Rock and Roll Hall Of Fame 2019 nominees

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by ModernDayWarrior, Oct 9, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chris DeVoe

Chris DeVoe RIP Vickie Mapes Williams (aka Equipoise)

Of course whoever wins the fan vote gets 1/1000th of the total votes. And someone gets a whole lot of e-mail addresses. Hardly seems like a good deal.

MikaelaArsenault, jimhb and Zeki like this.
  2. SoundAdvice

SoundAdvice Senior Member

If one act the RRHOF would otherwise ignore gets an overwhelming amount of votes they might consider them. Media can see how fan voting compares to the final inductees. Otherwise the fan vote is more or less meaningless.

I find it interesting that Radiohead's internet savvy and very large fanbase don't seem to care one iota whether they are in or not.

3. rjp

rjp Senior Member

an honest, and in no way a smartass, question:

if 'kick out the jams" opening line was "kick out the jams, boys and girls" instead of "kick out the jams mother f****rs" would the MC5 even be in this conversation?

4. Fannymac

Fannymac Forum Resident

Pretty much 3-4 nominees out of the 5 on the fan ballot have gotten in in every one of the last 7-8 years, with every first place finisher being inducted.
    Personally, I think the fan ballot was the best thing the Hall could have done, and has definitely made a difference.

5. sons of nothing

sons of nothing Forum Resident

Zombies over RATM. Lol. I can't imagine those "anti-capitalists" getting the in vote. That said, they were an incredible band, but I can almost see them turning it down.

6. Chris DeVoe

...or showing up and standing naked with duct tape over their mouths, with the letter R. R. H. F. painted on their chests, with feedback squealing.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2018
  7. sons of nothing

That'd be great. But they should wear black socks over their junk.

8. Chris DeVoe

Nah, that's more of a Chili Peppers thing.

9. AudiophilePhil

AudiophilePhil Senior Member

I have a hunch that this would be the very first time the winner of popular vote will not be inducted.

10. sons of nothing

I know, but they're so anti everything when it comes to what RHCP did, and are all about.

The tape idea is much better. They can take it as far as putting it over their eyes, and ears as well. So many people ignore bad things until it happens in their yard.

Covering their mouths is perfect, representing how too many people see bad things and remain silent.

11. SoundAdvice

SoundAdvice Senior Member

Guitarist Tom Morello is on the committee and has attended many times. Singer Zach making a rare appearance in public is the better question - AFAIK, it'd be his first performance in 8 years.

Stevie Nicks may be a pre-planned plot point for the HBO broadcast. First double female inductee in during Me Too era is newsworthy to some. Also Fleetwood Mac's 2019 tour is already in NYC and has that weekend off.

Personally, I find nearly all double inductees silly. It's like inducting athletes if they had success on more than one team. Wayne Gretzky inducted as an Edmonton Oiler and an LA King!!!

12. Danby Delight

Danby Delight Forum Resident

He's bipolar and I can tell from family experience that he is not currently taking his meds.

13. Danby Delight

Danby Delight Forum Resident

They're in Phil's garage.

14. LandHorses

LandHorses I contain multitudes

Because of Elektra Records, it was "brothers and sisters" for a long time.

They're still part of the conversation.

BadJack, Zoot Marimba and Synthfreek like this.
  15. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

Dunno how accurate these stats are, but they show Janet's 2017 tour was all over the place in terms of sales.

18 of the 56 shows were 90% capacity or above.

8 of the shows were 50% or below.

Janet did worst in southern markets, though not uniformly, as she did fine in some of them.

The tour did fine overall - it's just really scattered in terms of highs and lows...

16. AudiophilePhil

AudiophilePhil Senior Member

She's way too overrated if the RRHOF inducts her for the second time as a solo artist. Only the solo Beatles and a few others deserve to be inducted more than once.

17. Szeppelin75

Szeppelin75 Forum Resident

This is bussiness and they got to have an A lister artist like Stevie Nicks inducted otherwise the general public will have no interest in the show.

18. Chris DeVoe

Janet Jackson is an "A lister." Stevie Nicks solo was never asked to do a Super Bowl halftime.

19. misteranderson

misteranderson Forum Resident

Crimson's not in. That's crazy.

I love Radiohead, and really couldn't care less. I suspect the guys in the band care even less than I do.

20. jimhb

jimhb Forum Resident

If you can only pick 5:

The Cure

Rage Against The Machine
    Devo
    Kraftwerk
    MC5

21. rjp

rjp Senior Member

george harrison more than deserved it.

ringo, on the other hand, hideous, even it was a sideman.

ringo being in solo opens the door for many many others.....................................who otherwise i would not even consider

22. Olompali

Olompali Forum Resident

George Harrison: Concert for Bangla Desh. Made way for rock star benefits ie. Live Aid, etc
    Album of the Year Grammy as well.

In.

23. Black Magic Woman

Black Magic Woman Forum Resident

Okay, I stand corrected. I can see the case for George Harrison.

But Ringo meh.

Zoot Marimba likes this.
  24. Dylancat

Dylancat Forum Resident

Ringo

Yes

25. BadJack

BadJack doorman who always high-fives children of divorce

Apparently Wayne Kramer played bass on "Back in the USA" because Michael Davis had trouble adjusting to the studio, but I think each of those guys was pretty skilled on their instrument. The guitar players were awesome and Dennis Thompson was great. I think they should get in for Sonic Smith's solo on "The American Ruse" alone.

It was funny for me to realize that "Kick Out the Jams" is my least favorite of their three albums, because it's great. They were an amazing band and I'm happy if Kramer and Thompson get some recognition.

LandHorses and trumpet sounds like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.