Robert Pattinson to Play ‘The Batman’ for Matt Reeves and Warner Bros.

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by AKA, May 16, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chrome_Head

Chrome_Head Planetary Resident

It’s all in how Reeves and the creative team do the movie, IMO. Pattinson could be great with the right movie atmosphere.

Zoot Marimba likes this.
  2. daca

daca Currently on Double Secret Probation

That’s a very low bar. However I concur.

Chrome_Head likes this.
  3. 5th-beatle

5th-beatle Forum Resident

4. Chrome_Head

I kinda see that, but there was a reason for that look in that story, Riddler had basically overrun the city with wild plants and shut it down.

(Which may sound weird, but Zero Year was a fantastic comic story with killer art, I thought).

This looks..odd in these pics.

5. Bobby Buckshot

Bobby Buckshot Heavy on the grease please

6. BeatleJWOL

BeatleJWOL Senior Member

The cowl definitely looks like a helmet more than the real deal will be.

7. 5th-beatle

Maybe they will use ideas from that story to portray the beginning of Batman's career, instead of following Frank Miller's "Year One"?

Chrome_Head likes this.
  8. Chrome_Head

I would certainly be fine with that. Miller's stuff has just about been mined for all it's worth in the movie and cartoon adaptations. There's newer, very worthy stuff from the last 15 or so years to get to (since Batman has had about 15 years straight of very strong comics IMO).

9. Bobby Buckshot

Sounds like another origin story...? Really hope not.

10. Raylinds

Raylinds Resident Lake Surfer

Eight pages in and nobody has asked the real question?! Okay, I will. I don't care who is in it, do we really need another Batman movie (asks the guy who started the burned out on superheroes thread)?

My answer will probably surprise you. Judging from the reactions here and elsewhere, there really seems to be an audience for it. Nobody is being forced to go see it and there are plenty of other good, original films to see instead, so I am going to say why the hell not.

Now regarding the actor... I was one who crapped all over the choice of Keaton in the first one and I loved that movie (my favorite Batman movie), so I won't weigh in on that.

David Campbell and Chrome_Head like this.
  11. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

Pattinson is a much more traditional choice for the role than Keaton was.

At least Pattinson has a history in Handsome Leading Man roles. Keaton was balding and schlubby!

Chrome_Head likes this.
  12. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

Interesting...the movies he's been in lately have been OK...good actor...really liked him in Remember Me...

13. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

and Remember Me...

Chris DeVoe likes this.
  14. 5th-beatle

Yes, I can think of several excellent stories: Hush, The Long Halloween, Dark Victory, Zero Year, Court Of Owls, Metal... the list goes on.

Chrome_Head likes this.
  15. SBurke

SBurke Nostalgia Junkie

16. budwhite

budwhite Climb the mountains and get their good tidings.

If this version of Batman doesn't feature Bruce Wayne as the great detective that he's supposed to be, then I am interested.

17. 5th-beatle

I don't know how physically impressive Pattison is, but I liked Affleck's fight scene with the bad guys when he was trying to save Martha Kent. That was a badass heavy-duty Batman, but he still stuggled to win and even got stabbed along the way.

I'm sorry, did you mean "not interested"?

Chrome_Head likes this.
  18. Bobby Buckshot

The best Batman fight scene on film ever - no choppy confuse-a-vision edits, just a nice long action sequence. For that scene alone I was hoping Affleck would get his own movie so that we could see more of that. My fingers are crossed that for this upcoming version they are able to continue this advancement.

19. 5th-beatle

Exactly, it felt like a real fight. James Gordon mentioned that Batman had been fighting crime for 20 years by then, and Affleck gave a very good performance of an older man who had experienced a lifetime of violence.

20. Bobby Buckshot

Even if Pattinson isn't up for it, the suit allows a great bit of leeway for the use of stunt men to pull it off. Going back and watching those Keaton/Bale et. al. fight scenes just leave one unimpressed.

21. Chazro

Chazro Forum Resident

Yeah, if we were to add up the entirety of 'Bat-fights' from Adam West thru Ben Afleck, it wouldnt be a stretch to say that over 90% of ALL of them have sucked! Meanwhile, I saw a segment from Alita last week that left me wondering, and I realize Bats is no Alita, moves-wise, but why hasn't there been an extra effort to maximize Batman's gladitorial acrobatic abilities!? Tellyawhat, in the movies, he's no detective, and is physically not much of a challenge to anybody. Good thing he's got a cool cape!;)

Bobby Buckshot likes this.
  22. BeatleJWOL

BeatleJWOL Senior Member

We have the Arkham Asylum video games (as well as a director that decided going 180 degrees from the Bourne movies might be smart) to thank for that. That whole Batfleck sequence was amazing; the takedowns, the systematic nature of the cleanup, the use of force. Outstanding stuff.

23. Bobby Buckshot

Never played the video games nor have I seen any Bourne movies (not a Damon fan) but I recalled many Asian action movies as possible inspiration to whomever choreographed and shot that BvS fight scene. Hey, if they pulled it from AA video games and were revolting against Bourne that's fine with me - whatever it takes to move far away from crappy fight scenes!

BeatleJWOL likes this.
  24. budwhite

budwhite Climb the mountains and get their good tidings.

Yes thanks. That word(not) just dissapeared

25. 5th-beatle

You're welcome and yes, hopefully we'll see Batman the great detective in the upcoming film.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.