Rock and Roll Hall Of Fame 2019 nominees

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by ModernDayWarrior, Oct 9, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. To me, "Nasty" sounds kind of like a sped up, radical Prince remix of "A Screw". This "screwed & chopped" version kind of shows what I mean (and gives Ms Jackson a sex change in the process):

Maurice likes this.
  2. Bloom

Bloom You're embarrassing me in front of the wizards

Really difficult to do with the 25 year-since-first-album rule.

And the point about missing peaks of Sonic Youth and Soundgarden is revisionist- it's easy to look back now and realize their brilliance, but it's nearly impossible to call a band in the early parts of their career an all-time great as it is happening. I mean, by your formula we have already missed The White Stripes, Ryan Adams and Arcade Fire, and need to be inducting Parquet Courts, Thee Oh Sees, and LCD Soundsystem (who are all already 10+ years into their storied careers) like right now, and most of this board would be clutching their pearls left and right at the thought of that.

Papi Hipbone323 likes this.
  3. Hombre

Hombre Forum Resident

I think you just ignore the story of the Zombies, and the historic restoration they had since the '90s. I'm not a baby boomer, I'm 40 years old and love the Zombies; and I'm not an isolated example. And as I already told you, most baby boomers did not listen to the Zombies during the '60s (they just may have known their hits).

Probably your confusion comes from the fact that the Zombies are not a massive band, so you won't know many fans; but people who like digging deeply into music tend to appreaciate them, and those people belong to different generations.

4. noahjld

noahjld Der Wixxer

You certainly did. I also learned something.

5. Olompali

Olompali Forum Resident

One thing I got fresh from the 1st wave of British Invasion as a kid.
    These were real bands. Just undeniable.
    Unlike the Idolmaker Bobbys & Frankies or even the Surf scene that seemed so much like College vocal groups. The Zombies and The Animals along with the Big Usual Suspects really brought rock n roll back home and made everyone around want electric instruments and create songs with friends.
    From the morning till the end of the day

Jose Jones likes this.
  6. FrixFrixFrix

FrixFrixFrix Senior Member

Every year on Christmas Day! :shtiphat:

7. johnnyyen

johnnyyen Senior Member

So Kraftwerk fail yet again. They only managed to change the face of popular music.

8. Say It Right

Say It Right Not for the Hearing Impaired

Eno was only on the first 2 albums. That was early 70's! He's known more as a producer in the wider musical universe than for his solo work. That includes Talking Heads too, which was a very fruitful partnership. His connection with Roxy is similar to what, say, Robin Trower's was with Procol Haram. So, we'll see if he's even part of the group inducted. He definitely wouldn't perform if this is even the case.

Roxy was enormously influential on the New Romantics scene. Thats a big bit of why they're getting inducted. Then, in terms of longevity, Ferry's solo career hasn't let up.

9. bartels76

bartels76 Forum Hall Of Fame

I'm still shocked Warren hasn't gotten in. That one is a head scratcher.

10. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

Eno may've been involved only briefly, but obviously people associate him with the band - well, this people did, at least! :D

Maybe Roxy's induction has nothing to do with Eno, but at the very least, I think his presence in the band helps...

SuntoryTime likes this.
  11. Danby Delight

Danby Delight Forum Resident

I did find myself wondering which if any of the bass players would get inducted. (For non-fans: Roxy had a different bass player on nearly every album.) I assume the inducted lineup would be Bryan, Brian, Phil, Andy and Paul.

12. rjp

rjp Senior Member

:yikes:

although considering where the hall is headed it wouldn't surprise me if he got in before brian wilson.

NYMets41 likes this.
  13. Tristero

Tristero In possession of the future tense

Like I said before, they don't have a natural constituency among rock hall voters. To put it another way, the kind of people who care about Kraftwerk (including the band themselves) probably don't care much about the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame (hence their low fan vote ranking). Now Def Leppard on the other hand. . .

Last edited: Dec 14, 2018
  14. Tristero

At least we know that Mike would give a more memorable acceptance speech!

NYMets41 likes this.
  15. Black Magic Woman

Black Magic Woman Forum Resident

Yeah, I get it. But I still don’t understand how did a band, forgotten by younger generations, and I’m talking about 18-35 year old demographic, get in? They had 3 big hits back then, they were “”””influential””” back then.

Okay, maybe it isn’t exclusively boomer
    nostalgia, but it still is nostalgia. You probably already know it but the people who vote for the nominees are mostly in their 60s or 50s.

Arkoffs likes this.
  16. NettleBed

NettleBed Forum Transient

Given the Rock Hall's historical preferences, (the type of artists being inducted around the time that Kraftwerk became eligible) I'm not at all surprised that Kraftwerk has not been inducted.

