Rogue stereo 100

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Pjetrof, Jun 15, 2020.

1. Pjetrof

Pjetrof Well-Known Member Thread Starter

To all,

I can’t listen to this amplifier. After reading the test in Stereophile, I m very intrested in this power amp.
    My speakers are Harbeth 30.2.
    Does someone have experience With this amplifier and want to share his findings?
    Are there people who have used this tube amp or any tube amp with Harbeths and what where your findings?
    Thx in advance.
    Apologies for my bad English ain’t my native language.
    Thx for having me in this forum.

2. Cherrycherry

Cherrycherry Forum Resident

3. Helom

Helom Forum member

Not with Harbeths but I've used one with Spendors. Great sound except for the transformer hummed quite loudly in my system. It sounded like a very good solid state amp, though I used it with a solid state preamp so that might have been why. When I remarked about this character to my dealer he agreed that the Cronus Magnum is the more lush, tubey sounding amp.

Overall a very smooth performer with great bass.

4. Standingstones

Standingstones Forum Resident

I did have the Rogue 100 for a period of time. It sounded great and it was priced right at the time. My problem was I had surgery on my back a number of times. It became too difficult for me to constantly pull the amp out of my rack and bias the power tubes. I ended up selling it and I went with a Parasound A21.

5. Bananas&blow

Bananas&blow It's just that demon life has got me in its sway

How did the sound compare to the A21? I have an A21 and have considered the Stereo 100 as an alternative. I'm a big fan of the A21. It effortlessly powered every pair of speakers I can afford to throw at it :). They are all rated less than the 250 Watts it puts out, but I figure that means I am listening in class A mode more often.

I don't mean to derail the thread, they are somewhat comparable price-wise.

SandAndGlass likes this.
  6. avanti1960

avanti1960 Forum Resident

I have the Stereo 100 and have been using it for about 5 months now. I run it all day, every day since working from home in March.
    Feeding it with a Rogue Audio tube preamp and driving Harbeth SHL5+ speakers.
    I have owned a variety of tube and solid state amplifiers. Compared to a high quality Cary solid state amp, the sound is smoother, more refined and slightly darker in a tube like way. Compared to the Rogue Cronus Magnum ii the sound is similar because i use the same NOS small signal tubes, yet with the same 100 watts per channel rating the Stereo 100 sounds more powerful, louder and more dynamic. It is a great combination of tube like refinement and soundstage with the bass, impact, power and authority of a solid state amp.
    I heard a slight hum when standing over the amp when it was new. The amp is now completely silent.
    Drives my Harbeths very well and the match does sound excellent with all types of music.

daveed_tx, bajaed, BayouTiger and 5 others like this.
  7. avanti1960

more refined for sure, the stereo100 takes the edge off you didnt realize until it was gone.
    slightly less powerful, much larger soundstage, definitely more transparent.

8. Lenny

Lenny Forum Resident

This is a great amp, though it will not give you the lush old fashioned tube sound, it that is what you want. But it will definitely give you the sense of space, the solidity and three dimension quality of instruments and the air of a good tube amp. Stereophile reviewed the amp very favorably and used your speakers!
    Rogue Audio Stereo 100 power amplifier

SandAndGlass, avanti1960 and gakerty like this.
  9. gakerty

gakerty Forum Resident

+1 on what Avanti1960 noted about the Stereo 100, don't have much to add. It's a lovely amp. I've had the ST100 (driven by an RP7 pre) since ~ March of 2019. It's gotten hours of use per day since. No hum at all from mine. Although I'd agree that it isn't a "lush" sounding amp per se, it can be seasoned to one's liking by tube rolling and responds well to that. My favorite combos have been NOS RCA BP 12Ax7 as gain tubes, Brimar long plates as drivers. Currently I have NOS Mullard long plates as gain. Rich, smooth, effortless, detailed, and utterly non - fatiguing. My previous amp was a Parasound Halo Int, and the ST100 surpasses it in sound quality, most noticeable in detail retrieval and resolution of treble (ride cymbals just sound natural, with no tizz). Bass is impressive in the ST100. It's a long term keeper for me, don't have any plans to change anytime soon. Edit: the triode vs ultralinear switch is a nice touch as well, I've found myself gravitating towards triode mode, there's just a touch more depth in that mode, but it is a subtle change, at least on my system.

SandAndGlass and KT88 like this.
  10. Fruff76

Fruff76 L100 Classic - Fan Club President

A while back I had a rogue with a bad hum also. I eventually moved on.

ls35a and Standingstones like this.
  11. avanti1960

thanks to your suggestion i just switched mine to triode for this afternoon's listening.
    i tried it previously but didn't listen too closely.
    the bass is subtly sharper and more defined, treble seems a touch more extended and sweeter. i like it, thanks for the mention...

