Robin Williams RIP

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by hutlock, Aug 11, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Strat-Mangler

Strat-Mangler Personal Survival Daily Record-Breaker

Don't forget Awakenings and Insomnia.

Alfie Noakes likes this.
  2. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Gosh, the documentary was sad, but also very revealing. I had not known the details of his first marriage, and the other info provided by that photographer who shadowed him every day for a month was fascinating. Not a single person interviewed disliked Robin, even people who had had issues with him. The last film I worked on with him (the huge 2009 bomb Old Dogs), Williams was very quiet and distant, rarely the "manic/crazy/funny" guy we traditionally saw on screen. I wonder if he knew then that his health issues were affecting his work? We'll never know.

I was only on the LA portion of the shoot and only saw him from a distance, so I have no idea what he was like day to day beyond that. He was well-liked by the crew, but the DP told me he was surprised that Robin was so subdued for a change.

3. skisdlimit

skisdlimit Forum Resident

:agree: Agreed. Come Inside My Mind was a well done doc on Robin Williams, and I particularly liked Eric Idle's tribute song "Goodnight Robin" at the end.

Some other highlights for me were (none of which I'd seen before):
    • Williams' "acceptance" speech during an awards show (what a way to turn lemons into lemonade! :laugh:)
    • a very funny stand-up routine with Billy Crystal and Whoopi Goldberg (puerile, but this appeared to be improvised :D)
    • Fukitol (self-explanatory! :nyah:)
    Recommended. :thumbsup:

4. Gems-A-Bems

Gems-A-Bems Forum Resident

Agreed, but I do think there was one major omission and that is it failed to say almost anything regarding Lewy Body Dementia. Even 30 seconds about what it is would have been a welcome and (in my opinion) necessary addition to the doco.

A single clip where Bobcat mentions it in an almost offhand way isn’t nearly good enough.

5. scotto

scotto Senior Member

Not sure if it's been mentioned or not, but Drive-By Truckers' most-excellent American Band album has the tune "Baggage" about reacting to Robbin Williams' death and dealing with demons and our psychic baggage:

6. Rick Bartlett

Rick Bartlett Forum Resident

here's a great Mrs Doubtfire cast reunion, lots of love for Robin:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.