Rod Stewart - Da Ya Think I’m Sexy? What do you think of it?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Bobby Morrow, May 2, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. William Abely

William Abely Forum Resident

The song is similar in theme to “Stay With Me”. The song is not 1/100th as good as “Stay With Me”.

The synth makes it sound like a Blondie Song - generic Disco/Pop.

The great fusions of Disco/Rock/Pop by Rock/Pop acts occurred when the artist(s) adapted disco to their style (think “Miss You” or any number of Bee Gees songs). The failures (artistic for DYTIS) occurred when the artist(s) adapted their styles to disco (DYTIS and the worst example - Beach Boys remake of “Here Comes the Night”).

Even with the Disco beat “Miss You” is unmistakably a Stones song through and through. DYTIS could have been performed by anybody.

2. vamborules

vamborules Forum Resident

I don't know about that. First of all Blondie completely rules. And there's some great playing on this. Listen to Phil Chen's bass line. Hardly generic

bob60 and rs4951 like this.
  3. bob_32_116

bob_32_116 Forum Flaneur

Like "Careless Whisper", the topic of another thread, this song is a quite decent tune that's made great by the instrumental parts. I try not to listen too hard to the lyrics. Yes Rod, we all know you're a red-blooded heterosexual male, we get it. I recall thinking that "Passion", which came a few years later, was a song in a similar style, but better, and the lyrics were a bit less cringey.

I could not give a toss about whether he "betrayed his blues roots". Since when is it a rule that having recorded in one style, an artist is forbidden to record in another? As long as the music's good is all that matters, and I think this song is better than most of the disco thqat was around at the time.

I'm actually not a fan of Rod as an album artist. I like some of his self-penned songs, but he seemed to like peppering his albums with covers of soul numbers, eg "It's Not the Spotlight", which do nothing for me.

4. sotosound

sotosound Forum Resident

Not sure that I'd group DYTIS with "Here Comes The Night". Musically, they're quite different.

"Here Comes The Night" is an overt and straightforward disco remake of an old song. The harmonies are great but IMHO it has aged badly. If I were still a disco DJ you wouldn't find me playing it as an oldie.

However, you'd definitely find me playing DYTIS and filling the floor with it. It's just a fabulously infectious and very danceable track that really rocks.The usage of a couple of disco elements is very subtle and hasn't caused the track to age as far as I'm concerned.

Nor do I see DYTIS as an artistic failure. Quite the opposite if sales are any indicator.

daveidmarx likes this.
  5. hi_watt

hi_watt The Road Warrior

I wish there was a LOVE option. This song makes me want to dance and personifies the excess of disco and the era in which I was born. Thank you Sir Rod.

6. Hardy Melville

Hardy Melville Forum Resident

I hate everything about this song.

7. Bobby Morrow

Bobby Morrow Senior Member Thread Starter

Last time I included the ‘love’ option, some people said, “I don’t love it, I just like it”.:)

You can’t win.:D

I’ll just assume that in your case, like means love.

:)

hi_watt likes this.
  8. aroney

aroney Who really gives a...?

Not a fan - and it was around this time that I first heard the urban legend about Rod, uh, "servicing" his band...:(

9. bob_32_116

bob_32_116 Forum Flaneur

Since people seem to be comparing the song with "Miss You", I'll add my opinion, which is that the Stones achieved something I would not have thought possible - making a disco song that plods along instead of rocking. If this is disco, it's the sort of disco that's suitable for that time of night - or early morning - when the club is nearly about to close, most of the patrons are wishing they were already home in bed without having to get there, but they keep shuffling their feet because - weel, because all the other patrons are. OK, so I;m not a Stones fan, but I do like the occasional Stones song. This is not one of them.

Bobby Morrow likes this.
  10. hi_watt

hi_watt The Road Warrior

Absolutely!

Bobby Morrow likes this.
  11. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

His lower extremities were the last thing I would look
    Many of us have heard variations of that, but I heard the basic one a year earlier. Before then, the same one was told about Elton John.

12. Zeppelin fan

Zeppelin fan Forum Resident

13. Wild Horse

Wild Horse Forum Resident

It's not early 70s Rod Stewart, but it's a good song with a good groove.

The "Do ya think I'm sexy" thing was tongue in cheek, I would imagine.

Except for the Stones' "Miss You", Rod did the best 'rocker does disco' song.

bob60 likes this.
  14. WolfSpear

WolfSpear Music Enthusiast

The best answer is “you had to be there”.

It would be okay if I didn’t hear this song again :agree:

15. sw61139

sw61139 Well-Known Member

16. Grant

Here's the thing about the song: Rod never sings "DA Ya think I'm Sexy" anywhere in the song.

jon9091 likes this.
  17. jon9091

jon9091 Master Of Reality

I was just going to say the same thing. That’s been bugging me for 40 years.

18. CharlesS

CharlesS Forum Resident

Piece of garbage

19. Bobby Morrow

Bobby Morrow Senior Member Thread Starter

Now I feel weird for mentioning it.

:D

Grant likes this.
  20. readingm

readingm Senior Member

I like disco just fine. This, not so much.

illwind64 likes this.
  21. libertycaps

libertycaps Forum Resident

Fun track. Happy day when i found a clean original copy of the 12" Disco Single in the GW bins a few years ago. If you can't lighten up and have a laugh/shake yr booty when this comes on......

22. bob60

bob60 Forum Resident

We need more members like this in these forums....

rs4951 and Grant like this.
  23. the pope ondine

the pope ondine Forum Resident

oh, he knew....! I like it....I think tonights the night and aint love a bitch are even better late 70's rod, but this was as sexy as it wants to be and I like it

Grant likes this.
  24. Thomas Casagranda

Thomas Casagranda Forum Resident

I compare it to Miss You by The Rolling Stones: Miss You has a disco beat, but it's still bluesy enough to be identified and liked as a Stones track. Do Ya Think I'm Sexy is awful, and Rod should be ashamed of himself that he wrote and recorded it. I much prefer the Kenny Everett pastiche of it, on youtube.

25. Grant

It doesn't bother me, but many people act like he sings the title. He never does. That's why I pointed out that the song isn't about him or vanity. It's about two characters that personify the disco pickup scene.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.