Roger Waters Says David Gilmour Rejected His 'Big Peace Plan' Offer:

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by David P. Hill, Oct 7, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RedRoseSpeedway

RedRoseSpeedway Music Lover

I’ll take Syd thanks!

Steve G and vivalapsych like this.
  2. supersquonk

supersquonk Forum Resident

I think I've heard Nick Mason say he'd like to tour with Floyd again. So 2 out of the 3 guys are up for it.

But it does seem like Gilmour is retired at this point. Maybe he'll get bored and surprise us.

3. tagomago

tagomago Original Wrapper

Waters didn't say a peace plan would include the band getting together

4. smoke

smoke Forum Resident

Any band on earth would be happy to have his writing talent. And when I saw him live not all that long ago, he could certainly play the bass like always. I know he mimed some of the vocals, but his vocals were always dodgy live, and he sound good on his last album..so...I think he could find a gig.

PDK likes this.
  5. Sytze

Sytze Senior Member

Why does Gilmour keep referring to Pink Floyd as "the pop group"? Third time I've read this coming from his mouth. I don't think any fan would call the band that.

6. GoodKitty

GoodKitty Floyd

just six months ago .....
    granted, he's not "playing", but .....

7. Eiricd

Eiricd Forum Resident

would be cool if Dave showed up, too. No fuzz, no announcement. But a nice bookend.

GoodKitty likes this.
  8. Sordel

Sordel Forum Resident

He guested at Richard Thompson's birthday concert at the Royal Albert Hall this month so maybe “retired” isn't the right word. He does, however, seem to be finished with Floyd (some might say that's overdue) so he really has little motivation to resolve the band psychodrama.

Compare the Gary Barlow/Robbie Williams ill-feeling. It was glossed over because Robbie's career took a dive and Gary's was riding high but they both had a motive for reuniting Take That. As soon as Robbie had sucked in enough oxygen from the reunion he went back to his solo career. But Gilmour has no reason at all to sign a peace treaty with Roger if he's done with the band ... and he could end up causing more trouble for himself if the band reforms and everyone's pressuring him to rejoin.

krock2009 likes this.
  9. bob_32_116

bob_32_116 Forum Flaneur

10. NunoBento

NunoBento Rock 'n' Roll Star

Of course, like everyone, I would love the boys to bury the hatchet and get back together, but I wonder what was this big peace plan that Roger envisioned. I can't help but read between the lines.

Firstly, note that (as with everything he does), Roger uses the prefix big peace plan. Which means that it would be somehting massive. Not just a get back together show, or shows, but something big.
    After a few lines he adds that there was a reason why he left Pink Floyd in 1985, he wanted to "get on with his work". Which to me means that he presented to David an idea for a brand new / big concept for the Floyd.
    Maybe hwe wanted to revive that abandoned concept album of a man and his granddaughter investigating why children are being killed in the world, as he told Rolling Stone a few years ago:

How Roger Waters Will Fight Trump With Upcoming Tour, Concept Album

Roger Waters Details War-Themed 'Radio Play' Project

Luisboa likes this.
  11. xfilian

xfilian Forum Resident

It does seem that these two are at loggerheads again, or at least David's feelings towards Roger are not exactly amicable. There was a time when Roger's updates were posted on the Pink Floyd social media page, Dave invited Roger to do a Palestinian charity gig and then repaid him by doing a Wall show. Its all a bit sad.

I have to agree with Dave though in that I am fed up with the whole Pink Floyd thing now. They are my favorite band of all time but the time has come to just let it die respectfully now. I am fed up with the brand name being used as a cash cow for record companies to profit by. They have not been a functioning creative unit for a long, long time and they left behind a legacy of unsurpassed work IMO. That will do for me.

12. Deek57

Deek57 Forum Resident

Waters crapped all over the songs he wrote, how's that ? I can't see/here it myself.

mando_dan and mark winstanley like this.
  13. HitAndRun

HitAndRun Forum Resident

As his most recent album shows,. he can certainly still write.

It seems that RW wants to continue touring, and DG doesn't. NM certainly does. I wonder if the 'big peace plan' would have likely resulted in RW and NM touring as PF with no DG. I'm not suggesting that was what the 'big peace plan' was, but that it would have been the likely eventual consequence.

I think that both DG's and RW's most recent solo albums are the best solo albums they've done. I think they're far from a spent creative force. If some miracle happened and suddenly they could and wanted to work together, I think the result would be fantastic. However, I fully understand that they want to do what they want to do, and they don't want to (Gilmour) and can't (Waters) work together.

I think you mis-read the post that you are replying to. To me, it appears to be saying that Waters cr*pp*d all over the post-Waters PF output, none of which was written by Waters.

Yep, I think that only RW and NM want to tour as Floyd, and Gilmour owns the name. There's nothing to stop RW and NM touring as 'The New Pink' or something if they want to.

I just wish that Floyd hadn't finished with 'Louder than Words' which I consider possibly the worst song on a PF album ever. Note that I like DG era Floyd and TER. But, not that song.

Last edited: Oct 8, 2019
    pinkchris1967, krock2009 and Zeki like this.
  14. Rufus McDufus

Rufus McDufus Forum Resident

Roger: Peace on?
    Dave: Peace off.

15. sunking101

sunking101 Forum Resident

Nobody needs a new, sub-standard Floyd album even from Gilmour alone. One last world tour with the surviving members would be great for the fans though. It just seems that for various reasons Gilmour doesn't fancy it.

16. Zack

Zack Senior Member

Dave: "Love to Rog, but unfortunately I auctioned off all my guitars."

17. BDC

BDC Forum Resident

I'd hate to see them get together just for the cash in. They have no need. I would tend to think there might be mutual business interests outside reuniting, in which Roger could advertise on the site, or even be part of it. I've never visited the site, and I don't like Waterless Floyd.

18. Say It Right

Say It Right Not for the Hearing Impaired

Same reaction. Shots hadn't been fired for years. Other than Roger wanting his movie advertised on the website, this isn't enough to celebrate Armistice Day just yet.

WithinYourReach and lightbulb like this.
  19. nicotinecaffeine

nicotinecaffeine Forum Resident

Peace plan. Joining Roger on his "Capitalist Pig" tours while charging a fortune per ticket. I say both join Saucerful Of Secrets for 500 person venues and only allow tickets purchased at the window.

Ringo Hendrix, cwd, krock2009 and 4 others like this.
  20. Say It Right

Just you wait. Sooner or later, the question will be posed if Animals or The Final Cut was really Rogers's first solo album.

coffeetime, O Don Piano and Zeki like this.
  21. Say It Right

Hasn't this been the case since the time of "Have a Cigar"?

Ringo Hendrix and Lee Davis like this.
  22. ModernDayWarrior

ModernDayWarrior Senior Member

LOL I can’t argue with that. Very true. Although I can’t complain because I saw all three shows for free but for someone who is paying, I can see it taking a beating on the wallet. Not that paying to see a reunified Floyd would save you any money anyway. Those prices would be astronomical I’m sure.

Efus likes this.
  23. ModernDayWarrior

ModernDayWarrior Senior Member

I was at this show. Really cool surprise seeing Roger coming out to play with Nick. I loved what Nick what doing and the angle he’s approached playing the pre Dark Side stuff.

MortSahlFan, GoodKitty and Efus like this.
  24. gregorya

gregorya I approve of this message

Careful with that hatchet Eugene.. ;)

25. HitAndRun

HitAndRun Forum Resident

Important note: not all of them.

andrewskyDE likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.