Rock and Roll Hall Fame Class of 2020 is...

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by ModernDayWarrior, Jan 15, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Say It Right

Say It Right Not for the Hearing Impaired

Industry heavyweight, sells tickets to the dinner, respected widely in the genre. A no doubter.

2. KJTC

KJTC Forum Resident

Jay-Z is eligible for next year’s ceremony, as are the Foo Fighters and the Chemical Brothers.

I wonder about Eminem, who is eligible in two years. Hard to discount his influence and impact.

Kanye West is a genius, but I wonder if he’s too polarizing to get in right away, especially since he’s eligible the same year as Beyoncé. We will find out in 2029!

I could see Coldplay going in, but not sure about first year. They’re eligible in 2023.

3. DrProgQuest

DrProgQuest Forum Resident

Well that statement I completely disagree with. I've seen both groups live several times as well as Gilmour, Waters and Mason live solo, and I can assure you what I was listening to and seeing was Rock and Roll of the highest order. David Gilmour's iconic guitar licks are firmly rooted in the blues rock pantheon. When you're watching an inflated giant pig floating over your head, with songs shouting out the Orwellian nightmares of corporate and government corruption and control, interspersed with lyrics like "..I'm going to cut you up into little pieces", and with other stage imagery giving a big FU to the current Fraud in Chief, you cannot get more rock and roll than that.
    Just because it pushes the limits and is out of left field and progressive and different than basic 3 chord beat rock doesn't make it "not rock" or "unrecognizable" because you don't like it or understand it. Rock was supposed to be all about pushing the boundaries and going to the limits in many ways--the idea of making June and Ward Cleaver uncomfortable.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2020
    Szeppelin75 likes this.
  4. Jmac1979

Jmac1979 Forum Resident

I wonder if a lot of Kanye's recent antics will work against him, kind of like how Morrissey (well more with The Smiths than solo) and Ted Nugent have probably destroyed any serious chances of getting in.

KJTC likes this.
  5. Terrapin Station

Terrapin Station Master Guns

[​IMG]

danasgoodstuff likes this.
  6. SoundAdvice

SoundAdvice Senior Member

Beyonce's first major label single release was November 1997, with Destiny's Child.

7. Frangelico

Frangelico Forum Resident

This is precisely the criteria the nominating committee uses. Whomever they want in, sometimes due to politics, nepotism of sorts, and money grabs. My criteria would be much better defined and not political. They purged a bunch of committee members some years ago with great knowledge about the early days of rock and its influences. A RRHOF based in Britain and not involving the current committee members would be much different.

How is having Springsteen’s manager in the Hall and chairman of the nominating committee not a conflict ? Putting the artists’ managers in is a bit ridiculous now unless they were also very significant producers/promoters across multiple artists. It’s ridiculous and they put this guy in before many more worthy managers/producers/promoters. It’s an echo chamber.

8. DrProgQuest

Is that from your personal photo collection? :help:

9. Frangelico

Frangelico Forum Resident

For RS - The Beatles (Tomorrow Never Knows), T. Rex, The Byrds, The Doors, Woodstock, Monterey Pop, jazz music (John and Alice Coltrane).

10. Jonahthecat

Jonahthecat The one who buys the vinyls before a turntable

I have to say nickelback is your “somewhat not THAT bad cookie cutter post-grunge” band, but I’m gonna be honest at least it has instruments for crying out loud.

11. KJTC

KJTC Forum Resident

That makes the group eligible in 2023 but Beyoncé isn’t eligible as a solo artist until 2028.

Jmac1979 likes this.
  12. Jmac1979

Jmac1979 Forum Resident

Honestly though, I think acts like Springsteen and Eagles/Fleetwood Mac (as Irving Azoff is also in) were pretty much sure things towards getting in the HOF with or without theit managers. Now is they try and push Clarence Clemons or Patti Scalfa's solo careers into the Hall, then there's a point to be made, but I think Springsteen would've probably gotten in at some point with or without Landau

KJTC likes this.
  13. Jmac1979

Jmac1979 Forum Resident

I'm unsure if Destiny's Child will get in if TLC hasn't been considered yet. DC like NSYNC to Justin Timberlake are now mostly remembered as a springboard for the inevitable solo career. They had some huge huge hits at the turn of the millennium but I think when Beyonce hit the ground running with Crazy In Love, they were all but an afterthought.

