Robert Pattinson to Play ‘The Batman’ for Matt Reeves and Warner Bros.

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by AKA, May 16, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BeatleJWOL

BeatleJWOL Carnival of Light enjoyer... IF I HAD ONE

The best Batman voice has already been mentioned:

2. will_b_free

will_b_free Forum Resident

Michael Keaton’s Batman figured out something about the chemicals being used by the Joker. More scientific analysis than gumshoe detective work, but clearly meant to show that he uses his noggin when fighting crime.

3. Gill-man

Gill-man Forum Resident

Can’t be any worse than Bale’s.

Encuentro likes this.
  4. Zoot Marimba

Zoot Marimba And I’m The Critic Of The Group

Or “the gay cowboy is going to be The Joker? WTF is Nolan thinking?”

5. SandAndGlass

SandAndGlass Twilight Forum Resident

Yes they are.

We are getting too many geriatrics playing the hero roles. At 33 Pattinson is no longer the teenager he played in the Twilight movies.

I have had a lot of guests over and have played the entire Twilight Saga for them over the course of a few weeks on the HT.

Every single guest, both male and female enjoyed the Twilight movies and thought they were all worth seeing.

Not a single complaint, and this was coming from older adults who have never watched any of them, dismissing them at teen vampire fare.

Most of the actors and actresses in the Twilight movies were unknown or relatively unknown. Like Harry Potter and Hunger games, Twilight was only known to audiences who read the books.

The entire Twilight saga cost 418M to make and brought in a world box office total of 3.3B, about eight times the production cost. A movie is generally considered successful when it brings in three times what it cost to produce it.

It success was attributed to far more than teenage girls. But teenage girls certainly did help the movie, the same way they helped Titanic. It took more than teenage girls to bring the franchise 3.3-billion.

Leonardo Dicaprio was 22 when he made Titanic and Pattinson was 21 when he was cast in Twilight. Both actors did grow up and play roles other than teenager's.

That say more for Pattinson than not. He is an actor that is willing to undertake all kinds of different rolls and he has never been one, post Twilight to concern himself with the paycheck end of acting.

If you have watched Pattinson's movies both before and after Twilight, you would see how good of an actor he (and Kristen Stewart) is.

Pattinson was in two highly successful franchises. the other being Harry Potter as Cedric Diggory.

I don't know that Taylor's body would fit that well into a leotard?

Zoot Marimba and Chris DeVoe like this.
  6. Chris DeVoe

Chris DeVoe RIP Vickie Mapes Williams (aka Equipoise)

The last of the Twilight films I saw was Eclipse. Vickie saw the rest of them and assured me that Bella's character became a lot more interesting in the last two. She was created as a blank slate so the reader could project themselves onto her.

Very true.

She was great in The Runaways. That's one of the hardest jobs an actor can do, embodying a well-known person, and she knocked it out of the park.

He had maybe a half a dozen lines in the film, maybe less, and still managed to make you care about his character (although Jeff Rawle's performance as his father was what really made it heartbreaking.)

I think I've figured out why all these people refuse to take him seriously. Look at his IMBd photo:

[​IMG]

He looks baked. At 425 degrees for two and a half hours.

SandAndGlass likes this.
  7. SandAndGlass

Just like in Harry Potter and the Hunger games, they split the final book in the Twilight saga, Breaking Dawn into two movies.

All three franchises were better for doing this, as they could retain more of the book's content, adding richness to the movie.

I particularly liked these franchises because they followed a entire series of books, which gave the movies a lot of depth and gave them the opportunities to develop the character's from the books.

And, they retained the same actors/actresses throughout all three franchises, with the exception on one in the Twilight saga, one in the Hunger Games and one in the Harry Potter series, that last two were due to the actor dying (one character was written out of Harry Potter).

Keeping the same actors brings so much more to the continuity of the movies.

How many Batman's have we had now?

That one I missed and I do have it on my list of movies that I want to buy.

I thought that Breaking Dawn parts I and II were both excellent movies.

The ending of Breaking Dawn Part II was very suspenseful and very well shot. I have shown all of these movies on a 60" and 65" TV. But, the HT sound system is the crowning touch, with a commercial 1,600-Watt subwoofer that can sustain a SPL (Sound Pressure Level) of 133-dB. It tends to leave people shocked and shaken at the end of the movie.

I have heard a lot of Kristen Stewart bashing. I simply do not agree with those who insist that she does not put emotion into her rolls, I think that she does. I have never had any issues with her as an actress and think she does a excellent job in every movie that I have seen her in.

I see her as a more natural, less is more type of an actress.

Yes he did, and so did Jeff Rawle's performance as Cedric's father.

The Harry Potter franchise is another one that people take pot shots at. But performances like these illustrate that movies like this can have true emotional involvement.

Very true! But I have a lot of issues with IMDB photos. I can see having a current photo on the bio page. But using that same photo next to their character in the filmography's is just a really bad idea fulfilled.

They really need to stop doing this and have a snapshot of the person as they looked in that movie.

