Robin Williams RIP

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by hutlock, Aug 11, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Evan L

Evan L Beatologist

Kinison was incredibly funny too.

2. BurgerKing

BurgerKing Forum Resident

The screaming lost me

3. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

A lot of Kinison's routines came from pain. He did a fantastic monologue about how his current girlfriend found out he was cheating on her, so as a "joke" she put a loaded gun into his luggage right before he drove to an airport to catch a flight. His recounting of the incident was pretty intense... but funny.

krock2009 likes this.
  4. BurgerKing

BurgerKing Forum Resident

I'll admit it was novel at first, but the screaming became a gimmick, and was employed in every punch line. I don't know, for me it got old real fast.

5. tommy-thewho

tommy-thewho Senior Member

Ethan Hawke had some words to add saying while filming Dead Poet's he could tell Robin was in pain...

6. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

my wife and I were both fans of Sam...I also liked his being cheated on bits as well...

Vidiot likes this.
  7. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Don't forget Sam occasionally cheated on his wife with her sister... that was quite a soap opera going on.

Michael likes this.
  8. Michael

yes, I remember that! he was a card! Damn...

9. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Terrific Robin Williams story told by his longtime friend Billy Crystal on the Tonight Show:

10. carrick doone

carrick doone Whhhuuuutttt????

Thanks for that. Even now, I just don't like that he is ....gone. It's immature I know. No chance in my own way to say goodbye, no opportunity to watch him age and slow down. I can't imagine what it is like for family and people who knew him well as a friend. I hope his soul finds peace. That is the only consolation I have.

11. AKA

AKA Senior Member

Whoopi and Billy were holding back tears last week on The View as they talked about their dear friend. The clip isn't on YouTube, but ABC put it up on their site. Here's part one and here's part two.

12. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

Thank you both for sharing here. I never would've seen either of these clips, otherwise.

AKA likes this.
  13. Remurmur

Remurmur Music is THE BEST! -FZ

Like wise . I enjoyed watching both of these very much ...:)

Thank you ...

AKA likes this.
  14. blind_melon1

blind_melon1 An erotic adventurer of the most deranged kind....

Hahah, that live bit where he asked if anyone in the audience had anyone cheat on them, and he grabs the cell phone of an audience member who had, and screams abuse down the phone at the cheater.. LMFAO!

A lot of his delivery was based on evangelist preachers, from what I've read. :D

krock2009, Michael and Vidiot like this.
  15. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Kinison told stories on the Stern show about how his father was an honest minister who refused to get into faith-healing and all that schtick, and as a result he never made much money and several of his churches went out of business. But Kinison could do the whole "hellfire and brimstone" screaming act to a T. He and his brother Bill did work on the road as evangelical ministers, taking their tent from town to town, before he decided to get into the standup comedy business. Kinison had nothing good to say about most ministers, especially the ones that go on TV and say, "Jesus came to me in a dream last night and said, 'I need you to build a theme park!'" :eek:

Kinison was very resentful of Robin Williams' success, and was particularly hurt when Whoopi Goldberg, Williams, and Billy Crystal wouldn't let him participate in their Comic Relief events, apparently in the belief that Kinison wasn't politically-correct enough to go over with a big crowd. I think Sam was also jealous of Robin Williams success in TV and movies; as funny as Kinison was, his comic talent didn't translate that well to film. Maybe it eventually could have, but that ended when he was killed in the 1992 car crash.

blind_melon1 likes this.
  16. Aggie87

Aggie87 Gig 'Em!

I saw Sam Kinison here in Corpus Christi in 1992, a week or two before he died. I can't find my ticket stub, or any reference to it online. Night Ranger (the 3 man lineup) opened for him lol.

Last edited: Sep 24, 2014
  17. Michael

yes, that dude was passionately pissed!

18. longdist01

longdist01 Senior Member

There was an interview with members of a church Sam Kinison_ was at for a short period in 80's? Apparently he was recieving the Offer back during Service, glanced and nobody gave a cent. He gently admonished the congregation, revealed a pistol tucked under his belt, fired into ceiling and asked for Offering to be passed amongst congregation again!

Anyone know what years he spent living in Chicago?

19. Larry Mc

Larry Mc Forum Dude

This was cool........................Giants pay tribute to late Robin Williams
    [​IMG]
    Robin Williams son, Zak Williams, second from left, gets a pat on the back from Billy Crystal after Zak threw out the ceremonial first pitch as his siblings Zelda, left, and Cody look on before Game 5 of baseball's World Series between the Kansas City Royals and the San Francisco Giants on Sunday, Oct. 26, 2014, in San Francisco. (AP Photo - Marcio Jose Sanchez)
    By JANIE McCAULEY
    From Associated Press
    October 27, 2014 4:17 AM EST

SAN FRANCISCO (AP) — Robin Williams' smiling face, in a variety of his most well-loved characters, adorned the big screen at AT&T in a stirring tribute to the late award-winning actor.
    Zak Williams, the oldest son of the beloved Academy Award winner and comedian, lofted an emotional ceremonial first pitch to Billy Crystal to start Game 5 of the World Series between Williams' San Francisco Giants and the Kansas City Royals on Sunday night.
    Zak, joined at the AT&T Park mound by siblings Zelda and Cody, found Crystal's glove then erupted in joy. Zak raised both arms into the air before finding Crystal, an award-winning actor and close Williams friend, for an embrace.
    A special tribute for Williams played on the main center-field scoreboard, featuring highlights of his films as well as photos of him from various visits to the ballpark — one with home run king Barry Bonds and Hall of Famer Willie Mays. A clip of Williams leading fans in a pregame chant also played, and Crystal got things going with his own chant of "Play ball!"
    "We are honored to be here in support of the tribute to our father, someone who loved his hometown and especially the Giants," Williams' children said in a statement through the Giants. "For all of us, it is a tremendous delight and a little surreal to throw out the ceremonial first pitch of a World Series game for our team to our dad's best friend. We could not think of a better way to celebrate his memory. Let's go Giants!"
    Williams, who lived in nearby Marin County, died Aug. 11 of an apparent suicide. He was 63.

bluejeanbaby, blind_melon1 and JamieC like this.
  20. PROG U.K.

PROG U.K. Audiophile-Anglophile

21. Blair G.

Blair G. Senior Member

Very

22. PROG U.K.

PROG U.K. Audiophile-Anglophile

:righton:

23. rburly

rburly Sitting comfortably with Item 9

24. Michael

25. Platterpus

Platterpus Senior Member

I watched the movie Awakenings a couple weeks ago and I just wonder if some of his experiences in doing this movie gave him a mindset that when he was diagnosed with his health issues if this movie sort of made him give up hope for his own life and pushed him over the edge to do what he did as far as taking his life. This movie is one of his best and a personal favorite of mine. He was such a kind soul in this movie.

The news is now saying that he may had a form of dementia above the Parkinson's disease diagnosis. They say he may have been suffering hallucinations due to this type of dementia.

I'm also surprised that no drugs or alcohol were found in his system. His death is one of the most perplexing that I recall in recent years.

I can't even imagine what his mind was going through during his last days.:sigh:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.