Robert Plant/Alison Krauss "Raise The Roof"

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Bonddm, Aug 12, 2021.

1. culabula

culabula Unread author.

Zeg het maar niet.

bibijeebies likes this.
  2. Haecate

Haecate Forum Resident

Is Marc Ribot on this one? Thx.

3. bibijeebies

bibijeebies vinyl hairline spotter

same as Amazon France, by the way.

4. bibijeebies

bibijeebies vinyl hairline spotter

yes he is

5. Haecate

Haecate Forum Resident

Great! Love his playing!

6. Dhreview16

Dhreview16 Forum Resident

A lot.

Haecate likes this.
  7. LilacTeardrop

LilacTeardrop "Roll It Over My Soul...and Leave Me Here"

After a bit of deliberation, (on which version, not whether to purchase; that was never in question!:winkgrin:) I decided to purch. the standard version, after all, rather than the UK hardback book-case CD w/those same 2 bonus tracks as Target edition. Reason being: 1 Lucinda Williams cover = VG; 2 would "plant" :winkgrin: Lucinda too firmly in mind while listening, detracting from it being a Robert Plant | Alison Krauss record, for me. Placed *order Wednesday, order processed same day & shipped yesterday - they're in UK, so no Thanksgiving holiday - so, knocking wood, I'll likely have it in about a week & 1/2; I'm in US & that's how my orders from them, order to receipt, have been running, which I deem quite well.

Anyone wishing the hardback book-case CD version w/bonus tracks - it's on Warner UK, not Rounder Records, *my fav. indie. retailer, Reflex Record Shop, in Newcastle upon Tyne, UK, link below - has them in stock: I shop them online. Andy & Alan are terrific; if what you're looking for isn't listed, contact & they go out of their way to locate it for you. Customer service is outstanding & store packages very conscientiously to ensure items arrive without damage during transit. User-friendly webpage layout/design, excellent. I've been placing most all my new (not used CD) orders with them for the last several years. :righton:

Reflex CD & Vinyl

Last edited: Nov 26, 2021
    Man at C&A and bibijeebies like this.
  8. oxegen

oxegen Forum Resident

Tour dates for the USA and Europe are now listed on their site. No Irish date - bummer. Only U.K. date is Hyde Park with the Eagles.

9. Great album.

Uncle Miles and Greenalishi like this.
  10. ConnieGuitar

ConnieGuitar Here in my balloon...

Very sorry about Ireland! Hopefully dates get added as time get closer though who knows where things'll be next summer... :shake:

Sadly (though understandably) playing sheds it seems...the 2008 tour both looked and sounded beautiful so I do wonder if that can be matched in amphitheaters. I'm shooting for either Philly or Atlanta. Pre-sales start Monday: general sale next Friday 12/3.

[​IMG]

Uncle Miles likes this.
  11. fishcane

fishcane Dirt Farmer

Let Lanois no where within 100 miles of these guys please

12. lucan_g

lucan_g Forum Resident

I'm curious why you keep saying that. Given the 'sound' of the first two albums -- it seems like Lanois' aesthetic would be precisely in keeping with what they are looking for (even if its not where you would want them to land).

13. fishcane

fishcane Dirt Farmer

I enjoy some artists he’s helped redefine themselves or find a new direction but I’m more then over his sense of “balance” and clearly these guys don’t need any help finding their “sound.” There is plenty of atmosphere in their sound already.

And yes it’s def not where I’d like them to land. Where I AM excited to have them land is right down the road from me to kick off next summer tour! Pull together a solid tour and issue a nice live album. Yes that’s where I’d like to see them land

lucan_g likes this.
  14. oxegen

oxegen Forum Resident

Plant has played Ireland on a regular basis down the years in his various incarnations. I saw Robert and Alison in 2008 in Birmingham (UK). They skipped Ireland then too. Hopefully, the tour will be extended at a future date (Covid permitting).

Anno likes this.
  15. Anno

Anno Forum Resident

Plant has tried working with Lanois but the sessions didn’t get far.
    I was at the Birmingham gig too, great night!

Greenalishi and jeremylr like this.
  16. brucewayneofgotham

brucewayneofgotham Forum Resident

Hate LZ , love this album.

17. rfkavanagh

rfkavanagh Unashamedly Pop!

Finally listening to this now - what a difference! I've never warmed to Raising Sand at all and still don't enjoy the album, but from the first notes of this release I was on board. Absolutely everything feels superior to me, and while the production is still typically murky and even Krauss's usual crystalline vocals are somewhat smothered with a blanket, the compression doesn't feel quite as bad as the absolute mess that was Raising Sand and there's a very welcome bit of air. Not much, but at least I don't feel like I'm trapped and suffocating while listening to the album (which is how Raising Sand makes me feel).

I come at this from the Alison Krauss side; I don't have any particular affinity for Robert Plant in any form, but even his vocals are enjoyable to me on this one. Song selection, arrangements, etc., are all much improved to my mind. Haven't finished the album yet (it's playing as I type), but I'm already much happier. :)

18. James Glennon

James Glennon Senior Member

There were two vinyl versions of Raisin' Sands, one cut by Ron McMaster at Capitol and the other by Kevin Gray, the Kevin Gray cut had a sticker on the front cover saying .... XO∆E ‒ Optimized for Vinyl Release by album producer T Bone Burnett. XO∆E = CODE! I personally preferred the Ron McMaster cut!

JG

19. brucewayneofgotham

really disappointed , how low this debuted at , #7. Really thought #2 was possible

groovelocked likes this.
  20. fishcane

fishcane Dirt Farmer

Got into 2nd row at the tour debut in canandaigua with the fan club presale… psyched

JeffMo, Muzyck, WaterLemon and 2 others like this.
  21. ConnieGuitar

ConnieGuitar Here in my balloon...

Congrats on 2nd row!! I bagged tickets for the Cary, NC show mid-June. Some absolutely crazy prices as it's a pretty small venue from the looks of it: most reserved seating tickets started at a whopping $175! ("premium" tix went up to $425) Needless to say, we'll be sitting way on the side with a possibly limited view for a relatively paltry $80 a seat.....even lawn tickets were $60.

Now let's just cross fingers and hope this tour actually happens !

Last edited: Nov 29, 2021
    fishcane likes this.
  22. fishcane

fishcane Dirt Farmer

Lawn tickets at Cmac are $37 I think

23. TheRealMcCoy

TheRealMcCoy Senior Member

Surprised it got that high! This type of music is not what is in trend at all really...

JasonA likes this.
  24. Uncle Miles

Uncle Miles Wafting in and out of Forum

I'm like 5 songs into this and it's great

Got the one from Target with extra tracks

25. brucewayneofgotham

This might be the Best Album of the year. I am sad it is not doing well. They waited too long. Interest in both of them, has also faded. I was asking my local store , who bought the record. He told me , no one but me , was under 50. And he ordered way too many. He also told me , no one under 50 , really cares about LZ anymore. Things have changed rapidly.