Roger Waters - This Is Not A Drill (Proposed Setlist?)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by CDS AudioFiles, Sep 18, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Johnny Feathers

Johnny Feathers Forum Resident

Anyone else noticing a LOT of empty seats for this tour? I've been occasionally glancing at Ticketmaster for the Chicago stop, and there seems to be plenty of seats still available. I'd be tempted to go, but I've seen his last three tours, he's not the most compelling musician when performing live, and I feel like I've seen most everything he could do, though I'm sure this might have a surprise or two. And the ticket prices kind of seal the deal.

As for his performance on the Late Show--fine, I guess. The visuals look like what he'll feature on the tour which....eh. The heavy-handed messaging gets tiresome. Sometimes you just want to enjoy the songs without reading a screed, ya know?

tightplatonic likes this.
  2. fRa

fRa Conny Olivetti - Sound Alchemist

Not the same as creative genius, but its interesting to read that David
    regarded him as the leader and the boss, during the time of the Wall.
    "
    With Waters having been painted as the domineering force in Pink Floyd, his assertion that his relationship with David Gilmour had “fallen to pieces during the making of Wish You Were Here” did not come as much of a surprise. What did, however, was how Gilmour viewed the scenario.

“I can categorically tell you that’s untrue. Roger wanted to be the leader and the boss and in charge, which he, de facto, was,” Gilmour said."
    Source: Pink Floyd's The Wall: The secrets behind 1980's best-selling album

FlorentinePogen and J_D__ like this.
  3. tightplatonic

tightplatonic Forum Resident

interesting..I'm going to the Toronto show this week and I see a lot of tickets still available for sale, but they are the expensive ones!

May I ask what time he went on at approximately? Our ticket says 8pm but that's unusually early, I'm guessing there's no opener but will start at 9?

4. thiagofelipef

thiagofelipef New Member

5. AlphabetMan

AlphabetMan Senior Member

As a massive fan of his solo work, it is such a miserable shame to not see anything off Pros & Cons and only one thing from Amused To Death (Bravery...), on the setlist.
    But from what I've seen of the live show, it looks impressive and I love how he isn't flinching at all about the serious issue with Palestine.

FlorentinePogen and englishbob like this.
  6. englishbob

englishbob has left the SH Forums...19/05/2023

Once he's gone he's gone. Who else will be doing these sorts of shows? ABBA are all still alive but are doing 3D avatar shows.

I'd go and see Roger every time even if it's just The Wall again. When I watched it I thought this show is crazy and mad, and would never see the likes of it again

vertigone and Billy Infinity like this.
  7. sharedon

sharedon Forum Zonophone

8. kanakaris

kanakaris Forum Resident

9. J_D__

J_D__ Senior Member

Once you become a oldies act, it’s sometimes best to be quiet and rake in the cash.

kanakaris likes this.
  10. RockAddict

RockAddict Sanity is an illusion, just like democracy

From the interview:

“I have no idea what or who The Weeknd is because I don’t listen to much music,...”

“And, by the way, with all due respect to The Weeknd or Drake or any of them,” said Waters. “I am far, far, far more important than any of them will ever be, however many billions of streams they’ve got. There is stuff going on here that is fundamentally important to all of our lives.”
    --------------------------

If Roger doesn't listen to much music, how is it possible for him (or anyone) to determine the importance or relevance of that artist? If someone hasn't listened to much Pink Floyd, they may well reach a similar conclusion about that band.

There is also an irony of ironies in Roger's own words. Roger's writing is, so I thought, premised on everyone being important, we all matter; it's been a running theme within his lyrics for more than 40 years whether implied or direct. To then refer to others in such dismissive and reductive terms shows precisely the same sort of disconnect he (and probably many of us) so vehemently observes about most politicians.

Roger's comments have left me more than a little despondent. Of all people, he should get it. Or, in the ultimate irony, has he finally been subsumed by the very demagoguing character traits he has for so long railed against? It's getting very hard to distinguish between Roger and "Pink".

