Roger Waters "Us + Them" Concert Film

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by rontoon, Apr 1, 2019.

1. rontoon

rontoon Animaniac Thread Starter

Announcement of Blu-ray release forthcoming.

mc9, Big Pasi, Deek57 and 12 others like this.
  2. crossroads69

crossroads69 Senior Member

Thanks Rontoon! Definite purchase for me.

rontoon likes this.
  3. Eiricd

Eiricd Forum Resident

day 1

4. RockNRod

RockNRod Forum Resident

So to summarize the most recent comments, U+T internet digital release mid June and BluRay announcement coming, Roger is pissed because he can't use the official Pink Floyd site for solo related matters, and finally fans spew their BS about which camp is more correct. Did I miss anything?

5. Deek57

Deek57 Forum Resident

Maybe, I stayed for the singalong on the Dark Side tour, I remember how appreciative Rog was with the Liverpool audience.

6. puffyrock2

puffyrock2 Forum Resident

Now when are we gonna get the 1982 "Wall" movie on Blu-Ray? Someone asked Roger in an interview about that and he said he was going to look into it or something of the sort. The old DVD just isn't doing it for me anymore.

mc9 and Geordiepete like this.
  7. donl

donl Forum Resident

Will there be an audio release of this?

8. Geordiepete

Geordiepete Tippet tyer

It occurs to me that while many rock-video consumers have blu-ray players, not so many have 4k as opposed to standard blu-ray, yet many own 4k TVs. Releasing films as streams or downloads rather than on blu-ray discs reduces overheads and ensures that consumers who have or who will later purchase 4k TVs will see this in the best available resolution.

Last edited: May 21, 2020
  9. Sigma6

Sigma6 Forum Resident

Sean Evans says yes (via an Instagram comment confirming a soundtrack release)

donl and revolution_vanderbilt like this.
  10. Geordiepete

Geordiepete Tippet tyer

Not having a 4k blu-ray player, but having a 4k TV, I'm now thinking I'll purchase the digital download rather than the blu-ray disc. If the download is 4k, then that would provide better a viewing experience than a regular blu-ray.

All else being equal, I usually prefer to buy the disc, but with releases now available for download in a resolution higher than my disc player can achieve, it is starting to make more sense to download. Another advantage is that one can access downloaded content with a tap of the remote control without the additional steps and longer wait needed with a disc. A drawback of downloads, from the consumer's perspective, is that they can't be resold, which is what people tend to do with videos they no longer keep. Hopefully Us + Them is a keeper.

It would be great if consumers could stream a film at rental price then have the option to pay the remainder of the download price within a day or two of viewing. I wonder if this an option that has been considered by any streaming and downloading providers.

Last edited: May 21, 2020
  11. Geordiepete

Geordiepete Tippet tyer

Roger Waters, In the Flesh, too, which I think was shot on film. Love that video, but rarely watch it on DVD. It looked fine when I had a smaller TV, but now, of course, it's let down by the low resolution.

OakBloke likes this.
  12. Eiricd

Eiricd Forum Resident

Was that shot on film?!

13. Geordiepete

Geordiepete Tippet tyer

I don't know. I read or inferred somewhere that a notably higher-quality release would be possible, but can't remember the source. No doubt someone here will have the info.

14. Sigma6

Sigma6 Forum Resident

I believe so.

15. Eiricd

Eiricd Forum Resident

never knew that, and from looking at the dvd is doesn't strike me as film sourced.

well, I guess I can only cross my fingers for an HD upgrade at some point....
    Make it a double feature with the abandoned DSOTM concert film from 2006! Do you hear that RW? Take my money please :)

mc9, tedhead, RAZORMADE and 1 other person like this.
  16. Rubberpigg

Rubberpigg Senior Member

So, David Gilmour can use the Pink Floyd site to promote all his solo endeavours, but Roger Waters can't.
    Wow!!

17. Geordiepete

Geordiepete Tippet tyer

Didn't know about that filming. Wonder why it was abandoned. Double blu-ray from those years would be great!

Last edited: May 22, 2020
  18. Incredulous_Observer

Incredulous_Observer Forum Resident

I always buy the disc and rip them to MKV and upload on PLEX so that I have the instant access benefits of a download, a physical copy backup and the resale option.

Last edited: May 22, 2020
    Geordiepete likes this.
  19. Geordiepete

Geordiepete Tippet tyer

Thanks. That sort of sounds like an alien language to me, but now I understand. MKV is a file format, more or less, and PLEX, as far as I can gather, is something like a streaming service that stores your media on your own hard drive. When I've thought of doing this before, I've considered connecting a large hard drive to my Playstation, so that all the content is easily accessed. What advantages would PLEX have over that? Of course this is only tangentially related to Roger Waters, Us + Them.

20. Deek57

Deek57 Forum Resident

Good question, what is the advantage of PLEX over a file folder on an HD. Is PLEX a cloud service.

21. posnera

posnera Forum Resident

PLEX allows for all of your media to be played anywhere, locally or over the internet. It isn’t a true cloud service, your media is stored on your own hard drive.
    I canceled cable and bought an antenna, a decoder box (HDHomerun) and a lifetime subscription to Plex Pass. That cost about 3-4 months of my TV bill. The subscription is only needed for the use of live tv and dvr functions. I can watch and record broadcast tv for free.
    The latest addition is a separate music player app. I pointed that to my iTunes folder and now my entire music library is available from anywhere as well.

22. Deek57

Deek57 Forum Resident

I don't think that would suit me, sounds like a lot of faffing about, thanks for your explanation.

23. posnera

posnera Forum Resident

For local media it is pretty simple. Try it out, it is free unless you want the dvr.

Deek57 likes this.
  24. Geordiepete

Geordiepete Tippet tyer

I just read that converting a blu-ray to an MKV file can take 2 to 3 hours! Perhaps the articel I read is very dated, but if it still takes a long time, I won't be going that route.

25. crossroads69

crossroads69 Senior Member

It can take a long time. I usually start the process and get on with other things - it’s worth the short wait!

posnera likes this.