Robert Pattinson to Play ‘The Batman’ for Matt Reeves and Warner Bros.

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by AKA, May 16, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chazro

Chazro Forum Resident

Not as good as Keaton/Bale, but way better than Clooney/Kilmer. Affleck wasn't bad, it was just the movies that were substandard. Kinda/sorta the same deal that's going on with Cavill/Superman.

Stormrider77 and mattdm11 like this.
  2. FVDnz

FVDnz Forum Resident

I was at a Car Show several years back where they had these 1930's Ford Tudors all done up, which made me think what an awesome Batmobile could look like in those days.

3. SandAndGlass

SandAndGlass Twilight Forum Resident

Have you seen the Harry Potter movies? Pattinson was in one of them.

Being that George Clooney was in Batman and Robin, I don't think that would be a fair appraisal of anyone's roll as Batman.

Speaking as you did in you quote below about Affleck's Batman movies being substandard, Batman and Robin was way worse than any of those.

4. soundboy

soundboy Senior Member

5. Mirrorblade.1

Mirrorblade.1 Forum Resident

6. will_b_free

will_b_free Forum Resident

There is nothing crazy about that idea; fans have been suggesting it for at least 18 years - when the wonderful animated series Batman Beyond ended its run. But it does not sound like there is any news attached to the rumor. Probably the upcoming BluRay remaster of Batman Beyond prompted some attention.

Batman Beyond: on BluRay end of October 2019:
    https://www.amazon.com/Batman-Beyond-Blu-ray/dp/B07TLPBC7J

BeatleJWOL and Zoot Marimba like this.
  7. Chazro

Chazro Forum Resident

BTW - Just a head's up for all bat-fans. Currently, Titans, the live action show based on the Teen Titans, has really kicked it into high gear. The last 3 episodes have focused on the Dick Grayson/Jason Todd/Robin story in a huge way. As usual, the best comicbook based projects all feature decades-old storylines and Titans is no different. They're focusing on the Marv Wolfman/George Perez Titan tales which are classics! And to really kick up the volume they've just introduced this kid called Connor who wears a black shirt with a red 'S' and has a dog who shoots lasers outta his eyes. Oh yeah, almost forgot, the dogs name is Krypto! Lastly, they've brought in Iain Glen (Sir Jorah Mormont in GOT!) to play a small role, he's some guy named Bruce Wayne! Honestly, the rest of the players are pretty much secondary to this bat-fan!;)

8. Mirrorblade.1

Mirrorblade.1 Forum Resident

I have batman beyond series it's great Return Of The Joker unrated is the best.

9. The first season of Titans is already available on Blu-ray for those interested.

Titans: Season One Blu-ray Review - DoBlu.com - 4K UHD & Blu-ray Reviews

10. Solitaire1

Solitaire1 Carpenters Fan

Concerning The Clock King, I think he'd be a great villain as long as they use the version from Batman - The Animated Series (B-TAS). No silly costume, just an ordinary suit with a few clock-like details, a single-minded obsession, and an incredible sense of timing (so much so that Batman can't punch him because The Clock King knows exactly how long it takes Batman to throw a punch so he can avoid it).

Despite only making two appearance on B-TAS, he is my favorite villain from that series. After so long, it was great to see him make an appearance on Justice League Unlimited as the coordinator of Task Force X (aka The Suicide Squad). His cold nature was perfect in the role (summed up that if someone is even a little bit late, they die).

Although a shape-shifting Clayface would be an interesting villain, a problem is just how powerful he actually is. His shape shifting goes far beyond just changing his appearance but all the way down to his DNA. As an example, if he takes on the form of Superman, gains all of Superman's powers. Imagine Batman having to face all of the members of The Justice League, one after another, but who have no moral restraint.

I strongly agree!

FVDnz likes this.
  11. 5th-beatle

5th-beatle Forum Resident

The Batman - camera test:

First day:
    [​IMG]

Old Rusty and Chrome_Head like this.
  12. David Campbell

David Campbell Forum Resident

The Batsuit looks very "Arkham" ish (as in the Arkham video game series). Interesting.

