Robert Pattinson to Play ‘The Batman’ for Matt Reeves and Warner Bros.

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by AKA, May 16, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. daca

daca Currently on Double Secret Probation

It’s you. People may have had some reservations on Keaton as Batman; however, I think there was a/ will be a near consensus on the others. Including Pattinson.

In my lifetime (assuming I make it to 2021,) there will be 6 people who have portrayed The Batman on the big screen (live action):

Michael Keaton - Pittsburgh guy, of course I loved this choice, and loved the movie.
    Val Kilmer - Liked the choice. However, Iceman, you got Schumachered. To add insult to injury, Kilmer’s performance was not good. At all.
    George Clooney - At this point, I hated the Director and the choice. On top of being Schumachered, Clooney was terrible.
    Christian Bale - Loved him in American Psycho and thought this was a great choice. Given his range, paired with a phenomenal director in Christopher Nolan, this was going to be great. Plus, he was following Clooney and there was NO Schumacher! Win-Win-Win-Win-Win.
    Ben Aff-lack - Self explanatory.
    Twilight Boy - Also self explanatory.

I think more people were wrong on the Joker selection by Christopher Nolan. I thought Heath Ledger was a terrible selection and would be horrible as the Joker. Fortunately, I (as well as most fan boys) were wrong, he was THE BEST live action Joker. Had it not been for Ledger’s passing, we would have gotten The Dark Knight Rises film we deserved, instead of the dumpster file we got. (Although I loved Anne Hathaway as Catwoman in Rises. Meow!)

And Jared Leto as the Joker.

And (possibly) Joaquin Phoenix as the Joker. Although I am holding out hope this will be good.

Also, Kevin Conroy And Mark Hamill are arguably the best animated Batman and Joker, respectively. Batman: Mask of the Phantasm was a great movie. Highly recommended.

Scott222C likes this.
  2. Gill-man

Gill-man Forum Resident

To be fair, that film’s issues can’t be blamed on him. He did what he could with the material given.

Zoot Marimba likes this.
  3. Solitaire1

Solitaire1 Carpenters Fan

As shown by Kevin Conroy (the longest-running Batman, since 1992 and still going), a gravely voice is not needed. Conroy differentiates between Bruce Wayne and Batman by making Wayne's voice a bit higher (although the difference is less as the year pass).

That is why I will wait and see his actual performance before forming my opinion. I thought Keaton did a good job in both roles.

When it comes to controversy, although it probably won't happen one thing I hope to see is a live-action Batman Beyond with either Harrison Ford, or Clint Eastwood as an elderly Bruce Wayne (possibly with Pattinson as Terry McGuinness [although he is likely too old for the role now]).

Actually, I think he might work as Nightwing...although that would take quite a bit of setup to make it happen.

Collier goes back to the radio series, where the voice change was needed to separate the characters. Lou Costello did the same thing (made his voice higher) to make him sound significantly different from Bud Abbott.

4. J. R.

J. R. Cat Herder

I think he will be fine - certainly can't be worse than Ben Afleck or some of the other ones who have been the Batman in the past. Think they made a good choice, one that will draw the younger crowd.

SandAndGlass likes this.
  5. Mirrorblade.1

Mirrorblade.1 Forum Resident

If you can't something respectable in like batman the animated series or Mask of Phantasm or Batman Beyond Return of the Joker
    like the dark night returns or the killing joke or many other dc animated movies.
    forget it.. These writers and producers and directors have more talent in finger
    than most of these directors except for tim burtons batman ..
    It's dated but he researched ..

6. Quark1134

Quark1134 Forum Resident

A suggestion for the official title of this new movie: Batman: Batwimp

You may now return to normal programming.

7. Chris DeVoe

Chris DeVoe RIP Vickie Mapes Williams (aka Equipoise)

Yet another person who hasn't seen anything Robert Pattinson has done other than the Twilight movies and presumed to be an expert on his acting.

Do us all a favor and watch Good Time.

8. Quark1134

Quark1134 Forum Resident

OK, will do.

Chris DeVoe likes this.
  9. Jim B.

Jim B. Senior Member

Tremendous amount of ignorance and stupidity in this thread.

I'm not saying he will make a great Batman, we'll have to wait and see, but it is certainly a completely valid choice and anyone writing him off at this stage is an idiot.

10. Chris DeVoe

Last edited: Jun 3, 2019
    SandAndGlass and Quark1134 like this.
  11. Django

Django Forum Resident

They might have to alter the batman face mask a bit to fit Pattinson's jaw in.

