Robyn Hitchcock: All-Purpose Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by bzfgt, Mar 26, 2020.

1. bzfgt

bzfgt The Grand High Exalted Mystic Ruler Thread Starter

There seems to be a pressing need for this.

First item of business: Is this one of the best tracks ever recorded? Or do you intend to claim something incorrect?

2. Dennis Metz

Dennis Metz Born In A Motor City south of Detroit

He’s a genius :edthumbs::cheers:

3. bzfgt

So far, no incorrect claims.

4. bzfgt

Someone posted this on another thread. I've listened to some of it, it seems like a really good show with, as usual, oddball patter interspersed-- favorite quote: "To a pelican born in 2070, there's going to be no difference between any of us and Jim Morrison."

But anyway, this has a song I've never heard called "Dragonfly," and it's really excellent:

www://archive.org/details/robynhitchcock2010-02-28.aud.flac16/25-Dragonfly.flac

5. Omron

Omron Forum Resident

John are you still alive ?
    I’ve still got all the Robyn Hitchcock Syd Barret Live CDs you sent me,

bzfgt likes this.
  6. Johnny Action

Johnny Action Forum President

His late 80s and early 90s releases are wonderful. Globe Of Frogs, Perspex Island, Respect, all those. His back up musicians: amazingly good.

bzfgt likes this.
  7. Disco Robot

Disco Robot Forum Resident

The only problem is that it's on the same album as the EVEN BETTER "1970 In Aspic"

Mr. Bewlay and bzfgt like this.
  8. bzfgt

I love that song but it drives me crazy every time he says "one connecting doorway through the hall"! It bugs me so much, when I saw him in Philly a couple of years ago I asked him about it after the show (and probably annoyed him in the process)..."How the hell can you have one connecting doorway, through a hall? If it's one doorway, there can't be a hall!" He just said "Architecturally you're correct, but metaphorically...:" and then said something about how he wanted to say how intimately connected good and evil are. Yes, but I was asking about the literal meaning! Still a fantastic song, of course..."Sayonara Judge" and "Mad Shelley" aren't chopped liver either....

Disco Robot and lightbulb like this.
  9. will_b_free

will_b_free Forum Resident

Maybe it is a hallway with a door dividing it, halfway down the hallway? Still one hallway.

wavethatflag and bzfgt like this.
  10. bzfgt

Yeah I thought of that. But then is it a "connecting doorway?" Or a random doorway in the middle of a connecting hallway? Difficulties abound...

wavethatflag likes this.
  11. Instant Dharma

Instant Dharma Dude/man

I really love his so called Green albums like Eye, Trains, Moss Elixer and even Luxor. The man just has no equal.

12. Instant Dharma

Instant Dharma Dude/man

Maybe its a hallways where all the doors open out towards the hall as opposed to the typical into the room. And maybe there are no doors at all, they are only in your perception.

bzfgt likes this.
  13. George Blair

George Blair Senior Member

Wow, gotta give you credit for asking. But, did you really think he'd write about a literal doorway in a hall? The man is a surrealist by nature. o_O

wavethatflag, zobalob and bzfgt like this.
  14. Instant Dharma

Instant Dharma Dude/man

Yeah @bzfgt all those MES lyrics and you have issues with that? ;)

Disco Robot and bzfgt like this.
  15. fallbreaks

fallbreaks Forum Resident

I absolutely love Robyn Hitchcock. For my money one of the most insightful songwriters of the last 50 years.

16. bzfgt

It's not that it's about a literal doorway, it's that the line has a literal meaning as well as a metaphorical one.

17. fairaintfair

fairaintfair I Buried Paul

What a lovely treasure this man is. His work with the The Soft Boys alone is enough to cement him as one of the great English pop songwriters.

18. Nitrous

Nitrous Forum Resident

Definitely a treasure. Seen him live a few times. Also got a gig booked next year in London. Looking forward to it.

bzfgt likes this.
  19. bobc

bobc Bluesman

Hi guys. On my 10-track LP entitled Robyn Hitchcock, on which I love every track, I don't find this track. Is it a mystery?

20. bzfgt

Which? "Autumn Sunglasses" should be track 9, "1970 in Aspic" is #7....unless there's a different s/t album with ten tracks?

wavethatflag likes this.
  21. Larsen

Larsen Forum Resident

First heard and saw Robyn in my hometown in 2008; He was playing with John Paul Jones and I guess that's the reason why I went. He started the concert with singing "bing-a-bong-a-bing-bong, bing-bong". Weird stuff. Loved it! Been following him ever since.

His latest album is a winner!

Twinge Crispy, wavethatflag and bzfgt like this.
  22. jomo48

jomo48 Forum Resident

At the risk of seeming overly flippant, Robyn is the naloxene for a Nick Cave overdose.

wavethatflag likes this.
  23. Alofter

Alofter Nowhere Man

The was the track that first hooked me. The quest began to have what I could find. Back when searching for media was a thing, and clove cigarettes.

24. Earl Grey Junior

Earl Grey Junior Forum Resident

I agree, that is a superb song. Thought it was just me who knew about it! Whole album is top drawer I think.

wavethatflag, bzfgt and Disco Robot like this.
  25. Disco Robot

Disco Robot Forum Resident

Weirdly, there IS another 10 track record called Robyn Hitchcock!

Robyn Hitchcock (1995 album) - Wikipedia

It's one of his many obscurities records.