Roland's favorite CD versions of Black Sabbath albums (part2)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by MilesSmiles, Sep 16, 2011.

1. jamjam67

jamjam67 Forum Resident

Is a single disc version of the Pearce remaster for Heaven and Hell available?

Thanks.

2. marcelbr

marcelbr Forum Resident

Yes, it's hard to believe Pearce remastered NSD and TE (which are the worst of any master or remaster, and personally don't find the 1996 versions that bad as they say, just to give you an idea).
    On the other hand, Heaven and Hell and Mob Rules are spectacular - if you compare the Deluxe Editions with the original vinyls, it's hard to tell which is which - the levels, tonality and "in your face" overall feel... it's all there! I did compare them with needledrops of those respective albums - It's 2 of my top ten remasters ever.

3. No(t yet).

blacksabbathrainbow likes this.
  4. I recorded the analog output of my SACD player directly with my 24/96 high quality sound card, so that I can make CD-R's of my favorite DSD-only SACD's (like the SHM-SACD's). Yes, that recording still sounds noticeably better than the 2009 remaster.

So, even if you loose the high-res DSD and only downsample or record to redbook, if the SACD is mastered well, it will sound good (but not quite as good as the SACD). The mastering is more important than the resolution, in my opinion. A good CD version is better than an average SACD version.

5. Have you heard the Warner Bros. CD of "Mob Rules"? I like that one even a little better than the DE.

6. Tank

Tank New Member

I believe Pearce heard about what happened with TE and says he did not master it that way and that they actually decided to run it flat.

I wonder if this is the same for NSD? Because I bought the Universal vinyl reissues of TE and NSD and they sound great. Nothing like the CDs! Almost as if Masterpiece's versions were messed with by somebody for the CD versions! :shake:

7. marcelbr

marcelbr Forum Resident

Well, I used to have the WB cd as a kid (as well as the vinyl) but it's long gone... sadly. I'll track it down, Roland! It must be killer.

8. jamjam67

jamjam67 Forum Resident

The WB cd of Mob Rules smokes!
    Great sound! :edthumbs:

Holy Diver likes this.
  9. marcelbr

marcelbr Forum Resident

Are those WB Mob Rules the same mastering as the Vertigo cds?

10. No, they're not. The Warner Bros. is a little better than the WG Vertigo, in my opinion. It sounds a little more natural to me, although the WG Vertigo is also quite nice. I don't remember whether I would rate the DE better than the WG Vertigo or vice versa. I don't think I have the WG Vertigo anymore, so I can't go back for a comparison.

11. marcelbr

marcelbr Forum Resident

Yeah, they're so many now it's hard to keep track... :confused:

12. kevin5brown

kevin5brown Analog or bust.

Wow. I really like the latest remasters for TE and NSD.

(Checking my notes ...) Oh. That's just for the booklets, not the audio.

;)

Holy Diver likes this.
  13. The first 2009 remaster I received from Amazon.co.uk had a totally scratched disc that would skip. They sent me a replacement, and they told me to keep the defective one and could dispose of it or give it to charity if I feel that is appropriate.

I made a CD-R of my WG Vertigo version (which at the moment is my preferred version), scanned the label of that CD and put it in the nice packaging of the 2009 remaster. My friend now has this version, which combines decent sonics with nice artwork, and he's happy with it.

14. ricks

ricks Senior Member

When the MOR SHM-SACD is ripped and dithered down to 16/44.1 I found it still placed above the DE. Not to take away from the DE but the SHM-SACD is simply better and in a rare case for me I find the bonus disc to actually have some replay value.

BTW: By ripped in this case I am not referring to recorded via analog out, I mean ripped digitally via "PS3" or other method.

15. shirtandtie

shirtandtie Forum Resident

Does anybody know if the newer Sanctuary single disc Digipaks of the first three Black Sabbath albums are the new/same mastering as the deluxe editions? If so, does the first album digipak have "Wicked World" on it?

I would assume that yes they're just single disc versions of the same mastering as the deluxe editions, but I'd like to make sure before I start slamming my money down for them.

16. steveharris

steveharris Senior Member

I`m pretty sure the current digipaks-2010 Sancuary use the same mastering and tracklisting as the 2009 deluxe editions just without the bonus disc.There is no Wicked World on the single disc reissue just Evil Women.Some places in the US charge way too much for the deluxes and the single discs compared to say Amazon.uk.

17. shirtandtie

Yeah I've been pricing them. I never bought the deluxe editions because the bonus discs didn't excite me and they were über expensive. Now it looks like I'm going to need at least the first one for Wicked World.

18. shirtandtie

Another question regarding Never Say Die mastering. And maybe it's been mentioned here before, but I haven't come across it yet and this thread is now at an INSANE length.

Are the Vertigo blue swirl and 1993 Spectrum from Germany pressings the same?

19. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Senior Member

Spectrum is not the same as my red swirl, if that is any help. I have both.

20. Tank

Tank New Member

I think the Blue Swirl is Japanese and is the Warner Brothers mastering.

Some people like the Red Swirl from West Germany, but that's a different mastering.

Didn't Roland do a recap of his favorites recently?

21. steveharris

steveharris Senior Member

Here`s an older post,I used to get an idea for some of these since I never owned or compared every mastering either.

22. shirtandtie

Thanks! I was studying Roland's original picks but then the remasters happened and turned all of that upside down!

23. Those picks quoted in post # 121 are still valid for me.

It already includes the 2009 remasters (I have them all).

Things might change - at least that is my hope - with the new SHM-SACD's which will be released soon.

24. They are the same mastering, a friend of mine has bought the individual discs (of the masterings I recommended).

25. marcelbr

marcelbr Forum Resident

Roland, are they gonna release everything in SACD (at least up to The Mob Rules)?