Roger Waters 'Us + Them' Tour 2017

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by ponkine, Oct 8, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Billy Infinity

Billy Infinity Beloved aunt

Some musical overlap amongst The Wall, The Wall Soundtrack, The Final Cut, and Pros and Cons... I'm gonna say enough original material for one and a half albums at best, but your point is taken. :)

2. dkmonroe

dkmonroe A completely self-taught idiot

He had two original song cycles, The Wall and Pros And Cons, which was two more than any other member of the band. That's what a "creative genius" does, he keeps working while the others are sailing and racing cars and going to discos between albums. :)

3. Zeki

Zeki Forum Resident

I'm assuming that anyone who was a member of Pink Floyd would be proud of their contributions and would wish to feature Pink Floyd as part of their career resume. So I don't get upset by the marketing use.

That doesn't mean that Pink Floyd itself, at least through the Waters era, wasn't a band with all of the members adding important ingredients that blended well together.

(I don't know much about post-Waters Floyd, so maybe it was still a band dynamic just driven by Gilmour. I simply have no idea.)

dkmonroe likes this.
  4. rrbbkk

rrbbkk Forum Resident

I'm hoping he's teasing the announcement of a tour performing all the Floyd stuff he played at Desert Trip and Mexico City.

dkmonroe likes this.
  5. dkmonroe

Some people seem to have this phony standard that since Roger quit the band of his own volition, he should not be able to mention it in promoting himself.

Paulo Alm and Zeki like this.
  6. ponkine

ponkine Senior Member Thread Starter

Waters always see himself as THE genious of Pink Floyd, but then his solo albums are in first place, just 3 efforts (none of them can touch the best Floyd albums). And then gazillion versions of "The Wall"

Such little ouput from a so called "genious"

7. dkmonroe

Yeah, that's probably it. It's almost certain that if he's calling it "Us And Them", it's certainly going to be a tour or a live album of Floyd stuff or something like that.

8. Billy Infinity

I'm not disagreeing with you. I just find it strange for anyone to call themselves a "creative genius". I've been a fan of his for years, but it does come off strange.

Kalli likes this.
  9. Zeki

Zeki Forum Resident

:D:D
    That's why the band dynamic is oftentimes extremely important (I.e. CCR). But ...it's not like the well doesn't run dry for many creative people.

I think I'll listen to The Final Cut again today! :D

10. dkmonroe

Roger Waters wrote an album that sold 23X platinum, and wrote all the lyrics and much of the music on another that sold 15X platinum Both works sell great today and nearly everyone here who likes Floyd queues up to by them again and again no matter how many times they're released. If I had done that, I'd call myself a "genius."

What's the album release schedule for "genius" level artists anyway?

Last edited: Oct 11, 2016
  11. Billy Infinity

Eagles - Their Greatest Hits - 29X platinum. Geniuses?

mastaflatch likes this.
  12. Dr Mike

Dr Mike Forum Resident

I have a feeling it's his PR agency that's doing it, and that Roger himself is probably embarrassed by it. But I'm sure they feel it's necessary – the layman tends to know Pink Floyd, not Roger Waters. I remember when I got tickets to see Roger in 2006, my dad – who is familiar with Floyd's hit music but doesn't know about the politics of the band – was like, "Who?"

Ryan Lux, Zeki and Billy Infinity like this.
  13. dkmonroe

I think it comes under "it's not bragging if it's true." If he billed himself as, "Pink Floyd's bass player", that'd be selling himself short, because that wasn't his greatest contribution to the band. I think "creative genius" fits perfectly well, because it says essentially that he was the conceptual artist behind several of the Floyd's biggest albums, and that's a true statement. People just get hung up on "genius" because they think it is only an honorific signifying measurable intelligence. That is not its only meaning. The word it comes from means "spirit."

14. Sytze

Sytze Senior Member

Well... there is of course the 'Music from The Body' album from '70, on which he has four solo tracks, plus his solo contributions to 'Ummagumma'...

lucan_g likes this.
  15. dkmonroe

Sure, why not? If it were one guy writing most of those songs, it'd be even more obvious. Not everybody can write music that sells tens of millions of copies. Again, people get hung up on "genius" because their only definition for the word is Einstein.

JoeRockhead and Braulio Acosta like this.
  16. Zeki

Zeki Forum Resident

The brand and the resume. Basic marketing.

dkmonroe likes this.
  17. Zeki

Zeki Forum Resident

Spot on. Well said.

JoeRockhead and dkmonroe like this.
  18. Ryan Lux

Ryan Lux Senior Member

Yes nothing more than marketing. In a world of constant noise, you can't really afford to be subtle. Btw, the word "genius" in reference to Brian Wilson was also marketing. Man did that one stick.

19. Billy Infinity

Gilmour bills himself as "The Voice and Guitar of Pink Floyd". I don't think that's overstating things too much, even though Waters took a bunch of lead vocals throughout their career. I would rather Waters bill himself as "Lyricist and conceptualist of Pink Floyd".

Or something like that. I don't have a dog in this fight - I've left the Waters vs Trio argument years ago. Roger Waters knows how to best market Roger Waters. Carry on, everyone. :)

20. drumzNspace

drumzNspace Forum Resident

"The creative force behind Pink Floyd" would be perfect.

21. RicZ

RicZ Forum Resident

A shame that the focus is on the marketing slogan.
    I think it's been used for quite some time now.
    I first noticed the "Voice and guitar of Pink Floyd" one on David Gilmour releases,
    then I wondered what they would use for Roger.
    Never felt the need to debate its accuracy with every release or event when it's used or to hold it against Roger personally.

Curious to see what this is about.
    I won't rule out a new album but I don't think this is it.

dkmonroe likes this.
  22. dkmonroe

That would reduce the complaining posts in this thread by about 10%. It's Roger's continued existence that rankles people. :laugh:

23. Zack

Zack Senior Member

Isn't this an old thing, people? Weren't we joking about Nick Mason being the "hat and mustache of Pink Floyd" years ago?

GoodKitty, squittolo, Runicen and 3 others like this.
  24. Rfreeman

Rfreeman Senior Member

I would apply the term to them before Waters.

But no, both just wrote pop songs. The Eagles at least wrote some uplifting ones.

25. Matheusms

Matheusms Forum Resident

Having strong opinions and taking sides also contributes for all this hostility.

dkmonroe likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.