They way it is now, someone who was a teenager when they did the movie, has a photo of them showing them as a grandparent.

I want to see an actor or actress how they looked when they did the movie, not how thy look forty or fifty years later.

Chris DeVoe likes this.
  8. Encuentro

Encuentro Forum Resident

Sorry, but I couldn't resist.
    [​IMG]

I've only seen two Kristen Stewart movies, Camp X-Ray and Personal Shopper. I enjoyed both films and her performances in them very much.

I've only seen one Robert Pattinson movie, Good Time. A very good film with a stellar performance by Pattinson. Part of it was shot at Adventure Land, an amusement park on Long Island that I frequented as a youth.

I've never seen any of the Twilight films.

Solitaire1 and SandAndGlass like this.
  9. SandAndGlass

Watch them all, I think you will be pleasantly surprised.

Everyone who I have showed them to has, without exception, found them enjoyable.

Encuentro likes this.
  10. Chris DeVoe

My issues with them have been:
    • "Vegetarian" vampires drinking animal blood.
    • 102 year old Edward Cullen perving over a teenage girl.
    • Vampire baseball.
    I've read stories by far better writers than Stephanie Meyer featuring ethical vampires - one of Spider Robinson's Callahan's Saloon stories had one.

SandAndGlass likes this.
  11. SandAndGlass

Not to be taken quite litterally.

We he is seventeen. But he has been seventeen for a long time. Bella has another birthday, so she is a year older than him in the later movies.

Better than "Rollerball".

OK, I haven't read many Vampire stories, I go with your impressions.

There are other well developed character's in the books that are perfectly cast in the movies. Just like the other franchises I mentioned above and L.O.T.R., it is the whole world that is nicely developed.

12. jupiter8

jupiter8 Senior Member

13. Michelle66

Michelle66 Senior Member

I’m partial to the Batusi.

[​IMG]

agentalbert likes this.
  14. Chrome_Head

Chrome_Head Planetary Resident

Most didn’t seem to like the Batfleck take, but what I thought was inspired in those movies was Batman making use of the electronic modulator to give his voice that grit.

David Campbell and BeatleJWOL like this.
  15. Bobby Buckshot

Bobby Buckshot Heavy on the grease please

I have to credit Affleck's turn as Batman for providing the best choreographed & shot fight scene in the entire franchise, which came in BvS when he raided the henchman lair to save Diane Lane. I actually thought he would have made some great Batman movies, esp if they flavored Gotham like they did in the beginning of Justice League. Oh well. If Pattinson gets the role, I hope the fight scenes don't revert back to the Confusa-vision battles that the other actors needed to pull off those integral scenes.

16. Chrome_Head

I generally liked Affleck’s Batman quite a bit, he had the physicality and looked awesome in the suit (and most like the comic, IMO). The writing in Batman V Superman was pretty awful though (and improved a bit in Justice League).

They should have done an adaptation of the Arkham Asylum graphic novel with Batfleck. Could have been a huge, epic movie.

17. That was a phenomenal scene. It's the first time the Batman fight I imagine in my head was up there on the screen. There's never really been anything else like it in the movies for Batman.

18. Chrome_Head

And yet they largely missed the point of the character in about every other way. I guess I can say Affleck’s charge to heroism in the opening as Bruce Wayne when Metropolis is being decimated was good too.

Simon A likes this.
  19. Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden MichiGort Staff

Yeah. And then he should consider wearing normal sane person clothes, too. :laugh:

20. Encuentro

Encuentro Forum Resident

21. daca

daca Currently on Double Secret Probation

It’s official! Batman has officially hit rock bottom.

I have no idea what Dee Cee Comics and Warner Bros. were smokin’.

Somewhere George Clooney and Val Kilmer are having a champagne toast à la the 1972 Miami Dolphins.

22. Encuentro

Encuentro Forum Resident

What leads you to that conclusion? Do you believe that Robert Pattinson can't act, or do you feel that he can act but is just not right for the role? Have you seen The Rover or Good Time by any chance? I watched The Rover on Netflix recently. Pattinson turned in an Oscar-worthy performance. The man is quite the actor. You should give him a chance.

Stormrider77 and Chris DeVoe like this.
  23. daca

daca Currently on Double Secret Probation

My gut, and my brain.

IMHO, he is not believable as Bruce Wayne, much less The Batman.

No, and no.

No thank you. I would rather donate $20 to charity and spend 2-3 hours of my life doing literally anything else.

24. soundboy

soundboy Senior Member

Clooney thought he had destroyed the "Batman" franchise....

daca likes this.
  25. Chris DeVoe

Is it just me, or have the fan boys been wrong about every actor who was going to play Batman? Because I recall the same nonsense several times in the past.

Again, those of us who are familiar with Robert Pattinson's work other than in the Twilight series are of the opinion that he is a talented actor who played a poorly written part in an immensely popular film series.

But he was brilliant in a whole bunch of smaller films and has shown the whole industry that he has the goods.

Judging him by Twilight only is like judging Tom Hanks only by Bosom Buddies. Or Johnny Depp only by 21 Jump Street.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.