Roger Waters as a bassist- underappreciated?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by MitchLT, Aug 8, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rfreeman

Rfreeman Senior Member

And the bassist doing our gig tomorrow used to play in "Loonies on the Grass" doing all Floyd :)

I dont mind the criticism (though I welcome the defense) I put myself out there with strong opinions and information about myself and it comes with the territory.

My 11yo daughter was at a TV production camp this week and, when asked what role she wanted to have in TV productions she said "talent" and got the response "because you clearly have so much talent." She was hurt by it, but my message to her was "it just shows you have gotten beyond talking to folks in the 'everybody gets a medal' environment to talking to folks who seriously evaluate talent for consideration, and if your goal is to put yourself out there for consideration as talent you need to expect to encounter folks trying to belittle you as not everyone will applaud you, and if you aren't prepared to deal with that, you should probably set a goal other than being 'talent' "

Last edited: Aug 11, 2018
    AppleCorp3 and Efus like this.
  2. ostrichfarm

ostrichfarm Forum Resident

Not there, but shortly thereafter, from the Bbmaj7 chord to the A7 chord. The bass plays a descending triplet run, though now that I listen to it, it's not quite as chops-y as I remembered (I thought it was two triplets in a row, but the first is clearly just swung eighths). I don't recall hearing that fill in live performances, though it's entirely possible I've overlooked one!

penguinzzz likes this.
  3. powerq

powerq Forum Resident

For all the players I've seen live or on TV, nobody enjoys playing bass more then Roger Waters. He has such exuberance, sometimes almost child-like. (Like Pete Rose was in baseball.) Roger Waters loves to lay down the thunder.

4. MitchLT

MitchLT Two for the show Thread Starter

Great playing from them all here:

Plus- enhanced by French dancers!

TheKevster and GoodKitty like this.
  5. GoodKitty

GoodKitty FloydM

:righton: Sept.6 : Happy Birthday, Roger Waters .... 75 years old today. :cheers:

TheKevster, Sean, xfilian and 2 others like this.
  6. GoodKitty

GoodKitty FloydM

There was no "Echoes" on the '77 tour.... but Snowy was on that tour and yes he did play some bass.

Fretless bass on "Echoes" ? news to me.

I say Yes , Waters has generally been under-appreciated as a bassist... but in the long run it seems that playing bass wasn't so important to him, and that's kinda too bad.

Last edited: Sep 11, 2018
    Billy Infinity and TheKevster like this.
  7. GoodKitty

GoodKitty FloydM

You mean strictly in the context of Pink Floyd, not his solo tours, right ? That hadn't occurred to me, and that is an interesting bit of trivia.

Gilmour played some bass on The Final Cut ? Surely that's possible, but I'd never thought of that before and am wondering if that's an assumption or is there some evidence...
    Andy Bown plays some keyboards on TFC (as well as on the Pros And Cons album) but he was also bassist in the WALL surrogate band 80-81 .... so perhaps he has some uncredited bass on TFC ?

I'm curious for more detail on that ...

8. ohnothimagen

ohnothimagen "Live music is better!"

I have to wonder if that black Precision bass Waters has been playing since at least the Animals tour is the only bass he owns:laugh:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

hi_watt, Sean, mando_dan and 3 others like this.
  9. GoodKitty

GoodKitty FloydM

Sept.6 ..... another year gone by ..... and Rog is 76 today ......:cheers:

MortSahlFan, xfilian and Sean like this.
  10. misterdecibel

misterdecibel Bulbous Also Tapered

How do you rate Roger Waters' gong playing?

[​IMG]

Tony-A, xfilian, CrombyMouse and 4 others like this.
  11. Ghost of Ziggy

Ghost of Ziggy Forum Resident

I like Roger Waters’s bass playing, and as an artist, but he alienates me when he says he doesn’t hear anything special in Gilmour’s guitar playing.

12. xfilian

xfilian Forum Resident

Has he actually ever said that?

TheKevster and MortSahlFan like this.
  13. Ghost of Ziggy

It was something along those lines, and I’ve always been a Roger fan, it thought it was a bit much.

14. MortSahlFan

MortSahlFan Forum Resident

I've read every interview, and Roger has ALWAYS said what a great guitarist Gilmour was, even when they weren't talking.

mando_dan, GoodKitty, xfilian and 3 others like this.
  15. bettsaj

bettsaj “I'm in competition with myself and I'm losing.”

Gilmour

16. Ghost of Ziggy

I found this from Nick Mason this year;

"It's a really odd thing in my opinion. But I think the problem is Roger doesn't really respect David.

"He feels that writing is everything, and that guitar playing and the singing are something that, I won't say anyone can do, but that everything should be judged on the writing rather than the playing."

uzn007 likes this.
  17. bettsaj

His playing on Live At Pompeii was brilliant... The funky part in Echoes was great. Also listen to the rest of Echoes, the verses... His playing is all over the place (in a good way) he doesn't really play the same thing twice. The bass player in my Floyd tribute has told me he's having to simplify the bass in that song, as he can't remember all the little phrases etc.

18. bettsaj

He still plays the same bass he had for the Animals tour

Ghost of Ziggy likes this.
  19. Rne

Rne weltschmerz

I would say he's a hard-working bass player. Not naturally gifted, but he gave his best, and he could deliver some excellent bass parts ("Have A Cigar" comes to my mind right now). David was probably a better bassist, though.

MortSahlFan likes this.
  20. ShockControl

ShockControl Bon Vivant and Raconteur!

He is certainly a competent bass player on the excellent Syd Barrett solo album The Piper at the Gates of Dawn. I'm not sure what he did beyond that.

21. Zapruder

Zapruder Just zis guy, you know?

Those are definitely two different basses. Check the headstock.

GowG and bettsaj like this.
  22. Syscrusher

Syscrusher Forum Resident

I think he comes up with better bass lines than almost all other rock musicians. And he's a better writer than almost all other bass players. Therefore I believe that he is the "most valuable bass player" in rock music. I can only think of one person that could arguably be more valuable to their band.

xfilian and MortSahlFan like this.
  23. bettsaj

Video of Roger Waters rig run down... Colin Lyon states that the bass he uses now is the one he's used since the late 70's. he might have changed the neck, hence the different headstock decals.... Gilmour has had about 3 or 4 different necks on his guitar.

24. xfilian

xfilian Forum Resident

I think Roger respects David as a guitar player. I don’t think he respects him as a songwriter. And I can understand and agree with that sentiment.

25. The_Windmill

The_Windmill Forum Resident

I don't.
    Because you can respect a songwriter even if he writes ****. Respect and critical judgement are two separate things.

MitchLT likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.