Rock and Roll Hall Fame Class of 2020 is...

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by ModernDayWarrior, Jan 15, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jmac1979

Jmac1979 Forum Resident

While I am happy for Depeche Mode, NIN, T. Rex and Whitney (I know "she's not rock" but she was one of the icons of my youth and I think she deserves to be in there just like the big soul singers of the 60s are in), I am bummed for Pat Benatar especially since Roger Capps, her bassist up to "We Belong" (he played on some of Tropico but was replaced by the time of the album shoot), is a Facebook friend and he'd been posting updates all the time being really excited about Pat getting inducted, especially given he was the one playing on the albums that would merit her induction, so I know he's going to be really disappointed waking up today.

2. WolfSpear

WolfSpear Music Enthusiast

I’m guessing the fan ballots were for sheets and giggles.

None of the top vote getters were inducted this year :confused:

3. blastfurniss

blastfurniss Forum Resident

Of this list the only act that made me happy is T Rex. Kind of hard to exclude them after Def Leppard got in given how much of an influence T Rex was on them. I'm good with the Doobie Brothers as they not only successfully navigated thru a lead singer change but a big change in sound. NIN I expected. There's absolutely nothing rock about Whitney or BIG. I'm not a fan of the Dave Matthews Band but it sucks they won the fan vote and got denied. I feel terrible for Rundgren because he's so deserving and metal continues to be overlooked. Judas Priest is one of the most important metal bands and then there's Thin Lizzy-that band rocked and Phil Lynott was one of the great figures in rock. I can live with Landau but Azoff? I hate honoring the guy who has been partially responsible for gouging fans with high ticket prices.

Greenalishi, bresna and BeatleJWOL like this.
  4. Bloom

Bloom You're embarrassing me in front of the wizards

just Lol

5. DrProgQuest

DrProgQuest Forum Resident

Again, had no basis to assume it was a joke. There are probably many here that would think Spandau Ballet or The Romantics should be in.

6. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

Funny - some people believe there are literally dozens of artists who should've already been inducted, whereas you think they're scraping the bottom! :D

abescan and Bloom like this.
  7. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

I knew it was a joke, but I also know @Say It Right's posting style.

While the notion of Kihn in the HOF is ludicrous on the surface, you're right that plenty of other stretches of credulity have come up here!

Witchy Woman, Zeki and Say It Right like this.
  8. fmfxray373

fmfxray373 Capitol LPs in the 70s were pretty good.

My Love's In Jeopardy defined
    1981!

9. Jmac1979

Jmac1979 Forum Resident

To be fair, if that guitar rock anthem "When A Man Loves A Woman", a song that obviously influenced blues rock, heavy metal, punk and other forms of rock music post-1966 is enough to get an artist inducted, why the hell not "Jeopardy" and "The Breakup Song"? Jeopardy was one of the rare songs that was a hit on rock, pop, dance and r&b charts, isn't that enough to merit because of the across the board appeal, or should it have crossed over to country in order to get Greg a place?

10. DrProgQuest

DrProgQuest Forum Resident

King Crimson for one. 50 years, long overdue, should be in before these 80s, 90s bands. As should bands like Mc5, Motörhead, and Todd Rundgren.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2020
    sean4554, Sean, Aardvark23 and 3 others like this.
  11. JakeKlas

JakeKlas Impatiently waiting for an 8-track revival

Generally speaking, who gets in or not doesn’t interest me since I have so little respect for that institution. But if the Doobie Brothers getting in means it ensures we get their Quadio box sooner to tie in with the induction, I’ll be really happy.

pscreed likes this.
  12. pmdclassics

pmdclassics Forum Resident

Benatar, Rungren and Priest should be in. This is a Music hall of fame.

bru87tr, pscreed, Sean and 3 others like this.
  13. Fusionfan

Fusionfan Forum Resident

It's really a shame that the 'rock' hall was opened in the US by an American magazine instead of in Germany or the UK where it's far more likely that music which has nothing to do with rock would not regularly be put up for a vote, much less actually enter.

And that's without even discussing how significant prog, metal and hard rock have been for 50 years or more. Artists like like King Crimson, Priest, Motorhead, Todd Rundgren, Iron Maiden, ELP all impacted loads of people and musicians around the world.

And for those of you who keep saying 'they have been doing this for years', doing something ridiculous repeatedly doesn't make it less ridiculous.

14. Jmac1979

Jmac1979 Forum Resident

If Adele was a 60s artist, she'd be a no-brainer. I think Aretha covering "Rolling In The Deep" was all the cementing anyone needs.

