Robyn Hitchcock. Your favorite album?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Sear, Oct 22, 2018.

1. Libertine

Libertine Forum Resident

I’ve read that they are going to write enough material for an album. I certainly hope that is the case!

2. bzfgt

bzfgt Interesting and Copacetic Denizen

First mention of Tromso, Kaptein I think...that is a great one!

srsch likes this.
  3. jeddy

jeddy Forum Resident

PROPELLOR TIME is a good one too

how'd he get Johnny Marr on there??

TexasBuck and bzfgt like this.
  4. bzfgt

He let him keep the propeller...

5. jeddy

jeddy Forum Resident

Ordinary Millionaire is wonderful pop music

Robyn and Marr should do more...

TexasBuck, srsch and bzfgt like this.
  6. palisantrancho

palisantrancho Forum Resident

My favorites get changed around from time to time. I like the earlier albums most. My favorites are from the beginning until the last album Respect with The Egyptians. He has still made good albums since, but I'm not as crazy about his more stripped down affairs. His voice has also changed a bit. I don't think there is a bad album in the bunch. He is one of the most consistent artists in the last 40 years. All of these are somewhat close in ranking.

Black Snake Diamond Röle
    Fegmania
    Element of Light
    Globe of Frogs
    Queen Elvis

I also love Perplex Island, Respect, and Groovy Decoy.

bzfgt likes this.
  7. ElevateMeLater

ElevateMeLater Jesus of Cool

Glad I'm not the only one that thinks this is his best. Been playing it nonstop ever since it came out.

8. bzfgt

It's odd, but it seems to me his voice was aging around Jewels for Sophia, but then to me it seems like it reversed back again...I honestly don't hear as much difference between something from Fegmania! and something from Robyn Hitchcock as between those and Jewels for Sophia. Maybe partly he was just doing something different with his voice, or maybe he had a cold when he recorded that...I don't know, maybe it's just me though?

I mean, I wouldn't deny it changed "a bit," but it doesn't seem like much to me

9. bzfgt

Count me in, I voted for it on the other thread!

ElevateMeLater and DME1061 like this.
  10. marc with a c

marc with a c Forum Resident

years later, this list hasn’t changed at all!

bzfgt likes this.
  11. DME1061

DME1061 Forum Resident

I'm working from home during the virus situation and decided to put this one on now.......what a brilliant album!!!

ElevateMeLater, srsch and bzfgt like this.
  12. Tristero

Tristero Touching from a distance

His voice has held up remarkably well over the years. I got to see him live last year and he sounded great, still able to hit the high notes. His guitar playing was excellent too and he did some piano as well, like for his interesting cover of "Astronomy Domine".

He's had a very rich career over the years. I first got into him in the mid-80s with the classic Egyptians albums--including the video for Gotta Let This Hen Out, which was like a virtual best of overview of his career up to that point--as well as the Soft Boys stuff. I lost track of him a bit in the 90s and found some of those more polished Egyptians albums to be unsatisfying, but he bounced back on 00s with stuff like Jewels For Sophia and Ole Tarantula. His later run, including Propeller Time, Goodnight Oslo and the s/t album has been really strong. I even enjoyed some of those acoustic covers from The Man Upstairs--his version of the Psychedelic Furs' "The Ghost of You" is phenomenal, a perfect fit for him. Obviously, he's not reinventing the wheel at this stage of his career, but he keeps delivering the goods. Now if he can come through on that promise of a full album with Andy Partridge, I'll be a happy man indeed!

brownie61, srsch and bzfgt like this.
  13. srsch

srsch Forum Resident

Robyn did two Instagram live streaming concerts recently. Too bad they're not archived. Keep an EYE out for more. He is still one of the truly most significant artists of our times.

TexasBuck and bzfgt like this.
  14. TerpStation

TerpStation "Music's not for everyone."

srsch and bzfgt like this.