DCC Archive Rock and Roll movies

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by indy mike, Nov 6, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Matt

Matt New Member

"American Hot Wax," the Alan Freed movie, is on tonight on AMC. Haven't seen it, but have heard really good things about it.

2. Mart

Mart New Member

AuPh-

I'll have to look those up & see if any are available on LaserDiscs. [​IMG]

I like my Pink Floyd LDs as my favorite concerts thus far. They were very well recorded. However, I'm still trying to get hold of a Metallica : "S&M" and Scorpions : "Moment Of Glory". Hopefully, the LDs will sound much cleaner than the VHS casettes.

3. R. Cat Conrad

R. Cat Conrad Almost Famous

Most of what I have is on LD, although I've been building a pretty nice library of DVDs. If you like Floyd, you would probably like the rare import LD I have of Syd Barrett era Pink Floyd performing two instrumental pieces in the studio. This is actually stunning visually and sound-wise; the audio is superior to most live recordings period! The ELP "Pictures..." LD I own isn't the abreviated version available over here, but the full length Japanese import. The July 4th '70 Jimi Hendrix performance at the Atlanta Pop Festival is a very ON night and the Jap. import LD hasn't to my knowledge been released in DVD format in any region! The Isle of Wight Festival Jap. import (i.e., documenting the entire concert much like Woodstock the previous year) has been released over here, but the import LD had an entire side of extra performances by bands which weren't featured in the main body of the film!

Good luck on finding any of the rarer titles on LD. Occasionally, I do put one or more of my imports up for auction on eBay when domestic copies become available on DVD (note: the prices often reach double or triple the original cost on rock music import LDs), but some things, like my Jap. import of FREE with it's tribute to Paul Kossoff or the complete 1 1/2 hr. Cream Farewell Concert, just haven't been re-released in any other format to my knowledge.

Anyway, my next big goal is to purchase a backup LD player.

Whew! (again)

Cheers,
    Robert Cat Conrad

[ November 11, 2001: Message edited by: Robert Cat Conrad ]

4. Mart

Mart New Member

Thanks for the info. From eBay I have developed a LD connection for brand new Japanese titles. I'll ask him.

Yes, I was also contemplating buying a replacement LD player. I've feelers out for the EAD. I heard they just tweaked my Pioneer CLV-99. It may be worth the price of admission.

BTW, do you have Floyd's Dark Side of the Moon (MFSL)? My Velodyne 18"s can rumble mortar apart on that album.

5. Mart

Mart New Member

• Thanks for the info. From eBay I have developed a LD connection for brand new Japanese titles. I'll ask him.
    • Yes, I was also contemplating buying an additional replacement player for my hubdreds of LDs. I've feelers out for the EAD. I heard they just tweaked my Pioneer CLV-99. It may be worth the price of admission.
    • I probably own the Pink FLoyd LD to which you referred as I have just about every video but "The Wall" (intentional).
      [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

(I also have the Cream video. Cool stuff. Damn, I was I could've seen them live.)

BTW, do you have Floyd's Dark Side of the Moon (MFSL)? My Velodyne 18"s can rumble mortar apart on that album.

6. Unknown

Unknown Guest

Ewwww...La Carrera Panamericana. "New" songs. Yeah right. Boring.

7. Mart

Mart New Member

It must've been Pompeii that was recorded so well. I knew one was bad & one was good but forgot which. I also remember that the good recording included some interviews which reminded everyone how drugged out these bands were back then. [​IMG]

In fact, it reminds me of an A&E program on our forefathers in which they recounted typical colonial alcohol consumption. Not only would a modern American get arrested for public intoxication but mayn't be able to walk. [​IMG]

8. R. Cat Conrad

Yes; it's one of the Japanese pressings too. BTW, have you ever noticed a sub-sonic rumble in "Money" at about 1'30" into the song which lasts about 30 or 40 seconds? It's definitely on the recording, but I'm wondering if it's a natural part of the master tape or a by-product of remastering? :confused:

Robert Cat Conrad

9. R. Cat Conrad

10. Unknown

Unknown Guest

Isn't that the same footage that's on

this? It might be rare on LD, but I don't think it's rare on VHS. Don't know about DVD.

It's also common on CD:

CD1

CD2

I have the same material on a UK LP.

11. R. Cat Conrad

Yep! That's it alright! I was unaware of the other releases, but to my understanding it's very rare on LD; the video/sound quality is outstanding on the import LD version. BTW, I don't think that this is out on DVD.

Thanks for the VHS/CD info.

Cat

12. Gary

Gary Nauga Gort! Staff

Someone told me that Phantom of the Paradise was just released on DVD! I'll try to pop downtown this week to see if its true!

Although I've never been too impressed with Paul Williams, IMO he hit the mark with Phantom!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.