Roger Waters 'Us + Them' Tour 2017

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by ponkine, Oct 8, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sordel

Sordel Forum Resident

Please feel free to revisit the thread once we have more than a teaser campaign to discuss.

2. Rockinrob

Rockinrob Forum Resident

He's been recording a new record with the excellent Jonathan Wilson producing. Any Floyd fans not familiar with Wilson ahould check out his record Fanfare ASAP!

3. longaway

longaway Senior Member

Gonna laugh so hard when the first Us+Them ad for Gilmour goes out.

4. Say It Right

Say It Right Not for the Hearing Impaired

Ray Charles used the term in album titles. In Roger's case, he'd been exceessively ego-driven, but does seem to have calmed down a bit over the decades.

Anne Elk (Miss) likes this.
  5. Sordel

Sordel Forum Resident

Wilson's an interesting choice: very good if you're looking for "vintage" sound. Anyone wondering what he does as a producer could check out Roy Harper's Man And Myth, with Roy of course supplying extra Pink Floyd interest.

penguinzzz and Rockinrob like this.
  6. Sordel

Sordel Forum Resident

Not really a fair comparison since "The Genius" was a nickname given to Ray by other musicians.

7. BluesOvertookMe

BluesOvertookMe Forum Resident

But do you PAY for that right?

8. Pinknik

Pinknik Senior Member

He has to hear it, doesn't he? :D

BluesOvertookMe likes this.
  9. Say It Right

Say It Right Not for the Hearing Impaired

It wasn't a comparison. Just mentioned it.

10. Pinknik

Pinknik Senior Member

P.S. What ever this Us + Them is, I look forward to it. If it is the new album and tour, while I hope that it's a full "theatrical concept show" built around the new album (ala Pros or KAOS tours), how well would that go down with folks who have only seen his more Floyd-hits-centric shows? Which I also enjoyed, but I missed the "concept" feel of the Radio KAOS tour, which I sadly did not see in person.

Thinking further on it, Gilmour tours and presents almost his entire new solo album, which seems to go over fine.

coffeetime likes this.
  11. Sadcafe

Sadcafe In the kingdom of the deaf, one eared man is King

Thanks for the patronising.
    I for one am excited about this, be it a tour, film or album. Did not expect the thread to be a pissing contest.

Pinknik likes this.
  12. Pinknik

Pinknik Senior Member

We specialize in pissing contests here at Steve Hoffman Music Forums, though, as we age, it's not uncommon for contestants to leave with wet feet.

Nick Brook and Geordie777 like this.
  13. Zeki

Zeki Forum Resident

Gilmour's marketing people can call him The Quiet Genius, The Humble Genius, The Unassuming Genius, The Obvious Genius..of Pink Floyd and it would just make me nod and look forward to hearing what's next.

14. misterdecibel

misterdecibel Bulbous Also Tapered

Will he have to share a percentage of the proceeds with the estate of Rick Wright for re-using the title of a song for which they share songwriting credits?

Kalli likes this.
  15. dkmonroe

dkmonroe A completely self-taught idiot

Sure, when everyone who's ever used the same song title or book title or movie title as someone else pays up as well.

If he performs the song, Rick Wright's estate will get a cut. Will that suffice?

Zeki likes this.
  16. It's hardly "nonsense". I mean, what to do with these outrageous claims about having had something to do with Pink Floyd? Who does he think he is, Bob Klose?

dkmonroe likes this.
  17. dkmonroe

I for one would queue up for "Bob Klose, The Only Guy In Pink Floyd Who Knew How To Play An Instrument." :laugh:

marc with a c and Dudley Morris like this.
  18. Sordel

Sordel Forum Resident

Haven't you heard / It's a battle of words?

If you followed Roger's lyrics carefully then you'd have know exactly what to expect from a thread on Us + Them.

19. Rfreeman

Rfreeman Senior Member

He has the whole "voice" and "guitar" thing going on, while Roger has to produce a work of "genius" for folks to be into it.

20. Baba Oh Really

Baba Oh Really Certified "Forum Favorite"

I know, I know... but the truth is the truth.

Zeki, Zack and ammoj2 like this.
  21. Pinknik

Pinknik Senior Member

A local DJ just mentioned that he may have tour dates by as early as Thursday.

Baba Oh Really likes this.
  22. Runicen

Runicen Forum Resident

Waters' words and music informed my teens in a big way and I still value his work.

That said, the last truly adventurous thing he did was Radio KAOS, after which he made Amused to Death, which was good, but musically rather bland outside of Jeff Beck's star turns. Then what? A decade of silence followed by a rather "meh" opera and basically turning over The Wall to a multimedia company to reimagine? Oh yeah, and having a good larf at the expense of fans who shelled out $500 for an absurd super deluxe he couldn't even be bothered to sign properly. Ho ho ho, ha ha ha.

Sorry, but when it comes to Rog, it's put up or shut up time. Make some frelling records and make the best frelling records you are capable of making. I'm sick of this past laurels crap and the constant touring retreads (all of which cost a premium per head for attendance to the benefit of Mr. "I Hate Sports Arenas"), I'm sick of the political grandstanding and - ironically from a man who lamented the death of communication - the sudden embrace of meme culture and soundbytes. If you've got something political to say, have the decency to not just post pictures with click bait headlines and put some thought and a few column inches into it. For that matter, if you're going to hang your hat on being a musician - actually DO IT. Create something!

Roger Waters was a creative genius. WAS. Frankly, I'm tired of seeing him puffed up (whether it's at his behest or his management team) when he's been creatively inactive almost as long as he was active.

I'll be singing his praises if he returns to the path of righteousness because I want the creative force I idolized back. In the meanwhile, since he's so in love with being a celebrity, I won't expect much.

Sluggy likes this.
  23. Zack

Zack Senior Member

Here's the truth, Baba. In 1982, Roger Waters unilaterally anointed himself dictator of a group we all love based on the success of his songs, and to some extent, his playing and singing over more than a decade. He insisted on putting out an album, which while not without merit and at times great, was not what fans of Pink Floyd had come to expect of the group. In 1985, he attempted to break up Pink Floyd claiming with some arrogance that the group was a "spent force" creatively and, as per his right as dictator, defunct. Somewhat to the chagrin of the group's legion of fans, who took sides and continue to bicker about the situation to this day.

keyXVII, fishcane and Baba Oh Really like this.
  24. fishcane

fishcane Dirt Farmer

If Roger Waters' name is involved then its a pretty safe bet

The_Windmill and Zeki like this.
  25. dkmonroe

Put up or shut up time? :laugh: What are you gonna do if he doesn't follow your direction? Fire him?

The guy's well into his 60's, he's made some great music with the Floyd, and he's made the solo albums he wanted to make. If he wants to tour stadiums again and perform his music for appreciative crowds, he has every right to do that. He doesn't HAVE to impress you or me or anyone else. He doesn't have to prove to us that he can still do what he did when he was 25. Neither does anyone else. Face it, most guys like Waters and Gilmour and every other hoary old rocker of the 60's and 70's are probably never gonna create new albums that equal or surpass what they've done already. All ya get at this point is maybe the opportunity to enjoy the music one last time as delivered by the composer before the curtain falls. It's gonna fall sooner than you think for ALL of these guys. I hope that when comes down for Roger, I'm not reading another 20-page bitch thread dismissing his accomplishments and maligning his character. That's all.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.