Rock bands/artists who went pop

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by seed_drill, Feb 13, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

Yup - that was my point. VH never "went pop" - they were pop from the debut on! :)

2. Jayski

Jayski Forum Resident

Seems that no one mentioned the worst violator---Grand Funk Railroad

3. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

Robert Plant...

4. dmiller458

dmiller458 Forum Resident

When you start out AOR or corporate arena rock to begin with, how commercial can you go?

5. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

Good point. I was 10 when Foreigner debuted and they clearly appealed to a pop audience then - I mean, a lot of rock was also "pop" at that time.

No, 1970s radio-friendly rock wasn't "pop" like Barry Manilow or Carpenters were "pop", but I think "pop" is a broad umbrella - and was even more so in the 1970s since rock was so big in that era.

I wouldn't claim that a rock song automatically becomes "pop" because it's a hit, but "pop" and "rock" aren't as mutually exclusive as some seem to feel...

Terrapin Station likes this.
  6. Jose Jones

Jose Jones Outstanding Forum Member

Those stations have osteoporosis.

7. Jose Jones

That's right. There was a time not all that long ago, where a hard rock song could still become a hit. That time seems to have passed into history now. The 7os rockers like Queen and Aerosmith and Van Halen to some extent did seek out some pop glory while trying to fit into the 80s culture and radio.

8. zen

zen Senior Member

Queen and Aerosmith carried it forward and made appearances on American Idol. At least VH knew when to stop "fitting into culture."

9. John Adam

John Adam An Introvert In Paradise

(Most) or all of them.........

Comes a time when a DJ or a record company took that one song, even if it's not representative of that band, and it ends up on the radio. Then they want more.
    Of course artists have a choice, but most of them like to have their music heard. Before the Internet, radio and MTV-VH1 were those avenues. Now you can do whatever you please and have a worldwide audience and avoid the cliche'.

10. Jose Jones

More like they didn't have the nerve with Sammy. Not enough girl appeal w/o Dave.

11. zen

zen Senior Member

Try again. :)

12. Dr.D

Dr.D Forum Resident

Coldplay were borderline early on, but fully sold out to pop from album five onwards in my opinion.

13. Jose Jones

No reason to. I stand by my remarks. :)

14. 500Homeruns

500Homeruns Peaceful Punk

This is the first band that I thought about after reading the title.

BryanA-HTX likes this.
  15. Jose Jones

Let's face it, the entire Hair Metal genre was an excuse for metal bands to go pop....to try to get the girl fans as well as the boys.

16. Chris from Chicago

Chris from Chicago Experience is simply the name we give our mistakes

I think music in general went from more of a rock foundation to a pop sound. So... while most of these are accurate examples, nearly everyone would be. The 80's weren't kind to most classic rockers.

17. seed_drill

seed_drill Senior Member Thread Starter

Van Halen had 7 top 40 hits with Dave (three of which were covers) and 9 with Sammy.

18. seed_drill

My point was never commercial vs. non commercial. It was FM rock vs. Top 40 pop.

19. seed_drill

Other than Motley Crue, not sure how many of those groups had metal bonafides to begin with. Most of them were using Van Halen as their template, rather than, say, Zeppelin or Sabbath.

20. Jose Jones

Their metal cred or not didn't matter that much; theirs was the age of MTV, spandex, and hair spray.

seed_drill likes this.
  21. ranasakawa

ranasakawa Forum Resident

Gentle Giant
    Santana
    Clapton
    U2
    Steven Wilson - his last album
    Rush
    Allman Brothers Band - 2 albums in the early 1980s

22. seed_drill

I'm just saying that other than Motley Crue, those Sunset Strip bands didn't sweeten their sound, most of them were poppy from their debut album on. Though some did actually try to go the reverse route and toughen their sound after hair metal went out of fashion.

23. Jose Jones

Nowadays, it seems easier to go from rock artist to country artist. Especially for those not so young anymore....

24. dmiller458

dmiller458 Forum Resident

Just because Straight From the Heart (for example) got played on FM rock stations doesn't mean that it wasn't a pop song. Bryan Adams didn't go pop. He didn't have to. He was already pop.

25. The Jam into the Style Council

The Clash into Big Audio Dynamite

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.