKA, May 16, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dprokopy

dprokopy Senior Member

Have you actually watched any of the movies he's been in recently? He's made some very bold choices, mostly in smaller independent films, none of which are even remotely like the teen heartthrob roles he started with. The dude actually has some chops. In fact, this Batman movie would be his most high-profile role in years. Pull up his IMDb page and tell me how many of his post-Twilight movies you've heard of, let alone actually watched.

2. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

People crap on Pattinson for the "Twilight" movies, but IMO, the first one was good. They went downhill from there, but the original worked pretty well - and I thought Pattison was good in it:

" Pattinson seems especially impressive as Edward. He really shows the character’s inner turmoil as his heart battles with his mind. We can clearly see why he would appeal to a girl – especially an awkward one like Bella – but Pattinson gives Edward a particular coat of quirkiness as well. Yeah, he remains bound to the James Dean school of teen guys, but Pattinson still turns in a nice piece of acting. "

SandAndGlass, BeatleJWOL and dprokopy like this.
  3. Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden MichiGort Staff

He's a good actor. I am fine with this decision as long as he does not sparkle in daylight.

4. dprokopy

dprokopy Senior Member

Kind of makes sense for a vampire to turn into a bat...
    [​IMG]

5. soundboy

soundboy Senior Member

Jake Gyllenhaal should be the next Batman.

6. Squealy

Squealy Forum Hall Of Fame

I always thought Christian Bale looked more like Dick Grayson than Bruce Wayne.

7. budwhite

budwhite Climb the mountains and get their good tidings.

I thought Affleck and Irons was just fine. But they had lousy scripts and production to work with.
    Not excited about a new movie.

But it can be good if they drop the origin story and focus more on Batman as a great mind/detective.
    But I don't see that happening and certainly not with a younger former teen idol.

Give me Ed Norton as Bat in his mid 50s and with a Sherlock Holmes mind. Yeah I know, to slow and to old. A hard sell.
    Something that might work better in a mini series on the streaming platforms, maybe

mx20 likes this.
  8. Encuentro

Encuentro Forum Resident

Stormrider77 and melstapler like this.
  9. budwhite

Hahha what do I know. Good news if true.
    Still think it would work better with an older actor but good news story wise. Has batman ever been a detective on the big screen or was that just in the comics?

10. Chazro

Chazro Forum Resident

Saw a posting elsewhere saying Pattisons old running buddy; Taylor Lautner, would make a great Robin to his Batman. The kid's definitely got the face for It!;)

11. Avenging Robot

Avenging Robot Senior Member

So I'll just throw this out, does Batman really need to have a gravelly voice? Will the world fall apart if an actor doesn't do this cliche?

12. budwhite

Well i don't know, what's the alternative? Batman being a modern wimpy boychild?
    That's not a Batman. He's suppose to scare the crap out of the gangsters.
    Which worked great in Batman Begins for example

Ginger Ale and daca like this.
  13. Avenging Robot

How about, oh I don't know, using a normal voice like a sane person would.

Matthew Tate and Chris DeVoe like this.
  14. Chazro

Chazro Forum Resident

Batman's deep voice/growl only manifested itself in the movies. Prior to that the best example of a voice change when changing identities would have to be Bud Collier changing from Clark to Supes in the classic cartoon series!

15. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

Christopher Reeve used very different voices for Clark and Supes in those movies!

16. budwhite

Batman isn't a "sane" normal person.
    It's just a movie of course but who the hell would be scared of him if talks like regular people to the bad guys. He's suppose to be this mythical ninja larger than life dude who works in the shadows.

He should definitely change his voice in some way

17. Avenging Robot

...and by the same token he is not an insane person either, so to go into the dual persona bit so completely that you need to use another voice is as subtle as a sledgehammer...

Last edited: May 17, 2019
  18. Encuentro

Encuentro Forum Resident

I liked the way Batman’s voice was handled in the Michael Keaton era. He spoke very softly, almost whispered, which to my ears, is more menacing than the Christian Bale-era growl.

19. Encuentro

Encuentro Forum Resident

As long as we’re on the topic of Batman’s voice, I thought I’d share this video of Batman testing a variety of different voices. Enjoy!

20. Mirrorblade.1

Mirrorblade.1 Forum Resident

Let Kevin Conroy did the batman voice..

BeatleJWOL likes this.
  21. I'm a movie reviewer with hundreds and hundreds of published reviews. So yes, I'm familiar with his quirky choice in roles over the past decade. He's not being cast for his indie work, but because millions of teenage girls a decade ago fell in love with him as a sparkling vampire. Those same teenage girls are now adult women Warner hopes to lure into theaters. He's also British, which is the second-most important English-speaking market for superhero movies. It's why the studio keeps casting Brits in leading superhero roles (Bale and Cavill).

I don't have a huge problem with Pattinson playing Batman. He doesn't seem like the absolute best choice, but I suspect he came cheaper than some other choices.

22. Avenging Robot

Discount Batman! The story of hundredaire playboy Bruce Wayne.

23. Grunge Master

Grunge Master 8 Bit Enthusiast

In my opinion, you have Keaton and Bale at the top (either could be 1 or 2), and then a large drop off to whomever you think is next. Like, a LARGE drop off.

Motorcity supernaut likes this.
  24. Chris DeVoe

Chris DeVoe RIP Vickie Mapes Williams (aka Equipoise)

You didn't say whether or not you'd actually seen him in any of these quirky roles.

SandAndGlass likes this.
  25. Chris DeVoe

Chris DeVoe RIP Vickie Mapes Williams (aka Equipoise)

Just to follow up, my wife, who sees hundreds of films in the theater every year had this to say about Pattinson:

263) Cosmopolis @ CenEv. Great! Very talky (much wooshed over my head), coal-black humor, Pattinson sensational (CAN ACT), Must see again.

291) Good Time @ RE21. Wow. Thought this was incredible. Could Robert Pattinson please get some respect now? Cosmopolis should've done it.

164) High Life @ RE21. Directed by Claire Denis, w Robert Pattinson & Juliette Binoche. Prison lifers/death row inmates are recruited for a deep space mission to a black hole & to research fertility in deep space. A lot of it was very confusing to me, but Pattinson's brilliant.

She also praised his work in Damsel and The Rover.

SandAndGlass likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.