12. gabacabriel

gabacabriel Forum Resident

Still none as good as Adam West.

I won't argue that Ledger was an improvement over Nicholson - but I think if Burton had gone for Peter O'Toole (the fans' choice at the time ahead of Laughin' Jack) he would arguably have been the best of the lot.....

13. FVDnz

FVDnz Forum Resident

I'll give Pattinson a chance. The guy does have some acting chops so no doubt he will surprise a lot of moviegoers. I'm also excited about the direction where Matt Reeves wants to take The Batman too... how he intends on putting more emphasis on the World's Greatest Detective moniker that Batman has always been known for.

14. Chris DeVoe

Batman is all about a strong jawline.

SandAndGlass and BeatleJWOL like this.
  15. Django

Django Forum Resident

Alpha male 101.
    He should be perfect for the role so.

16. Bobby Buckshot

Bobby Buckshot Heavy on the grease please

Now that this is official, just want to repeat my hope that they're able to film fight scenes without the use of shaky-cam or confusa-vision as BvS did. No idea if Pattinson can handle that, but if not it should be easy to hide a stunt man in the bat suit to pull it off.

17. Jerrika

Jerrika Mysterious Ways

There's just something about his eyes. He always looked tired or stoned. Like he's there but he's not really there.

daca likes this.
  18. Chris DeVoe

Hopefully Matt Reeves will go see John Wick 3. That film (and the two earlier ones) are a Master Class in how to shoot action - long shots of the full figure. Both Keanu and Halle Berry rehearsed for months and did their own stunts for the most part. They are the total opposite of the trend in recent years of quick, jerky action scenes composed of hundreds of edits. Atomic Blonde is another great example of how to do it.

19. Bobby Buckshot

Bobby Buckshot Heavy on the grease please

I was hopeful that things would change for good when Jackie Chan's movies got popular there for a minute in the 90s. Unfortunately that didn't stick and the Bale Batman movie fight scenes don't work for me either. Here's the thing: the Batman character is a highly trained and practiced martial arts master. If he gets into it with a guy like the Joker, who's not wearing armor and who doesn't train then the only way for that to be a contest is for the foil to injure or distract Batman prior to the tussle. As you say, I hope whomever is involved with this movie does what Reeves & Berry did for Wick 3 and that their shot accordingly.

Chris DeVoe likes this.
  20. Chris DeVoe

I see it in his IMDb photo, but totally did not see it in The Lost City of Z, Good Time or The Rover.

21. SandAndGlass

SandAndGlass Twilight Forum Resident

Batwimp? He played a vampire in the Twilight Saga.

There were a lot of fight scenes in four out of the five movies. He did a lot of non-GGI stuff in these movies.

Besides Batman, he has a half dozen movies in pre-production, under production and post production.

Besides these, from 2008 forward, he has been in sixteen movies, not counting the Twilight Saga movies.

That is quite a few movies over a decade, in addition to those currently in the works.

Pattinson has done a whole lot more than Twilight movies.

This guy is a very versatile and talented individual.

His character in Twilight was an educated character, so is Batman, who is an educated crime fighter, not a superhero.

No radioactive spiders, stuff like that...

Last edited: Jun 3, 2019
    Chris DeVoe likes this.
  22. BeatleJWOL

BeatleJWOL Carnival of Light enjoyer... IF I HAD ONE

Just as the Batman movies haven't shown us the World's Greatest Detective, the Spiderman movies haven't shown us the particular brains of that character.

Besides, as Batfleck taught us, the Brucebat does have a superpower: money.

Zoot Marimba and SandAndGlass like this.
  23. Dr. Robert

Dr. Robert Forum Reconstructor

Any muscular white dude with a large chin and a slightly sad face can play the Batman, so I'm not gonna judge his performance before I actually see it. It's fun to see people flip their **** about it, tho :D

5th-beatle and FVDnz like this.
  24. BeatleJWOL

BeatleJWOL Carnival of Light enjoyer... IF I HAD ONE

Basically.

I just want more Batman.

25. SandAndGlass

SandAndGlass Twilight Forum Resident

Actually that was sort of a tongue-in cheek comment. You would have to know Twilight to pick up on it.

IF you do, it goes well with these comments.

Watch this short 2-minute video. You can fast forward to the 1-minute mark.

BeatleJWOL likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.