Rock and Roll Hall Fame Class of 2020 is...

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by ModernDayWarrior, Jan 15, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Fusionfan

Fusionfan Forum Resident

Minority artists who don't play rock are minority artists who don't play rock, period. The former has nothing to do with the latter.

Jimi Hendrix isn't Whitney Houston and in a ROCK hall, that should matter.

The fact that you think you even articulated an argument is truly a marvel.

2. Jmac1979

Jmac1979 Forum Resident

Not sure what they dislike more, women or minorities... which means they especially lose it when the likes of Whitney, Janet and Donna Summer (I love the hypocrisy when they start on the "not rock" BS regarding her when everyone knows she actually recorded a rock and roll album in the early 1980s) are inducted especially when some guy with a guitar who had one hit song in 1976 still hasn't been inducted lol

lc1995, Bloom and Zoot Marimba like this.
  3. Jmac1979

Jmac1979 Forum Resident

Percy Sledge and a lot of the Motown artists (save an exception or two like Stevie Wonder or Marvin Gaye that actually evolved and made stuff that was embraced by a rock crowd) doesn't have anything more to do with "Rock and roll" than Whitney Houston or Janet Jackson (hello.. "Black Cat" anyone?) but people do seem to give that stuff a pass because boomers stuck in the 60s are fine with that, but just not anything that happened after they reached a specific age.

lc1995, Uther, Bloom and 1 other person like this.
  4. Zoot Marimba

Zoot Marimba And I’m The Critic Of The Group

5. scottp

scottp Forum Resident

The only things I've ever found to be amusing as it relates the rock and roll hall of fame are the letter John Lydon wrote declining the Sex Pistols attendance for induction & Alex's Lifeson's induction speech when Rush were finally voted in. That's about it.

aroney likes this.
  6. Murph

Murph Enjoy every sandwich!

Get him into the Rock -Khin- Roll hall of fame!!

PopularChuck, ARK, JDeanB and 2 others like this.
  7. DrProgQuest

DrProgQuest Forum Resident

You must have missed the part where I said the Doobie Bros were "close to iconic" and later "second tier iconic". So I don't think you understood the point of my post. There are older highly influential iconic bands who have been eligible and/or around far longer than some of these 80s/90s bands. Those more recent bands should wait their turn.

8. Bloom

Bloom You're embarrassing me in front of the wizards

Just wait until you get to the Janet Jackson, Aretha Franklin, Ray Charles plaques. You might need a lie down.

9. Fusionfan

Fusionfan Forum Resident

Who said I give Percy Sledge a pass? He's a ridiculous inclusion as well. Janet Jackson doing a song or 2 with some rock influences doesn't somehow make her a significant rock artist. It's absolutely absurd that this needs to be explained.

And harping on the racial status as opposed to the actual genre in question is an analytically bankrupt move when discussing a genre which unsurprisingly is accompanied by a gratuitous 'boomer' swipe.

Stormrider77 likes this.
  10. WolfSpear

WolfSpear Music Enthusiast

Out of all the inductees, T Rex is the one I know the least about...

I’m sure most people know “Get It On” but the only time I’ve heard about this group was when The Who name dropped them. Given that their success was predominantly in the UK, I think it opens the gates for Kate Bush and the Smiths in the future.

Sean, Witchy Woman and Bloom like this.
  11. averica

averica infinite rider on the big dogma

does anyone even care about this "award"?i find it about as relevant as The Grammys.and like someone inferred earlier...change the name ...some of the artists in there have zero to do with rock music

Brian Lux likes this.
  12. bartels76

bartels76 Forum Hall Of Fame

I think the HOF hates DMB even more than they did Kiss. Disappointed about Pat Benatar. She probably won’t get in next year either as I assume Alanis will get the nod

bru87tr likes this.
  13. Say It Right

Say It Right Not for the Hearing Impaired

It Tommy Tutone had more than "867-5309," maybe they'd have greater support too! :D

PopularChuck likes this.
  14. statcat

statcat Forum Resident

This ceremony becomes more of a joke as the years go by.

bru87tr likes this.
  15. DrProgQuest

DrProgQuest Forum Resident

Landau is being elected as a contributor is he not? How does his election exclude Mc5 as a band induction? They aren't related.