KJTC likes this.
  14. Jmac1979

Jmac1979 Forum Resident

Honestly though, Nickelback sounds more like a lot of bro-country than actual modern rock music. I think it also didn't help that Nickelback rose to fame at a time where a lot of exciting new bands were taking off in the rock world and getting lots of hype and acclaim (ala The Strokes, White Stripes and that whole onslaught of indie/garage rock that emerged from 2001 up until around the time Arctic Monkeys came around in 2005-6) yet the act that crossed over to mainstream airplay and actual chart success was this band of generic MOR pap. It was the equivalent to how people must've felt at the beginning of the 1980s watching all the faceless corporate rock explode when there was so much more coming out that has held the test of time better.

As it stands, Nickelback probably weren't the worst thing to happen musically in the 2000s, but that they left such a negative impression that they ended up commercially sinking an entire genre, it's easier to hate them. So many 20-somethings I've encountered have never bothered with rock music because they associate the genre with acts like Nickelback to where I don't know if there will ever be a commercial resurgence at this point.

Zoot Marimba likes this.
  15. DrProgQuest

Understatement of the Century. Jon Landau is in because of Bruce, not the other way around.

16. PacificOceanBlue

PacificOceanBlue Senior Member

Considering the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame is filled with artists very loosely associated with the genre or not associated with the genre at all, it makes sense that an important band like Depeche Mode is in, but I do think there is something very wrong with a nothing contributor like Andrew Fletcher being in the Rock And Roll of Fame before rock icons like Phil Lynott and Rob Halford.

Billy Infinity and Jonahthecat like this.
  17. Herman Schultz

Herman Schultz Forum Resident

I'm a fan of Pink Floyd myself. I own everything from Meddle to The Division Bell, have listened to and enjoyed Piper, Saucerful, More and Obscured, and saw them live in 1994 at the Carrier Dome in Syracuse, NY. When I say that they stretched rock 'n' roll to the point of unrecognizability, it's not a criticism. They are giants both commercially and artistically. I do think it's a stretch to put them in the top ten rock artists of all-time, however. Top ten bands is more justifiable. They have been in my personal top ten rock artists in the past and remain in my top twenty.

18. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

That's exactly what I said: Shankar influenced Harrison and that spread a little.

The influence you cite was over in a few years.

Shankar wasn't a major influence on the overall evolution of rock - unless you want to claim that the way he influenced Harrison opened up rock to more "exotic" sounds period.

But then I'd put the influence on George, not Ravi...

Herman Schultz likes this.
  19. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

One could argue that Bruce's career wouldn't have reached the heights it did sans Landau - who knows what would've happened if he stayed with Appel?

But obviously it'd be nuts to argue that Bruce got inducted just because Landau pushed the nom through the HOF.

Bruce was as first ballot and first ballot gets - and both Eagles/F Mac were obvious first ballot inductees too...

20. Jmac1979

Jmac1979 Forum Resident

At least it's not as pathetic as Josh Klinghoffer being a member because RHCP were generous. At least Fletch has paid his dues for 40 years. Josh had been in Chili Peppers for about three years when he got inducted while his only offering at the time was a forgettable 2011 album.

Zoot Marimba likes this.
  21. musicaner

musicaner Forum Resident

Legal reasons? Lol its called Bruce wanting the royalties for himself.
    Besides, Bruce has been going out of his way to NOT record with them, only tours with them to avoid half filled halls.

Jimmy B. likes this.
  22. Jonahthecat

Jonahthecat The one who buys the vinyls before a turntable

Man, that’s so awesome to see them live. I live in a city where we don’t bother getting live shows. I also can’t do long drives. If only one could request a live show near me.

23. musicaner

musicaner Forum Resident

thats why Im proposing that everyone be inducted into the HofF including all members of this forum.

MetalGuruMessiah and cwitt1980 like this.
  24. Christian Hill

Christian Hill It's all in the mind

Josh was playing with them in 2007. They were inducted in 2012.

Your grapes are sour.

25. DrProgQuest

Your views on the HOF are so well thought out, rational and reasonable. Hooray for common sense!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.