I'm keeping an open mind ,but I really liked, at least visually Ben Affleck's back to the(dark) Blue and Grey look in BvS and much of Justice League. Yeah,it was still an armored suit,but it still looked closer to the comics look and FINALLY got away from the solid black look that had dominated live action Batman since 89. Don't get me wrong,I used to dig the solid black look back when the first Burton film came out,but I really hope Pattenson's suit doesn't end up yet another solid black armored number. The color here was intentionally tinted Red to raise speculation on how the color on the suit is gonna be, but i certainly hope it's dark blue and Grey or some variation of it.

All in all I'm looking forward to this. I hope they lean hard into the Dark Knight Detective angle as rumored. We've seen bits and pieces alluded to in the past films but I'd love to see Bruce having to actually solve an honest to God case/mystery. Being the eighth solo Batman film it's time to so something different yet true to the spirit of the source material. We've seen the obsessed creature of the night Batman ( Burton ) The campy Caped Crusader (Shumacher) the grounded vigilante on a mission (Nolan) and even a variation of the Frank Miller older disallusioned Batman (Snyder with BvS). Let's get a bit of the "Sherlock Holmes in a cape" angle we've never seen in media outside the comics.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2020
    5th-beatle, Binni, BeatleJWOL and 2 others like this.
  13. Chrome_Head

Chrome_Head Planetary Resident

Agreed on all points. The blue and grey BvS suit looked awesome, and Affleck looked awesome in it. Tired of the meched-out black on black batsuit look onscreen.

Even the Arkham games (at least the early ones I played) had a batsuit with a blue and grey color scheme.

14. Chazro

Chazro Forum Resident

I'd also like to see the detective make an appearance. Along with someone most fans forget; Batman the escape artist. Used to be a heavily-featured talent, Batman was a Houdini! Before Mr. Miracle was a glint in Kirby's eye, Batman was figuring his way out of all traps!

15. agentalbert

agentalbert Senior Member

I don't care so much about the color. A reddish tint to the suit won't bother me at all. I just won't want to see Batman looking like a tank, as the Affleck one did in BvS.

16. Juan Matus

Juan Matus Reformed Audiophile

It's The Dark Twi-Knight!

[​IMG]

David Campbell and 5th-beatle like this.
  17. Bobby Buckshot

Bobby Buckshot Heavy on the grease please

Agree on just about every point here. Burton set such a standard with his films that everyone's been borrowing from them ever since. And I'm all in on the detective angle hopefully being represented well.

BeatleJWOL likes this.
  18. 5th-beatle

5th-beatle Forum Resident

SandAndGlass likes this.
  19. BeatleJWOL

BeatleJWOL Senior Member

I have several questions about Farrell as the Penguin. Somebody like a Paul Giamatti would have set better with me; a little older, big ol' army of goons to do his bidding, letting him swoop in at the last second to claim the reward for everyone else's work.

Rest of the cast looks solid though.

20. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

I think he’s up-and-coming as an actor and should do an excellent job. After seeing “the lighthouse” —which during half the course of the movie I didn’t even recognize him - I thought this guy is a pretty intense actor, so I think he could pull off the role really well.

Chris DeVoe and SandAndGlass like this.
  21. Chrome_Head

I wanna say they were casting actors as the villains closer in age to Pattinson (at least more than someone like Giamatti).

Also, it would seem Farrell would play The Penguin more as a brutal, hardcore gangster than a deformed freak.

I could barely make this out when I watched it on my phone, but they didn't pan up so we could see what the bat-ears look like on the cowl, did they?

BeatleJWOL likes this.
  22. SRC

SRC That sums up Squatter for me

23. BeatleJWOL

BeatleJWOL Senior Member

Absolutely we're not getting Tim Burton's Penguin again, and I'm okay with that :D even if I did have Batman Returns bedsheets as a kid. :shh:

The recent Telltale games reinvented the Penguin as someone who would have grown up with Bruce Wayne and it worked really well, so I'm still optimistic.

Bobby Buckshot and Chrome_Head like this.
  24. Chrome_Head

Burton's take on Penguin was pretty bold for the time. I also like the Animated Series' take of him as the "legit businessman" running the Iceberg Lounge nightclub.

Man, I played those Telltale games, all the way up to the last episode (no spoilers please). I kind of remember that. They also made Bruce's family involved in Gotham crime if I remember correctly.

Ghostworld and BeatleJWOL like this.
  25. daca

daca Currently on Double Secret Probation

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.