Roger Waters 'Us + Them' Tour 2017

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by ponkine, Oct 8, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rfreeman

Rfreeman Senior Member

There are things about Roger other than being an egomaniac and recycling The Wall over and over and over that rankle people, but they are better discussed on Facebook.

Last edited: Oct 11, 2016
  2. Matheusms

Matheusms Forum Resident

Rockstars aren't well known for egomania. I can't think of other examples beside Roger. They are all so humble.

Oliver, Pinknik and dkmonroe like this.
  3. Oliver

Oliver Bourbon Infused

I think this is where it gets difficult, I think deep down David Gilmour and probably Rick Mason even moreso would acknowledge that a majority of ideas that came out of Pink Floyd in what many consider their "classic run" were indeed Roger's. I think people then take that to mean that Roger then has to be much more important in the band than the others and take offense to that. However because Pink Floyd's sound is such a huge component its hard to underate what the others brought to the table and how they worked together instrumentally. I mean if Waters had all of his ideas and brought it to another group of musicians he knows the results would certainly be different and I would argue not as effective.

For the record I'm literally 50/50 on the Waters vs Gilmour "debate" (there really is no debate for me) as I love them both.

arthurprecarious, StarDoG and Zeki like this.
  4. dkmonroe

dkmonroe A completely self-taught idiot

And I'd probably agree with you about those things, but all this, "Oh, he just writes about daddy and the war', and "who does he think he is claiming he was once in Pink Floyd" crap is nonsense. :laugh:

rd1 likes this.
  5. Zeki

Zeki Forum Resident

Made me laugh! I missed that, but don't doubt it for a moment.

Zack likes this.
  6. radiophonic

radiophonic Forum Resident

To be fair, Wright and Gilmour both did solo LPs in 1978. They were tapped out because they'd carried on recording. If Norton-Warburg hadn't gone bust, I'm not 100% sure Floyd would have continued in the way that they did. They mainly went the Rog route because there was no choice - they needed material right now. A gap of a few years might have seen a very different band.

Ignominious, Kalli and Runicen like this.
  7. dkmonroe

Fair point, but Roger could have put out a solo album at the same time they did and still had enough left over for another Floyd album. They simply weren't as prolific as he was.

8. Sadcafe

Sadcafe In the kingdom of the deaf, one eared man is King

Are you all getting altitude sickness up there on all your high horses and lofty positions. What a load of tosh about an advertising campaign. Get a life!

ohnothimagen, nathan_h, Zeki and 2 others like this.
  9. Vinyl Addict

Vinyl Addict Forum Resident

Just saw a billboard for this in Boston.

Pinknik likes this.
  10. Sander

Sander Senior Member

Now THAT would be misleading, Nick shaved off his mustache years ago! :unhunh:

But you're right, it's an old thing...

11. Sordel

Sordel Forum Resident

You make it nonsense by phrasing it like that.

If McCartney went on tour with the tagline 'The genius behind The Beatles' there would be an analagous discussion, and not because people hate McCartney (which for the most part they don't) but because a) being a genius is cooler when you don't say it yourself, b) calling yourself the genius is purposefully flipping the bird to your former bandmates, c) he's Sir Paul McCartney, no explanation needed. You don't see Richard Thompson billing himself as 'the genius behind Fairport Convention' because he's got more self-respect than to do that. He also didn't spend the last thirty years touring Unhalfbricking with a light show.

12. Zeki

Zeki Forum Resident

At the risk of instigating a book burning, I just read a mystery which featured Waters as a witness to a crime. Subsequently, Waters invites the main crime solver to one of the first Pink Floyd shows.

13. Zeki

Zeki Forum Resident

He may have if he thought he could make a half a billion dollars. :D

Kalli and Sordel like this.
  14. drumzNspace

drumzNspace Forum Resident

What book?

15. Zeki

Zeki Forum Resident

Grantchester Meadows mystery series:

1. Sidney Chambers and The Dangers of Temptation (2016)

Last edited: Oct 11, 2016
  16. Sordel

Sordel Forum Resident

Well, I'd pay to see it ... :help:

Zeki likes this.
  17. dkmonroe

I'm being sarcastic. But there's no way that Roger's byline could not include the words "Pink Floyd" and not generate the same backlash.

Zeki likes this.
  18. Rfreeman

Rfreeman Senior Member

To be fair McCartney doesn't have to call himself the genius behind the Beatles because he didn't dry up as a creative force as soon as he quit the band.

By all accounts Pros and Cons was written before he quit the band. And didn't really sell.

Radio KAOS was not interesting enough for many folks to listen to it twice.

Amused to Death was quite good, but I think had even poorer sales.

Ca Ira couldn't even get arrested.

So in 35 years Mr. Prolific created one good album that did not sell.

Runicen likes this.
  19. Ben Adams

Ben Adams Forum Resident

Radio KAOS got a lot of listening in my group of friends when it was first released. It simply hasn't held up well in subsequent years because of the production.

20. Zeki

Zeki Forum Resident

I don't think there's a timeline on "genius". As far as creativity goes, single instances may even qualify.

I liked Radio KAOS just fine.

JoeRockhead and ammoj2 like this.
  21. Rfreeman

Rfreeman Senior Member

My point regarding genius was only that it is unseemly to call oneself that and even more so in relation to a collaborative effort which had 5 equal members.

My point regarding having to promote himself with the Pink Floyd name, unlike McCartney who does not tour as the "Cute One of the Beatles", is that it is because he has failed to do anything with mass appeal since he quit the band, other than live performances of Pink Floyd material.

driverdrummer likes this.
  22. dkmonroe

He shoulda hooked up with Bob Ezrin and did some transparent retreads of his Floyd sounds and themes.

driverdrummer likes this.
  23. nathan_h

nathan_h could be weirder

This.

It's just a simple marketing phrase to remind civilians that Waters was part of Pink Floyd and if you liked that "Money" song you should go out and buy whatever it is he is selling now.

LivingForever and dkmonroe like this.
  24. Zeki

Zeki Forum Resident

Is this the time to point out "you can't argue with success "?! :D

25. Zeki

Zeki Forum Resident

Yes, I agree.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.