Rock Candy Records re-issues

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Natvecal., Jan 1, 2018.

1. Natvecal.

Natvecal. JUST A LOW- FI GUY WHO LOVES A GREAT MASTERING Thread Starter

Tony Cruse and Rhett like this.
  2. ToddH

ToddH Forum Resident

read that link I posted. It was a link not a question honestly.

They are very compressed and sound poor on a stereo but as I said in the thread they are very good if you are using them with headphones and are much louder than the originals if you ripped them from the discs. So they are nice in that respect.

They are tough to take on an actual stereo. My ears hurt within a few minutes.

Queezma likes this.
  3. Jimmy Agates

Jimmy Agates CRAZY DOCTOR

I'd take that miles before the other 3 you mentioned!

lenny nero likes this.
  4. Leo Lyons

Leo Lyons New Member

Can anyone comment on the Damn Yankees CD? Also hope they do Night Ranger albums.

Queezma likes this.
  5. Queezma

Queezma Forum Resident

Have not heard the Damn Yakees reissue. I honestly don’t know how they could improve on the original....was recorded fully digitally in 1990 and sounds great. Night Ranger!!! Yess. Dawn Patrol and Midnight Madness PLEASE!!!

Leo Lyons likes this.
  6. tinnox

tinnox Senior Member

Natvecal. likes this.
  7. PJayBe

PJayBe Forum Resident

Sounds okay to my gig-blasted ears, and the bonus track is tasty too, not heard t since I lost the single ages back.........

Leo Lyons likes this.
  8. Natvecal.

Natvecal. JUST A LOW- FI GUY WHO LOVES A GREAT MASTERING Thread Starter

Agree!:righton: Just curious about these RMs.Originally, I had the S/T & VH on cassette when first released(Saw Badlands for the VH Tour and it was an incredible show! Encore song-War Pigs! Jeff Martin is a great drummer he used to sing for Racer X .Who knew he could drum like that?)By the mid '90s saw the old Atlantic CDs of both for real cheap and got them.Not knowing those would be OOP soon(if not already) and hard to find!At the time (pre-Internet days that is).

9. Leo Lyons

Leo Lyons New Member

Does anyone know if they are actually remixing from the 24 track studio tapes or are they just compressing and eq the left/right mixdown masters?

10. Curveboy

Curveboy Forum Resident

I don't think they are doing any remixing, just remastering from the 2 track mixdown.

Natvecal. and Leo Lyons like this.
  11. PTgraphics

PTgraphics Senior Member

I just ordered the I - Ten Taking a Cold Look CD that Rock Candy did. Thought it was the Sony reissue that I ordered though. Hoping it doest sound terrible.

12. carlwm

carlwm Forum Resident

It sounds fine, to my ears. Good songs too.

13. gutter b

gutter b Forum Resident

I have the White Sister s/t and Icon - Night of the Crime. Both great albums. Sound good, but I don't have originals to compare.

carlwm and Queezma like this.
  14. Queezma

Queezma Forum Resident

I have been on the fence with getting Icon for a few years. I should just pull the trigger as I originally had it on cassette and love it.

Weirwolfe and carlwm like this.
  15. DentonChris

DentonChris Well-Known Member

It's disappointing to read that the King Kobra reissues from Rock Candy aren't good. I've read elsewhere that the Axe Killer version of Ready to Strike is the best option for that album as far as a CD version goes. Can anyone shed any light on this?

16. carlwm

carlwm Forum Resident

Haven't found anything wrong with my copy of Thrill Of a Lifetime.

Sounds entirely roadworthy to me.

17. Curveboy

Curveboy Forum Resident

The RC versions of King Kobra are not good. I don't have the Axe Killer but I can tell you everything I do have from that label is a disaster.

18. DentonChris

Thanks for the heads up regarding the Axe Killer stuff Curveboy.

19. DentonChris

Has anyone picked up RC’s recent reissue of TKO’s In Your Face? I don’t think I’ve seen any comments on that one yet.

20. lenny nero

lenny nero down by the ruined bridge

I picked up the first Coney Hatch and the Sea Hags disc as well. Coney Hatch was done by Astley.

21. Queezma

Queezma Forum Resident

I didn’t find Ready To Strike too bad. That being said I don’t have an OG Pressing to compare it to. Worst sounding RC version that I own is Armored Saint-March Of The Saint. I didn’t know what ear fatigue meant until I heard that.

22. DentonChris

I think the RC version of Coney Hatch’s debut is really good, but it’s the first version of that album I’ve ever owned, so I don’t have anything to compare it with. On the other hand, I was kind of disappointed with the quality of the RC issue of Helix’s Long Way to Heaven. I love that album, but I feel like my original cassette of that record sounded better. It definitely seems to be hit or miss with RC’s releases, even though their packaging is pretty top notch and they release things that are hard to find otherwise.

Curveboy and Queezma like this.
  23. Paul King

Paul King Spy In The Wires

I only have:

Fiona
    - "Beyond The Pale"

and

Mr. Mister
    - "Welcome To The Real World"

I like them. The Rock Candy version of Fiona's cd, I think, sounds better than the Wounded Bird label version.

Queezma likes this.
  24. DentonChris

I would definitely recommend the RC version of Icon - Night of the Crime. It sounds great to me.

Queezma likes this.
  25. Queezma

Queezma Forum Resident

Actually you are right!!!! Long Way To Heaven is TERRIBLE!!!! Brickwalled to the max and very distorted. I am happy with both Coney Hatch. I have approx 75 RC titles and there are definitely some that I am disappointed with or some that I feel provide no improvement to the original pressings. The titles remastered by Andy Pearce seem to be the ones I favour. I really do love the liner notes though.

DentonChris likes this.