Roland's favorite CD versions of Black Sabbath albums

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by rjstauber, Jun 8, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. curbach

curbach Some guy on the internet

Wow $40? Maybe it's time to sell mine :)

2. Masza

Masza Forum Resident

Has anyone hear Japanese Vertigo CD of NSD (PHCR-4120). How it sounds? And how other Japanese Vertigo CDs compare to European Vertigo or US WB CDs?

3. kevin5brown

kevin5brown Analog or bust.

I wouldn't have believed it if I hadn't heard it myself.

I really like the Spectrum for Never Say Die. Just got the WG Vertigo, and it's exactly like some of you say: the WG Vertigo is a smidge smiley faced vs the Spectrum. But it's a very balanced approach, such that the added bass that's there, while not overdone at all IMO, is just enough to take the edge off the highs that the Spectrum has. And I think the Spectrum is a lot warmer listen than the US WB. Don't know if right now I like the Spectrum or the WG Vertigo more, but the Vertigo is certainly an interesting listen.

BTW, I got mine from GEMM, for $15 or so. :righton:

Oh, offline TT DR numbers: US WB 12 dB, WG Vertigo 11 dB, Spectrum 10 dB.

blacksabbathrainbow likes this.
  4. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Senior Member

Kevin, I have the US WB and Spectrum of NSD. Is it worth tracking down the Vertigo?

5. kevin5brown

I would say if you can get one cheap, less than $20. I listened casually today, and really, the Spectrum and Vertigo are more alike than different. It's sort of a "pick 'em" situation. The Spectrum is a little bit brighter but still warm overall. The Vertigo is a little bit darker, but its still very listenable too.

One thing that I think is interesting, even my Spectrum has "Vertigo" on the back of the jewel case. And the booklets are almost identical. The Spectrum must be later because it says "Germany" whereas the Vertigo says "W. Germany".

6. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Senior Member

Maybe it's East Germany. :shh:

7. kevin5brown

I don't see an "E." though. :laugh:

Holy Diver likes this.
  8. Tank

Tank New Member

9. rjstauber

rjstauber Senior Member Thread Starter

Just got the SHM-SACD of "Master of Reality" and have to update my preference list. This SHM-SACD is great and even better than the already very good remaster from 2009. So the new SHM-SACD is my preferred digital version, but the 2009 remaster remains my preferred redbook (CD) version.

Can't believe how good the SHM-SACD sounds. The overall tonailty is quite similar to the 2009 remaster, a tiny bit less bright (but I wouldn't call the 2009 remaster "bright"). The SHM-SACD is a little less loud than the CD, so we get full dynamic range. The SHM-SACD sounds very smooth and creamy and is a real pleasure to listen to. A must-own if you like Black Sabbath and if you have SACD playback capability.

One of the very best SHM-SACD's, definitely in the Top 5 range, probably in my Top 3 range.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.