PS: Observations made "as-is"; no Roger / David agenda.

Stormrider77, NunoBento and rontoon like this.
  11. Ghost of Ziggy

Ghost of Ziggy Forum Resident

As humble as ever

12. vertigone

vertigone Forum Resident

The tour thread has been closed because people couldn't stay on topic, so I'll post this here. Was a treat to hear this track from The Final Cut.

13. tkl7

tkl7 Agent Provocateur

I really like the fact that he changed the arrangement of Comfortably Numb to open the show with. That was pretty ballsy, and it worked well, IMO. If there is one weakness to the Pink Floyd Material, it is that all the members try to recreate the album version in their solo tours.

AnthonyCM and RockNRod like this.
  14. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

Since the other thread got closed before I saw RW, I didn't comment.

My first RW - or PF - show ever, and I'm glad I went, but I can't claim I loved or even much liked the concert.

And that was because RW really was relentless with the political comments.

I'm not a "shut up and sing" guy, and I'm largely on the same page in terms of views, but geez... it just never stopped.

Dunno if he spent more time on the subject because he was in DC than usual, but it did put a damper on an otherwise well-executed show.

J_D__ and rontoon like this.
  15. englishbob

He's annouced some European shows now as "farewell" dates - well the full text is "first ever farewell tour" :laugh:

C'mon UK dates - I'm there in a heartbeat, farewell or not I'll keep going

[​IMG]

Derek Slazenger likes this.
  16. J_D__

J_D__ Senior Member

+1 and why I passed on seeing him. You can watch MSNBC to get the same experiences as a Roger Waters show.

17. RockNRod

RockNRod Forum Resident

Well, thank god (or whoever you pray to) that it's not like watching FOX.

18. englishbob

New Euro dates including France announced - hopefully now for some UK shows - praying it's not Hyde Park again

19. brucewayneofgotham

brucewayneofgotham Forum Resident

he loves the sound of his own voice, seen him twice on this tour
    and I beginning to think there may be more speaking then music

20. sharedon

sharedon Forum Zonophone

21. George Co-Stanza

George Co-Stanza Forum Resident

Note that I have no issues with Roger doing a different arrangement of Comfortably Numb, even though it feels like one of those immortal songs you should never mess with, but what's wrong with recreating the album versions?

22. aphexj

aphexj Sound mind & body

Nothing, except they never bothered to for the first six or seven years of their career and those shows were magical

tkl7 likes this.
  23. sharedon

sharedon Forum Zonophone

24. rontoon

rontoon Animaniac

Billy Infinity likes this.
  25. RockAddict

RockAddict Sanity is an illusion, just like democracy

Unless it can be brought back on topic. This for example...

Roger's new set list for Poland:

01. Not In The Flesh
    02. The Unhappiest Days, Always
    03. Brain Really Damaged
    04. Empty Auditoriums
    05. There's Nothing To Do Now
    06. Any (contrary) Colour You Like

Intermission - turn left, left again, then left

07. [Roger lecture]
    08. Who Needs Misinformation?
    09. [Roger lecture]
    10. Me Or Me
    11. There Isn't Anybody Out There
    12. The Powers That I Should Have
    13. Dunroamin, Duncarin, Dunlivin, Dunsanity
    14. The Moment Of Fogginess
    15. Watching (selective) TV - any channel of 13

At this point, a stray USB stick is inserted into the mixing desk and an ironic broadcast of Terminal Frost starts playing.

Roger doesn't recognise it because he doesn't listen to much music nowadays and he is far far more important than any other artist. Ever. Roger doesn't understand why others are laughing and introduces the first encore song which, with car-crash inevitably must be...

16. Oceans Apart
    Break...
    17. What God Wants Is A Good Laugh; God Got
    18. Outside The (Asylum) Wall

Oh boy, I'm gonna take so much flak for this...;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.