Roger Glover’s Firing From Deep Purple

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Siegmund, Jan 3, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Anno

Anno Forum Resident

zphage, PDK and Brian Doherty like this.
  2. Anno

Anno Forum Resident

aah, the ever reliable Wikipedia...

3. Murph

Murph Enjoy every sandwich!

I guess that’s the difference between rock groups and rock bands.

jon9091 likes this.
  4. Black Elk

Black Elk Music Lover

Glover or Paice could edit the entry if they think it is wrong.

5. dkmonroe

dkmonroe A completely self-taught idiot

Eh, they're all business arrangements in the end. You could not have asked for a tighter bunch of friends than Alice Cooper (the original BAND called Alice Cooper), and look what happened to them. Three of them went to the same high school, all of them lived in the same town, and they all lived in the same houses for most of their career. And yet, Alice dumped them for a solo career, and only Dennis and Neal have maintained anything like a working relationship over the years.

D.B., PDK, jon9091 and 1 other person like this.
  6. Brian Doherty

Brian Doherty Forum Resident

While all the above is kind of true, one thing that leaps out at me when reading lots of rock bios is how MUCH trouble many bands go thru to keep some semblance of the band together....KISS is a big example, and even Nick Mason's own memoir made me think either something like affection (or maybe just desire to avoid lawsuits) allowed him to remain "drummer for Pink Floyd" til the end. I am impressed at HOW sentimental the machines of rock biz can be at times. Even when bands do fall apart or people get booted, like CCR for one example, it's amazing the breaking apart didn't happen SOONER.

D.B., evarlam and dkmonroe like this.
  7. dkmonroe

This is true! There can seem to be an almost superstitious resistance to the idea of dropping a band member. It's always a big risk. If a band reached great success with a particular lineup, you just don't know whether changing even one of the members might bring the whole thing down in flames. And bands that stick it out with the same lineup do often seem to do very well. I have often thought that one of the problems with Deep Purple maintaining success, especially in the U.S., was the ever-shifting lineup. Rainbow suffered from this too, I think.

D.B., PDK, evarlam and 1 other person like this.
  8. dkmonroe

The only "problem" with Jon Lord's sound, if you can call it that, is that it's just too hard for mortals to replicate. Lord had to tote around this big customized Hammond organ and plug it into stacks of speakers and it seems to me that it was just a very painstaking, old school way of doing things. I think that Lord's dedication to the Hammond actually caused him terrible back problems. Most keyboard players today, who can get a facsimile of whatever sound they want out of a digital keyboard, won't bother with Lord's method of getting an authentic heavy rock keyboard sound, heavy as any guitar player.

9. Brian Doherty

Amen! And while it seems like the hipster ironic moustache trucker cap brigade MIGHT have been expected to retro-hip that sound, I never noticed it happening---likely as you say, can't emulate it with a cheap synth too well!

(I just listened to INFINITE with attention for first time since week it came out, btw, and while I am not a gearhead I thought Airey was doing some very interesting and prominent stuff, really had made the band keyb based again in a great way at least for that lp....)

D.B. and dkmonroe like this.
  10. Anno

Anno Forum Resident

And anybody else really, that’s my point.

11. dkmonroe

Don Airey is one of very, very few people who could step into Lord's shoes. I saw Purple live shortly after he joined on a bill with Dio and it was incredible how very different the keyboard sounds were. Dio's keyboard player was barely audible in the mix, he sounded thin and overpowered by the guitar, but Don Airey was great brilliant washes of color in the air. He was fantastic.

D.B. and Brian Doherty like this.
  12. Brian Doherty

INFINITE sounds to me, no idea if it's true, that the "song" is all Airey and Paice, with all the other parts seeming like nearly overdubbed afterthoughts. Again don't know if that's really how it was made, and it ain't bad....just makes Airey MVP for sure on the record.

D.B. and dkmonroe like this.
  13. zen

zen Senior Member

Thankfully this centuries is not over. There is still time for Lord's organ to rise again. :D

Anyway, I'm reminded me of those free CD samplers from Classic Rock Magazine. Giving us old rockers a chance to discover newly signed, "cool" bands.
    But the problem I had with the majority of these newly signed bands, was that they generally sounded so, so unoriginal and lacked any lyrics with wit, sarcasm, humor
    and a decent melody was always hard to find. I'm guessing these newly signed bands were more posers, than composers. Since rock music is undeniably long in the tooth...
    perhaps all the positions have been filled, including Purple's Hammond B-3 sound. I'm guessing the only reason the electric guitar lives on (though not in top 40 pop),
    is that it's light weight (inc. the amp now) and much easier for rock posers to look cool.

Brian Doherty likes this.
  14. zen

zen Senior Member

You didn't watch the documentary?

15. Brian Doherty

Didn't know there was one! Available online? Or just part of some deluxe package? I bought the cd as digitracks alas...

zen likes this.
  16. zen

zen Senior Member

Brian Doherty likes this.
  17. Wombat Reynolds

Wombat Reynolds Jimmy Page stole all my best riffs.

I think what it says about them, is that they (at the time) thought there was no Deep Purple without Blackmore. So they agreed to his terms.

gd0 and dkmonroe like this.
  18. curbach

curbach Some guy on the internet

I’m sure they’ll get right on that :laugh:

zen likes this.
  19. Black Elk

Black Elk Music Lover

They have nothing better to do at the moment! :D

curbach likes this.
  20. Anno

Anno Forum Resident

I think it might still be on BBC IPlayer?

21. Madrid

Madrid Forum Resident

Interestingly Roger Glover has gone from being fired in 1973 after his four year stint in Deep Purple to arguably being the main stalwart in the band now from the reunion in 1984 (alongside Ian Paice but with more input into the band's musical direction). He's been there through the comings and goings of Ritchie Blackmore and Ian Gillan, seemingly able to co-exist with both of them.

Also, with the band's 21st album coming out he will have appeared on the same amount of albums (15) as founder and original leader Jon Lord, second only to the ever-present Ian Paice and in front of Gillan (14) and Blackmore (13).

SonicBob, D.B. and zen like this.
  22. Madrid

Madrid Forum Resident

Such a cool guy, and not a bad singer either!

D.B. likes this.
  23. HeavyDistortion

HeavyDistortion Senior Member

I think you mean that Rod Evans was in Captain Beyond, where his vocals excelled. As far as I know, he was never in Atomic Rooster.

Ed Hurdle
    HeavyDistortion

DPM and evarlam like this.
  24. dlokazip

dlokazip Forum Transient

This is why Jon Lord is my favorite keyboard player.

Even without the unique sound, his playing style was absolutely exquisite. But, he said it himself: Wiring the Hammond through a Marshall "unleashed the beast". There is no way that I know of to recreate that digitally. It is painfully easy to recreate Ray Manzarek's sound. It's almost impossible to recreate Jon Lord's.

Yes, it did cause him physical pain to perform the way he did, but the evidence presented in various live videos suggests that he enjoyed every minute of it.

PDK, Rockin' Robby, Madrid and 4 others like this.
  25. evarlam

evarlam Forum Resident

Yes thank you for the correction!!!

HeavyDistortion likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.