ARK and Arkoffs like this.
  16. Say It Right

Say It Right Not for the Hearing Impaired

When somebody else is too busy seeing red and policing the thread, that makes it doubly difficult to insert a little fun. :shrug:

17. rjp

rjp Senior Member

there are going to be lots and lots of criticisms about whitney houston and B.I.G. getting in the rock hall, and B.I.G. deserves to be in there as much as cat stevens belongs in the rap hall of fame, but i think just about everyone agrees on that one, and all rappers. rappers are NOT rock and roll, period and you can say anything you want about that comment, and i, till the day i die, will never ever agree.

houston however, is another story.

playing the devil's advocate here:

tell me why whitney houston belongs in the rock and roll hall of fame.....i'm dead serious. give me a legitimate reason why this woman deserves the honor of being enshrined in a cathedral honoring rock stars when she had literally nothing to do with rock and roll music whatsoever.

how do the powers that be explain it?

ranasakawa likes this.
  18. Zoot Marimba

Alright, let’s get this out of the way.

The term “rock and roll” does not necessarily apply only to rock. It is derived from rhythm and blues, gospel, jazz, and country amongst other genres. In addition, the term was largely interchangeable with pop or rhythm and blues, hence why Motown acts and, say, The Rolling Stones could be on the same bill and few would bat an eye.
    Disco, hip hop, funk, and the like also comes from similar roots as rock and roll did, and have impacted the development of various rock sub genres. Post-Punk, New Wave, Electronic-based rock genres, indie rock, to name a few.

19. bRETT

bRETT Senior Member

Just a reminder that:

-- The new RRHOF chairman is an upper-level exec at IHeart Media, which laid off more than 1000 employees yesterday.
    -- His former cohort Irving Azoff gets a special award this year.
    -- The band Azoff manages heads the list of inductees (after being eligible for decades).

This to me is more worth griping about than the presence of a great pop/R&B singer.

Elton, aroney, BeatleJWOL and 6 others like this.
  20. Terrapin Station

Terrapin Station Master Guns

Yeah, I'm actually a pretty big Whitney Houston fan, and she was extremely influential as a contemporary R&B/(dance) pop singer, but it would be difficult to make an argument that she was significantly influential on rock artists.

And if we're just going to make it a (popular) music hall of fame in general, it's a complete mess due to tons of important folks who are missing in all sorts of genres.

It's more like a Rolling Stone Hall of Fame with lots of token selections to try to make them seem hip and "worldly" (just as with their album lists, where they'll for example have a token jazz selection or two among all of the Beatles, Dylan, Springsteen, etc.).

21. boe

boe Forum Resident

And Landau had something to do with the MC5’s failure. His production on Back In The USA was beyond abysmal.

Funny that all the critics / voters who I’m sure pride themselves on their discerning tastes haven’t figured out yet that Kraftwerk is easily one of the most influential bands post-Beatles.

DavidD, Hiraeth, Arkoffs and 2 others like this.
  22. Jmac1979

Jmac1979 Forum Resident

They seem to give Aretha and Ray an exception because they were popular in the 1960s which is the center of the universe and the epicenter of when everything happened musically.

I think there's a lot of hatred for women too.... just look at the endless debates whether Joan Jett or Blondie or Stevie Nicks as a solo artist belong in the HOF even though they fall into their preferred "it's rock music" mentality, but they're not good enough even though lesser 60s/70s male artists get in without 1/10th of the controversy. Hell, even when it was the nomination progress, I saw people arguing that Pat Benatar simply didn't have a long enough mainstream career (first hit was in 1979, last hit was in 1988, her biggest hits were in 1983-1984) to get in even though bands who had one or two at best successful albums in the mid-70s somehow deserve to be in more.

lc1995, BluesOvertookMe and Bloom like this.
  23. Zoot Marimba

Thank you!

Elton, BeatleJWOL and bRETT like this.
  24. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

A great man once ran a thread about Alanis and the Rock Hall:

Alanis Morissette in the Rock Hall of Fame - Thoughts?

She'll be eligible next year. (Yeah, I know she's technically eligible now due to her Canadian pop albums, but no one recognizes those! :D)

I think she'll get attention. Her 2020 "JLP" tour - which seems to be selling very well - will probably help her cause...

25. Indeed, there are all types here. I mean, in this very thread somebody called the Doobie Brothers "iconic"!

C6H12O6 and Say It Right like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.