However, the goalposts have definitely shifted in recent years. Rather than moving forward and focusing on the artists from the '80s and '90s, the Rock Hall continues to look backward to the '60s and '70s for anybody for which any arguable case could be made. 20 years ago, inducting Kraftwerk didn't seem like a realistic possibility (to say nothing of The Zombies, who are remembered almost entirely for a single album), but in light of more recent precedent, it is no longer far fetched at all. I guess this is to continue to appeal to its core demographic (Boomers). The other half of the Rock Hall's changing standards is to induct just about anybody from the late '70s - present who was hugely popular, all other factors mostly being ignored. This is to maintain relevance to younger generations.

It was always fairly apparent who, among the core 50s and 60s artists, the rock hall was for. But time moves on and the HOF has decided to continue to induct a bunch of artists every year. So, as the pool of obvious inductees diminishes, the less-obvious ones will get their call. The show must go on, regardless of who the headliners are.

RocksOff87 likes this.
  17. bRETT

bRETT Senior Member

Keep in mind that a good 80% of people who even know about Odessey & Oracle found out about it around 2000, when "Zombie Heaven" was released.As oft noted, the album didn't sell when released; Rhino reissued it around 1989 to no response at all. Then the box set comes out and the Zombies become something of a Velvet Underground for pop/psych fans. Some people who found out about them were boomers; I'd say just as many were Posies/Matthew Sweet fans who found out about it via Pitchfork (or whatever the equivalent was at that time).

In any case it was a unique story how the ZOmbies came back at full strength in the wake of that, and that as much as anything is why theyre in the RRHOF.

18. That80sBaldAsianBadGuy

That80sBaldAsianBadGuy Forum Resident

Very surprised that Roxy Music and The Cure finally got in. The pessimist in me thought they would get passed over again because the committee seems to hate 80s british post punk bands. Def Lepperd and Radiohead was expected to get in because the former was easily predicted would win the fan votes and the latter had critical acclaim, commercial album success and was one of the most influential 90s artist

Zoot Marimba likes this.
  19. I'm pretty thrilled The Cure got in, and equally so Radiohead -- and although I'm really only a fan of Roxy Music's 3rd, 4th, & 5th albums -- them getting in is great too.

I would LOVE for Gang of Four to get in!! And The Smiths clearly deserve it too (though it seems unfathomable that there'd be a reunion, let alone Morrissey either showing up, or showing up and not giving an 'acceptance' speech to end all acceptance speeches). XTC too would be most deserving, and very arguably Joy Division (maybe even before everyone else I've already mentioned).

Not loosing any sleep over who gets in, or never gets it, but it's nice when deserving bands are finally recognized. I've got a super soft spot for Robert Smith, and say what you want, he's been turning out interesting material his entire career -- and frankly, I listen to about 80% of his post-Disintegration albums as much or more than the early stuff -- very underrated. Nothing but the highest respect for that guy; a real and unique talent.

TheSeldomSeenKid and juno6000 like this.
  20. Arkoffs

Arkoffs Remote member

I would argue the Zombies are as well known to younger generations as to boomers. I saw them play last year and there were as many millennials there as 70 year olds. O&O has developed a huge cult over the years. I would bet it's sold way more in reissues than it ever did in the '60s.

21. juno6000

juno6000 Forum Resident

Apparently it doesn't matter since RUFUS (featuring Chaka Khan) and LL(ol) Cool Jay were also nominated and didn't get in.
    Poor company for DEVO and even more so, Kraftwerk, which is truly a crime. Kraftwerk are definitely more than deserving. This Hall of Fame doesn't know what it wants to be. Kraftwerk were more influential than any of the others by far. Stevie Nicks is a wasted slot, and I would say the same for Janet Jackson..
    The Cure and Zombies......I am happy about those!

Last edited: Dec 14, 2018
    SpudOz likes this.
  22. vertigone

vertigone Forum Resident

Haha, I like them too but I put their chances at about 0%. Joy Division has a much stronger case but even that seems a long shot.

Zoot Marimba, uzn007 and juno6000 like this.
  23. uzn007

uzn007 Watcher of the Skis

Janet Jackson is like Led Zeppelin compared to Stevie Nicks' solo career. I'm looking forward to Mick Jagger to get inducted as a solo artist next.

YMC4, Rooster_Ties, longaway and 3 others like this.
  24. Tristero

I think that a Joy Division/New Order combo might have a decent shot. There's some precedence for this when you consider the Small Faces/Faces induction. I dig the Gang of Four, but agree that they're unlikely to even get nominated.

25. Black Magic Woman

Black Magic Woman Forum Resident

This video alone is worth of a nomination!

RocksOff87 and uzn007 like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.