Rod Stewart - Da Ya Think I’m Sexy? What do you think of it?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Bobby Morrow, May 2, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. groovelocked

groovelocked Forum Resident

Always loved it. Could listen to it all day.

Along with Passion, and Jealous from Young Turks

Rubberpigg likes this.
  2. daveidmarx

daveidmarx Forem Residunt

Absolutely love this song, and especially the extended version, which I finally tracked down on vinyl several years ago. I was eight when this was released and my mom was a huge fan, so Blondes Have More Fun got tons of play in my house when I was a kid (as did A Night On The Town). Loved it then, love it now. Being so young, I had no reason to dislike disco as it was among the first "new" music I can remember hearing. Here's a needledrop I'd made of the 12" version (which I have never seen released officially on CD):

Rod Stewart - Da Ya Think I'm Sexy [extended version]

3. Bobby Morrow

Bobby Morrow Senior Member Thread Starter

I think it was the best song of this kind from Rod. Passion just sounded like a rewrite of DYTIS but with the majority of the hooks removed. Later things like Tonight I’m Yours and Infatuation were a bit better.

Last edited: May 7, 2019
    Jarleboy likes this.
  4. rs4951

rs4951 Forum Resident

I really like Passion, particularly the extended and early versions, and live too. Wouldn't compare it to DYTIS really, it's a grittier track ( although not as gritty as it could have been according to Gary Grainger.)

5. rs4951

rs4951 Forum Resident

Love Jealous...it was short lived but the harder sound when Carmine brought Danny Johnson in was great. The live stuff from Foolish behaviour especially was better than the studio versions imo.

groovelocked likes this.
  6. lv70smusic

lv70smusic Senior Member

AFAIK, the 12" mix is still missing on CD, as are quite a few 12" mixes of pop/disco hits from that era.

The 12" mix of Da Ya Think I'm Sexy is the only version of this song I like. The added percussion throughout and break down towards the end enhance the song considerably.

Jarleboy and daveidmarx like this.
  7. arthurprecarious

arthurprecarious Forum Resident

Yes it’s catchy and it’s clear why it was a massive hit but for me this was when the rot really started. Terrible.

8. Chris Schoen

Chris Schoen Rock 'n Roll !!!

He sounds like Macy Gray.

9. thxphotog

thxphotog Camera Nerd Cycling Nerd Guitar Nerd Dietary Nerd

The scene in the movie Star 80 where the camera is fixed on the white Trans Am as it drives down the BLVD late at night, street lights reflecting off of the firebird logo emblazoned across the hood while Do ya Think I'm Sexy blasts through the car speakers. No other song could capture that place in time better.

10. thxphotog

thxphotog Camera Nerd Cycling Nerd Guitar Nerd Dietary Nerd

She sounds like him.

Chris Schoen likes this.
  11. daveidmarx

daveidmarx Forem Residunt

Yes, it's catchy and terrible... :sigh::help:

arthurprecarious likes this.
  12. Chris Schoen

Chris Schoen Rock 'n Roll !!!

Ya, and they both sound like Daffy Duck. :laugh::sigh:

13. Sneaky Pete

Sneaky Pete Flat the 5 and That’s No Jive

Pretty dismal tune in my estimation. I understand it has a campy, tongue in cheek flavor but that is not enough to redeem it.

It did sell a gazillion copies, so at least that’s something.

14. Terrapin Station

Terrapin Station Master Guns

15. Terrapin Station

Terrapin Station Master Guns

We should have a thread on what we think of others' opinions in general.

Jarleboy likes this.
  16. Bobby Morrow

It’d be shut down in seconds!

Last edited: May 7, 2019
    Terrapin Station and Jarleboy like this.
  17. Blame The Machines

Blame The Machines Forum Resident

Personally I absolutely detest this track.

I know it is a slight mickey-take spoof on disco and the whole 'cocaine lounge lizards' in Studio 54, etc. But for me this crosses the line between inspired parody (i.e. Kiss "I Was Made For Lovin' You") & just being plain awful.

The sad fact is it being such a massive global hit helped usher in the whole Disco Sucks backlash. So in effect killed Chic & the Bee Gees chart careers, who made vastly superior Disco R&B records overnight, so they had to move behind the scenes to survive commercially (as well as putting a significant hole in Donna Summer's career).

18. MHS3

MHS3 "Long Live Rock'n'Roll"

It may have been the biggest hit but there were better songs on the album Dirty Weekend,Ain't Love A Bitch,Scarred And Scared ,Last Summer,Blondes Have Fun.

JamieC likes this.
  19. Tim S

Tim S Senior Member

I don't think either record was meant as parody at all - they both wanted a top 40 radio hit.

lv70smusic likes this.
  20. bob60

bob60 Forum Resident

This post is wrong on so many levels I really wouldn’t know were to start.....

21. JamieC

JamieC Senior Member

God, I HATED it! I had the album because it was Rod, but this disco.... thing was the worst thing on it. Some good stuff elsewhere but not this this thing. And it has not aged well.

22. seacliffe301

seacliffe301 Forum Resident

I was a huge Rod fan from Faces through the initial solo years, attending shows and buying the records. In ‘78 I saw the tour for this album. His Faces offerings were reduced to a medley. “Do Ya Think...” he played twice. Once during the set, then again as an encore. I was done with Rod Stewart that night and have never looked back. Oh BTW, I don’t like this song.

JamieC likes this.
  23. I kind of like the drumming on the track, but it's just so embarrassing lyrically. Of course, the melodic hook is catchy, but it's also stolen directly from Jorge Ben. Nice that royalties from that have helped stabilize Ben's remarkable career.

Jarleboy likes this.
  24. Bobby Morrow

I’ve actually enjoyed this thread. Far more interesting than the ones that are overwhelmingly in favour of the song in the poll.:D

We’ll see how the next one goes.:)

Jarleboy likes this.
  25. mikaal

mikaal Sociopathic Nice Guy

Like the 12" better than the regular cut.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.