SandAndGlass likes this.
  12. zek4u

zek4u Well-Known Member

Bought back my Rogue Stereo 100 amplifier from great local guy I sold it to a year and a half ago. Why did I ever sell it. Just wonderful with the Audio Research LS-27. Wow! Ripped out the cheap new tubes and put in my Brimar 12ax7 and Hammond labeled Sylvania 12AU7A tubes. Wow! Might try all Brimars but seems like best system of my life. Have I said that before. Had Harbeths last time around and now have Sonus Faber Olympica 1 speakers and they work wonderfully. Was worried this system wouldn’t rock but ironically, Metallica is playing from this playlist now and yes indeed, it can rock!

13. avanti1960

something in my system isn't jiving completely well, possibly the tubes.
    What do the Brimar 12AX sound like if I might ask?

14. Cray123

Cray123 Member

Hi Avanti,

When changing from CM2 to Stereo 100, did you consider using the CM2 as the pre-amp working with Stereo 100? I am considering on this combination as an interim setup. Would be glad if you can share your thoughts.

15. Echoes Myron

Echoes Myron Forum Resident

That Stereophile writeup sure is convincing!

SandAndGlass likes this.
  16. avanti1960

hi cray
    i planned from the start to use a rogue preamp.
    i had used the cm2 as a preamp for a solid state amp i have and it worked OK too. you can use it as a preamp, you need to remove the kt 120 power tubes if you do because the power section needs to be connected to speaker loading or it will fail.
    adding the stereo 100 will be a huge upgrade.
    adding a proper preamp will be another one.

Echoes Myron likes this.
  17. Cray123

Cray123 Member

Wow good to hear this! And thanks so much for sharing your experience!

Echoes Myron likes this.
  18. billnunan

billnunan Forum Resident

I got a Stereo-100 about 3 weeks ago. I feed it with a Schiit Freya+ preamp in tube mode. So it is tubes feeding tubes.

This set-up provides a lot of power coupled with nice detail.

I have only listened in the Triode mode so far...and it is really great.

The Freya+ is a bargain at $899. It might be a good option for you.

I was considering the CM3 but our good buddy, avanti1960, opined that the Stereo-100 would be a better way to go.

I think he was right on the money. :cheers:

Echoes Myron likes this.
  19. SandAndGlass

SandAndGlass Twilight Forum Resident

For that reason I prefer the KT88 power tubes over the KT120's.

But I also run my tube amps with very high sensitivity horn loaded theater speakers.

Lower sensitivity direct radiator designs might benefit from the extra power and top and bottom end extension that the KT120's provide.

I have a KT88 Stereo 90. I also had a KT120 CM I and have a pair of M-150 monoblocks with KT88's.

I mostly run the M-150's in the triode mode. But then I listen to a lot of Jazz, Acoustic and Vocals.

Rogue amps are particularly nice because they have large power supplies and a lot of power.

Since running in the triode mode reduces the power by half, many lower power tube amps with power in the 30-Watt range just don't have sufficient power or power supplies to run in the ultralinear mode.

Those that do often have bass that is too sloppy. For that reason, many of these lower powered amps run in the ultraliner mode only.

This is really not a drawback, because class A/B amplifier design lends itself to the ultralinear mode and lower power amps are by their nature a bit more tube sounding in the first place.

Rogue amps are more powerful and tend by their design to be more linear sounding, as specially in the ultralinear mode, so the triode mode tends of soften the edge a bit and bring a more tube like experience to the party.

billnunan, gakerty and Echoes Myron like this.
  20. zek4u

zek4u Well-Known Member

Sorry for the late reply. Brimars sounds like the best of Telefunken and Mullards really. Not rolled off in the highs. Dynamic. Hate the saying but best of tubes and best of solid state. With my Tellurium cables, I even have that Naim prat I love. It’s not going be to warm and lush but that is a Rogue amp trait.

avanti1960 and Echoes Myron like this.
  21. guyfromscene24

guyfromscene24 Forum Resident

Avanti I'm curious how long did it take for your hum to go away. I have a ST100 that is about 2 months old and there is a slight transformer hum coming from the unit (not the speakers) that is audible up to about 7 ft away (if the house is very quiet)...

22. avanti1960

not exactly sure because it never bothered me but i did notice the silence after i had it ~ 6 months. could have happened before that too...

daveed_tx likes this.
  23. Oliver Meyer

Oliver Meyer In Audio Heaven Up Here

I heard the Pharaoh and then the ST100 with the Pharaoh as the pre with Dynaudio Special 40’s and it was incredible.

24. roa5153

roa5153 Active Member

How hot will the Stereo 100 get? What I am asking is, will it heat up a room?

25. GoldprintAudio

GoldprintAudio Forum Resident

I don't think it's terrible. Sort of your standard run of the mill tube amp, heat wise. One will not heat up my demo area at all, but I have a decently large space. If you are in a small room, it could potentially heat it up after a few hours of use I would imagine.