Robert Pattinson to Play ‘The Batman’ for Matt Reeves and Warner Bros.

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by AKA, May 16, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gill-man

Gill-man Forum Resident

Batman, Batman Returns did and Batman Forever actually did.

2. SandAndGlass

SandAndGlass Twilight Forum Resident

In the 1960's, the TV Batman was always doing his own detective work from clues he garnered.

Blastproof likes this.
  3. Mirrorblade.1

Mirrorblade.1 Forum Resident

I won't see it...

4. Gill-man

Gill-man Forum Resident

Did he not do that here?

Or here?

Bruce & Alfred | Batman Returns

SandAndGlass likes this.
  5. SandAndGlass

SandAndGlass Twilight Forum Resident

Most certainly he does. I didn't mean to imply that he didn't. Only that Batman was doing detective work ever since the TV series hit.

Gill-man likes this.
  6. will_b_free

will_b_free Forum Resident

Jonah Hill wants to be paid twice as much as Patterson?

Jonah Hill, the guy from several slightly funny comedies and a few good ones.

I guess it never hurts to ask for an outrageous amount of money, but I think the studio should say no. They could go with a complete unknown for the Penguin or whomever; it is not as if people would decide whether or not to see The Batman based on whether Jonah Hill is in it.

7. Bobby Buckshot

Bobby Buckshot Heavy on the grease please

Hoping that the return of the Penguin character goes more for the aristocrat criminal element rather than the underground monster a la DeVito's rendition. Not that DeVito's was bad, but that it was done so well that it can't be redone and instead needs a new/different take.

8. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

No, no one decides to see the movie specifically because Hill's in it. but his presence adds credibility to the project. The use of famous actors brings more publicity and attention than unknowns would.

That's why "Superman" splurged for Brando and Hackman: they gave credibility to what could've been a silly kiddie movie.

Obviously Hill isn't in the same league as Brando and Hackman, but it's the same concept. "Name" actors aren't crucial in the genre, but they help...

9. bluesbro

bluesbro Forum Hall of Shame

Are we talking about the same Jonah Hill who appeared on screen fapping his weenie?

mkay.

10. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

You mean the Jonah Hill who's been nominated for 2 Oscars? That's the one...

11. FVDnz

FVDnz Forum Resident

'The Batman' Casts Paul Dano as The Riddler

Underrated actor but a sound pick for the Riddler. Interesting that the Nygma name has been put to rest in favour of the originally named Nashton.

Zoe Kravitz to Star as Catwoman in 'The Batman'

Another fine choice. With this film reportedly featuring multiple villains, what's to say that some of the lesser known villains be considered too, such as Calendar Man or Clock King? Seems we'll finally be getting Mad Hatter on screen too. Maybe David Dastmalchian oughta be considered, given his previous appearance in The Dark Knight where fans were imagining his name Jervis Tetch, was spoken by Bale's Batman when in fact, it wasn't. :laugh:

12. Dano is a fine choice - he's more of an actor than actual star.

I really don't understand the Kravitz casting - she was probably the worst choice from the rumored final four actresses.

13. BeatleJWOL

BeatleJWOL Carnival of Light enjoyer... IF I HAD ONE

Hoping we'll get a good look at Arkham Asylum on screen too. Would fit with the multiple villain concept.

FVDnz likes this.
  14. Scope J

Scope J Senior Member

Is it set in 1939?

15. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

He should get rid of the pointy helmut and cape and use a jet propelled back pack.

16. agentalbert

agentalbert Senior Member

I like the Dano casting for Riddler. Not sure how he'll do with the manic style that character has, but he's a very good actor, so I've got faith.

I'm not crazy about the Zoe Kravitz as Catwoman either. Who were the other three possibilities you refer to?

Give me Marsha Queen Of Diamonds! I seem to remember her and Penguin working together in one of the 60's Batman TV episodes.

FVDnz likes this.
  17. Bobby Buckshot

Bobby Buckshot Heavy on the grease please

I've only read that it's going to be set in the 90s and will focus more on Batman's detective skills. If they set this up as a tight mystery thriller with the Riddler that could be a nice wrinkle, stepping away from all of the global/universal conquest ambitions and/or sociological statements.

FVDnz likes this.
  18. Chrome_Head

Chrome_Head Planetary Resident

Glad they didn't go with Jonah Hill as Riddler--I think Dano will do a much better job and be less distracting as an actor in the part.

Not as excited about Zoe Kravitz as Catwoman--I like Zoe okay as an actor, but I'm just a bit burnt out on Catwoman in general. They're going to have to do something new and interesting with the character this time, IMO, because we've seen her so much.

Overall, I wish they'd include some villains we haven't seen onscreen yet, like Hugo Strange or Clayface.

FVDnz likes this.
  19. FVDnz

FVDnz Forum Resident

Seeing as this is a proposed trilogy, I have no doubt in my mind that Hugo Strange be included. Clayface too would be amazing and I wouldn't mind seeing Bane again too, except this time he should really be Latino. I did enjoy Tom Hardy's portrayal though. Heck, I'd be open to Kirk Langstrom's Man-Bat making an appearance if only to see Batman using his brilliant detective skills to find an antidote to Langstrom's condition.

And if it means saving Joker for the 3rd act of the trilogy, I'll trust Reeves' judgement.

BeatleJWOL and Chrome_Head like this.
  20. Indeed even The Dark Knight trilogy pointed him in that direction.

21. I wish they would go with other villains although if they introduced Joker from the latest movie, I think that would be a game changer.

Chrome_Head likes this.
  22. Chrome_Head

At this point, we have no concept of how grounded or fantastical this new take will be. So I’m not sure how a shape-shifting character like Clayface would fit (unless they use the early, non-superpowered version), or a man who turns into a monster like Man Bat.

I also have a hard time seeing how Phoenix’s Joker could go on past a one-off. Will be interesting if they can coax Phoenix back to the role one more time to actually face Batman. Has to be done right, though.

23. Chazro

Chazro Forum Resident

I've never seen any of Pattinson's work. I wonder, after everything's said and done whether he'll be considered part of the Keaton/Bale Batmen, or is he heading towards Clooney/Kilmer territory? I guess his acting skills are irrelevant, as both Clooney and Kilmer had done great work. They just sucked as Batman!;)

24. Chrome_Head

How do you rate Ben Affleck’s 3-film starring as the character?

25. agentalbert

agentalbert Senior Member

I wish it would be set in the 30's. Not so they can have Batman fight Nazi's or world domination, but it would just be more interesting to see him with the tech tools of the 30's instead of what we'll have in the 90's.

I hope there is no Joker in this first film. It would be a no-wn situation. Joaquin's Joker would completely over shadow Batman and probably anyone else in the film. And Joaquin doesn't want to do it and I don't think he should. His portrayal and that story should be a fantastic one-off. So a new Joker down the line is inevitable, but I'd rather they go with some other villains for the time being. Another new Joker right off the bat and so close after the Joaquin portrayal would probably pale in comparison.

SandAndGlass and Bobby Buckshot like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.