Robin Trower - The Studio Albums 1973-1983

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by puffyrock2, Dec 6, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. puffyrock2

puffyrock2 Forum Resident Thread Starter

Chrysalis will be releasing a 10 CD box of all Robin's studio albums on that label on 2/8/19 and the price is right. For those who don't own these, it looks like a great way to scoop all these up and save a lot of cash. I wish they would have thrown in 1975's "Live" though and just called it "The Albums 1973-1983". You even get the Jack Bruce records. IMO, every album here ranges from good to great.

https://www.amazon.com/Studio-Album...aud_1?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1544144459&sr=1-172

HfxBob, Hep Alien, The MEZ and 8 others like this.
  2. This will be an instant purchase if the mastering is good.

The MEZ, jay.dee and Crimson Witch like this.
  3. Old Fred

Old Fred Forum Resident

Me, too! I'm in. Thanks for the posting. :righton:

The MEZ and JackS like this.
  4. four sticks

four sticks Senior Member

This looks like a repackaging of the two previous Chrysalis box sets (A Tale Untold 73 - 76 and Further Up The Road 77 - 83) that quickly went out of print. Although the live album was included on the 73-76 box.

eelkiller, The MEZ and Gregster like this.
  5. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

see my signature. Trower was / is great weed music.

6. Atomic Punk

Atomic Punk Forum Resident

I actually know and have one album : Bridge of Sighs. I picked that one while listening to it due to a high ranking on a blues list....

The MEZ and Doc Young like this.
  7. classicrocker

classicrocker Life is good!

If you liked Bridge of Sighs you will most likely appreciate his other albums as his music was pretty consistent.

Puffy, thanks for the heads up, I love Trower and that boxset is a bargain for all that music.

Still have my original pressing of his first album "Twice Removed From Yesterday" but have not given it a good cleaning to see what kind of shape it is in. Great album and turned a lot of friends onto Trower with that first album. It got loaned out a lot in High School and College, and played on less than audiophile systems, so I guessing it is not in the greatest shape.

Saw Robin a few years ago a the Wilbur Theater in Boston and he looked like the Crypt Keeper but the man can still play up a storm. Plays all his greatest hits and a highly recommended show, and inexpensive ticket, if you are a fan.

Juggsnelson and Howard Bleach like this.
  8. Chemguy

Chemguy Forum Resident

Caravan!

9. tdcrjeff

tdcrjeff Senior Member

10. fast'n'bulbous

fast'n'bulbous tight also

No those albums were 3 cd sets covering approx 5 albums each . Plus they included a few b sides . This new set is a straight reissue of the 10 discs. I agree they shoulda included Live .

Hep Alien likes this.
  11. So...if the mastering year is accurate, these were done by Peter Mew. A bit bright but not as bad as some of his earlier work. Still not ideal though IMHO.

black sheriff likes this.
  12. thestereofan

thestereofan Senior Member

Just bought it. 34.00 for 10 cds, amazing price.

The MEZ likes this.
  13. BillyMacQ

BillyMacQ Forum Resident

Who looks more like The Crypt Keeper - Robin Trower or Steve Howe?

Trower is criminally underrated. He gets tagged with "Hendrix wannabe" status and then people forget about him. Their loss.
    Bridge of Sighs and Live should be in EVERY blues rock fan's collection. I tell you who's also criminally underrated is James/Jimmy Dewar on vocals. Wow. What a voice.
    I got to see them during the Victims of the Fury tour. To this day one of the best shows I've ever been to. Band was tight, sound was great, they played everything I wanted to hear.
    Lotta fun, lotta fun...

Love,
    Billy

Last edited: Dec 9, 2018
  14. Steve Howe wins this one hands down.

RKMiller likes this.
  15. redfloatboat

redfloatboat Forum Resident

I love the BLT album with Jack Bruce. I've tried many times to try and get into Trower's album's but apart from just a few songs i've never been that successful. My favourite song of his is Long Misty Days.
    For me, he promised much but didn't really deliver, imo anyway. I just wish he'd of been a more rocky, a lot of his stuff seems more middle of the road, easy listening, to me.
    Also love Procol Harum's Broken Barricades album, lots of lead guitar on it.

Doc Young likes this.
  16. Boaz

Boaz Forum Resident

Will it use the same remaster as the two “
    Original Album Series” box’s?

17. Chazzbo13

Chazzbo13 Forum Resident

Yup...just pre-ordered...

18. Jimmy Agates

Jimmy Agates CRAZY DOCTOR

Shame they left off the bsides that were included on the 2 3cd sets that are now OOP. The similar sets by UFO and Saxon included all the rarities from their earlier boxes except for the BBC stuff.

Hep Alien and Galley like this.
  19. Jon1969

Jon1969 I Like Beer

Looks like the big book store is already sold out! More on the way...

20. milankey

milankey Forum Resident

I have those two sets and I certainly did not like that Bridge Of Signs album was split up onto 2 cd's.

bluemooze likes this.
  21. Chazzbo13

Chazzbo13 Forum Resident

So, if my pre-order was placed before the "sold out" notice, will it be coming? Or am I simply deluding myself...?

22. fast'n'bulbous

fast'n'bulbous tight also

I pre-ordered months ago and mine hasn't shipped, with no firm estimate of when it will. But when they do ship it'll be under $28 thanks to the pre-order price guarantee.

Chazzbo13 likes this.
  23. elsanto

elsanto Forum Resident

Whats odd is I ordered Studio Albums 1973-1982 and At The BBC 1973-1975 at the same time from Bullmoose. They had the same release date but only the BBC set shipped.

24. Craigman1959

Craigman1959 Forum Resident

Thanks for the heads up. Got those Iconoclassic ones but it'll be great to get the rest.

25. Jon1969

Jon1969 I Like Beer

From Amazon:

"Temporarily out of stock. Order now and we'll deliver when available. We'll e-mail you with an estimated delivery date as soon as we have more information. Your account will only be charged when we ship the item."

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.