Rod Stewart - Da Ya Think I’m Sexy? What do you think of it?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Bobby Morrow, May 2, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bobby Morrow

Bobby Morrow Senior Member Thread Starter

Undoubtedly one of Rod’s biggest and best known hits, Da Ya Think I’m Sexy? was up there with great pop singles by ABBA and the Bee Gees in 1978. However, Rod fans who got a bit sniffy when he released the Atlantic Crossing album in 1975, would no doubt be appalled when he put out his Blondes Have More Fun LP (DYTIS was the lead single) three years later.:)

Though I wasn’t keen on Rod’s image at the time, I do think DYTIS is a great pop/disco song. Head and shoulders above the rest of the material on the rather disappointing Blondes Have More Fun album. Even though I must have heard it hundreds of times, I still love catching it on the radio. It always makes me smile.

But what do you think of it? Were you so struck with horror when you heard it that you immediately burned your copy of Every Picture Tells A Story? Or did you love it and seek out a pair of the spandex trousers Rod was squeezing himself into at the time? Perhaps somewhere in between?! Watch the video. It’s hilarious!

McLover, Rubberpigg, bob60 and 5 others like this.
  2. Strat-Mangler

Strat-Mangler Personal Survival Daily Record-Breaker

Never watched anything related to it. Love it! Good performance by RS, love the string arrangement, and that driving bass.

progmanjum likes this.
  3. elborak

elborak Forum Resident

The cover version was better.

4. Bobby Morrow

Wikipedia had this to say:

"Da Ya Think I'm Sexy?" is a song by British singer Rod Stewart from his 1978 album Blondes Have More Fun. It was written by Stewart, Carmine Appice and Duane Hitchings, though it incorporates the melody from the song "Taj Mahal" by Jorge Ben Jor and the string arrangement from the song "Put Something Down On It" by Bobby Womack.

The song featured on Stewart's album Blondes Have More Fun, and was released as a single in November 1978. It spent one week at the top of the British charts in December 1978 and four weeks at the top of the US BillboardHot 100 in February 1979. Billboard ranked it number four on its Top Singles of 1979 year-end chart. It also topped the charts in Australia for two weeks.

Royalties from the song were donated to the United Nations Children's Fund (UNICEF) and Stewart performed the song at the Music for UNICEF Concertat the United Nations General Assembly in January 1979.

"Da Ya Think I'm Sexy"
    [​IMG]
    Single by Rod Stewart
    from the album Blondes Have More Fun
    B-side

• "Dirty Weekend" (UK)
    • "Scarred and Scared" (US)
    Released 10 November 1978
    Format
    The song was criticised by many in the rock press as a betrayal of Stewart's blues-oriented rock roots, due to its disco-like arrangement, but Stewart and others were quick to point out that other widely respected artists, such as Paul McCartney and the Rolling Stones, had also released disco-flavoured songs. However, the song has since experienced some retrospective acclaim as Rolling Stone placed the song at #308 in its list of the 500 Greatest Songs of All Time.

bob60, Grant and mark winstanley like this.
  5. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

Rod having fun and selling tons of records while at it. I don't mind hearing it every now and then. At least it's not boring!

Tebbiebear, bob60, bluesky and 3 others like this.
  6. Izozeles

Izozeles Pushing my limits

A fantastic 12”

7. MrSka57

MrSka57 Forum Resident

Carbon copy of 'Miss You.'

8. vamborules

vamborules Forum Resident

I like it a lot.

9. Tom Daniels

Tom Daniels Forum Resident

Let’s stick to the song, and not Rod’s private life.

10. c-eling

c-eling Dinner's In The Microwave Sweety

Without it we wouldn't of got a kick-ass Revco cover of it :laugh:

smokeverbs, numer9, Hammerpeg and 2 others like this.
  11. John Fell

John Fell Forum Survivor

Not sexy. :shake: I prefer his work with the Faces and Jeff Beck.

Comet01, BrentB, conjotter and 9 others like this.
  12. mBen989

mBen989 Senior Member

A gloriously silly dance-rock tune that's one of Rod's definitive tunes.

13. illwind64

illwind64 Forum Resident

Always a great song. I remember people hating it, but I think they just didn't like disco.

Last edited: May 2, 2019
    Rhett, Jmac1979, Grant and 1 other person like this.
  14. Mooserfan

Mooserfan Forum Resident

It was both inane and opportunistic then and now it’s just a sad artifact of the demise of a great artist.

Davido, gotblues, keyse1 and 3 others like this.
  15. Rfreeman

Rfreeman Senior Member

Always enjoyed it, and may enjoy the parody y Steve Dahl & The Insane Coho Lips even a little more. I have had both 45s since the 70s.

16. mark winstanley

mark winstanley Certified dinosaur, who likes physical product

I always liked it.
    I'm not sure why so many folks get caught up on Rod Stewart 1970, being so different to Rod Stewart 1978.
    This is a good fun song off a pretty good album. It isn't Faces or Jeff Beck Group (and I have and enjoy those too) but it would be pretty boring if it was a repeat of the 68-72 period anyway

bob60, AudioEnz and Vorlon like this.
  17. Helter Skelter

Helter Skelter Forum Resident

It's cheesy, but a guilty pleasure.
    I do think the people who claim he "sold out" with this tune are way off base though. The idea that you have to play one type of music, with one set of musicians until you die is just silly. Rod moving into Disco wasn't exactly a huge stretch, the same way it wasn't when the Stones did it either.

Rhett, bob60 and Grant like this.
  18. coniferouspine

coniferouspine Forum Resident

I liked it okay as a little kid, I was very young when it came out, but when I finally heard Jorge Ben's "Taj Mahal" in my early 20s, I liked Rod's song a LOT less and my interest in it evaporated.

frightwigwam likes this.
  19. Bobby Morrow

Apparently, even by his own admission, Rod wasn’t especially blessed in that area.

bob60, Grant and illwind64 like this.
  20. Aldo

Aldo Well-Known Member

One of those guys who just sucked in the 70's. I like to think punk was a reaction to Rod Stewart.

21. mark winstanley

mark winstanley Certified dinosaur, who likes physical product

Faces went until 75, so I think your brush stroke may be a little wide there lol

Comet01, micktanner and RogerB like this.
  22. Deek57

Deek57 Forum Resident

Low grade Rod, just like everything after Never a Dull Moment.

23. PRW94

PRW94 Forum Resident

Makes your a** move. I don’t turn it off if it comes on the radio. I like other Rod songs better.

24. lavalamp3

lavalamp3 Forum Resident

Well, for a start, I think it borrowed rather largely from Jorge Ben's 'Taj mahal'!

(Chorus at around 0.53)

25. Bobby Morrow

This is the first poll I’ve done like this the song in question is both equally liked and disliked..

gotblues and Jarleboy like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.