Billie is still in the dawning of her career. It'll be 2044 by the earliest induction. No telling if she actually lives up to the hype or she becomes another in a long line of succession artists who really stunned people with a great debut record and spends the rest of her career in the shadows of it. I mean, I'm sure in 1996 a lot of people thought Alanis Morissette and Jewel would eventually be no-brainers, and it isn't so much the case 25 years after their breakthroughs.

15. fmfxray373

fmfxray373 Capitol LPs in the 70s were pretty good.

Boycotting Cleveland is like swearing off
    kidney stones.

16. Terrapin Station

Terrapin Station Master Guns

I like a lot of hip-hop, and I don't dislike the Notorious B.I.G., but I think he's kind of ridiculously overpraised. To my ears, he's more of a solid "also ran."

I'm also a sports fan, including a basketball fan, and one of the teams I'm a fan of is the Brooklyn (formerly New Jersey) Nets. Since moving to Brooklyn, they've constantly harped on the fact that Notorious B.I.G. was from Brooklyn, almost as if he's the only musician who ever came from Brooklyn (or even just the only hip-hop artist from Brooklyn). Heck, just this year the Nets are wearing "Bed-Stuy" jerseys as their "City Edition" alternates, simply because Notorious B.I.G. was from Bed-Stuy (a Brooklyn neighborhood). Was Notorious B.I.G. even a Nets fan when he was alive? The Nets were in New Jersey. If he was into basketball it would have been far more likely that he would have been a Knicks fan.

At any rate, at least Notorious B.I.G., who did all of two albums when he was alive, made it into the rock and roll hall of fame before Todd Rundgren, Judas Priest and Motorhead did. :sigh:

17. Danby Delight

Danby Delight Forum Resident

Ah, my favorite time of year on the SHMF, when grown-ass men spend literally weeks arguing over who gets a plaque in a gift shop on Lake Erie. Never change, y'all.

18. BluesOvertookMe

BluesOvertookMe Forum Resident

Makes sense for Doobies and Depeche Mode to get in, but I am still disappointed that Judas Priest did not get in. Pat Benatar seemed like she had a good enough resume as well. The Hall continues to puzzle and disappoint.

19. brownsound2112

brownsound2112 Forum Resident

To get upset is to lend some credence to this load of old tosh.

So yeah, not bothered - but looking forward to seeing NIN perform...

iworkatinitech likes this.
  20. Jmac1979

Jmac1979 Forum Resident

Depeche Mode are one year away from 40 years, still selling out arenas. Nine Inch Nails just passed the 30 year mark since their debut and they (he, really) sell out arenas too. Doobie Brothers are an amphitheater at best band who have to play on 3-4 artist lineup bills to play bigger venues. Depeche and NIN have both weathered through changing tastes and decades yet have left their audiences intact. I'd say bands who still draw huge crowds and still have interest in new music in 2020 who started out in 1981 and 1989 respectively have earned that status, especially since Doobie's were a "comeback" band less than 20 years after their breakthrough and shortly thereafter became just another jukebox touring oldies band not unlike Styx, Foreigner, REO, etc....

King Crimson aren't in this year so they're moot to the discussion. I get for people of a certain age Doobie's are more iconic to them because Depeche and especially NIN broke after they stopped following newer artists, but I would say most people under 50 would argue those two are at least as "iconic" too as The Doobie's, a band best known today for "Listen To The Music", "Black Water", "What A Fool Believes" and giving the yacht rock gods the gift of Michael McDonald (except Steely Dan technically beat them to the punch)

Billy Infinity likes this.
  21. Terrapin Station

Terrapin Station Master Guns

I don't know if the fan vote was ignored, but haven't they always said something like the fan vote counts as just one vote out of 100 or something?

22. Sneezyachew

Sneezyachew Forum Resident

it would be pretty arbitrary to suddenly stop now.

Odysseus likes this.
  23. Bloom

Bloom You're embarrassing me in front of the wizards

The sheer audacity that the HOF would embrace great music performed by minority artists, that have adapted with expanding tastes of fans for decades, that do not play guitar or hold to a very specific defined criteria just violates the very spirit of Rock and Roll. Pearls are clutched tightly.

PopularChuck, lc1995, Elton and 5 others like this.
  24. Great to see that real rock 'n' roll like Whitney Houston got the nod over non-rocking poseurs like Judas Priest and Thin Lizzy.

25. Arkoffs

Arkoffs Remote member

Jon Landau and no MC5 pretty much says it all about the RNRHOF.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.