Roland's favorite CD versions of Black Sabbath albums

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by rjstauber, Jun 8, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dr. Merkwürdigli

Dr. Merkwürdigli Active Member

This is how I do it in Audition (version 1.5) during Extraction.

->File->Extract audio from CD

Attached Files:

xaml likes this.
  2. Purplerocks

Purplerocks Forum Resident

Thanks Jeff.
    I wonder if the 3-cd set mentioned earlier (Ozzy years) is the '86 mastering? That is dated '91 as a release date...doesn't seem like nearly as much detail as this '96 version though.

3. Jeff Carney

Jeff Carney Fan Of Specifics (No Koolaid)

I am not sure it has been determined for certain if the '91 box is the same as the '86 CDs, but I believe it is not the same.

If you are looking for "detail," stick with the '96 version you have. It's pretty jacked up with EQ, which will give you that sound. I prefer the warmth of the '86. I had to get used to it as I had been listening to the version you have for years, but the '86 is just INSANE! You can really take it for a ride at decent volumes and it is not harsh.

4. Jeff Carney

Sweet! I have version 3, but I'll try and see if it can do the same!

5. Purplerocks

I just looked much closer at EAC and there is a "swap channels" option, so
    I think I'll try that and make sure it works and in the meantime will keep an eye out for the '86 Castle.
    Thanks again guys.

6. oldschool

oldschool I love tape hiss

Jeff, so you've received my H&H CD :)

I can't really say I have a preference among the 23PD and 32PD. Both sound darn fine to me.

Finally decided to sell the 32PD because I needed to finance buying The Wall 48DP :p

7. Jeff Carney

Yep. I like them both. One day maybe I'll really figure out which I prefer but I am keeping both of them for now.

8. Purplerocks

Well, I listened to the '96 Castle of Vol 4 last night and was amazed at how much better (to my ears) it sounds vs. the 3-cd "Ozzy years" Castle compilation. I'm hearing shades of tone and textures from Bill Ward's cymbals I've never heard before. I also just picked up a '96 Castle MOR (ESM CD 303). Anxious to listen to this too.
    These will suffice until I can find the preferred earlier Castle's.

9. scocs

scocs Forum Resident

As has been said before, there's a lot of confusing and seemingly contradictory info on Black Sabbath cds.

Here's my simple question: I own the Castle UK mini-lps of Paranoid and Masters of Reality from 2000. Are these the same masterings/pressings as the 1996 Castle remasters that so many people like? Or am I gonna have to shell out more money to replace them?

Thanks!!

10. Purplerocks

Does anyone know if the mastering on "Sabbath Bloody Sabbath" Castle Legends series CLC 5039, is the same as the '86 that Roland and others prefer?

Here is the EAC info for the above;

Track 1
    Filename C:\My Music\Track01.wav

Peak level 88.7 %
    Track quality 100.0 %
    Copy CRC 4E9F8DC1
    Copy OK

Track 2
    Filename C:\My Music\Track02.wav

Peak level 96.9 %
    Track quality 100.0 %
    Copy CRC 901BE5AB
    Copy OK

Track 3
    Filename C:\My Music\Track03.wav

Peak level 79.7 %
    Track quality 99.9 %
    Copy CRC 58067BA0
    Copy OK

Track 4
    Filename C:\My Music\Track04.wav

Peak level 97.1 %
    Track quality 100.0 %
    Copy CRC 6B42447C
    Copy OK

Track 5
    Filename C:\My Music\Track05.wav

Peak level 97.6 %
    Track quality 100.0 %
    Copy CRC 7E65AF12
    Copy OK

Track 6
    Filename C:\My Music\Track06.wav

Peak level 95.9 %
    Track quality 100.0 %
    Copy CRC 501BF7EB
    Copy OK

Track 7
    Filename C:\My Music\Track07.wav

Peak level 96.9 %
    Track quality 100.0 %
    Copy CRC BC4480D2
    Copy OK

Track 8
    Filename C:\My Music\Track08.wav

Peak level 95.2 %
    Track quality 100.0 %
    Copy CRC A8D1D88B
    Copy OK

No errors occured

11. Purplerocks

Roland, Jeff?

12. rjstauber

rjstauber Senior Member Thread Starter

Sorry, I haven't compared the CLC version of SBS in detail. I think Jeff might now.

13. oldschool

I had one CLC disc and it was different from the NELCD/CLACD.

14. Jeff Carney

My Castle Legends version of Master Of Reality is totally different to the 1986 Castle. I posted a sample seeking opinions on whether this difference is a result of the PE flags being set incorrectly or a different mastering. I'll have to check the EAC logs and see if they match.

15. yesstiles

yesstiles Senior Member

That would be odd, because those CLC "Castle Legend" discs have exactly the same packaging in both artwork and disc as the CLACD's. You wouldn't even be able to tell them apart if not for the insertion of the word "Legend" and the 1991 date above the 1986 date.

16. yesstiles

yesstiles Senior Member

NELCD Paranoid

I just got this cd and something was really perplexing me.

I couldn't turn it up loud enough!

This thing stayed smooth no matter how loud I turned it up. The problem was, I kept wanting it to be louder, but I couldn't get it there. I turned it up as loud as I safely could and I still coudln't get the vlume out of it that I desired.

17. Jeff Carney

You need a new stereo, man. :laugh:

Seriously though, that is not a problem with this disc. Maybe it's some sort of bizarre PE decoding problem?

18. yesstiles

yesstiles Senior Member

I dunno, it was that way on my home rig and my car stereo. I just wanted to rock you know? :winkgrin:

My Creek amp shouldn't have any problem cranking things.

Would a PE flag issue result in something like this? :confused:

19. Jeff Carney

I doubt it, but this is kind of bizarre. The car stereo factor is probably a part of it.

But if I turned this disc up to 30 in my car, I can't imagine needing anything more out of the volume! That would be LOUD!

Maybe some modern car stereos are made to accommodate more common, digitally limited CDs, which can't be turned up very loud? :confused:

20. oldschool

Here's a comparison:

Paranoid CLC

Paranoid CLACD

The CLCs don't have PE

I think I had Vol.4 and remember it sounding harsher than my CLACD. Maybe you could try burning it on CD-R with PE set manually to get the sound right

21. Jeff Carney

Right. However, the question is whether the flags were incorrectly set. if they were, then reburning in EAC with them set to "Yes" should enable them to cancel out with the 1986 discs.

One of these days Roland will listen to the sample I uploaded of MoR and we'll get his input. I am inclined to think the 1991 CDs may have used a new mastering, but would like at least one other opinion.

22. Jeff Carney

I just acquired a Creative Sounds German pressing of Sabotage (449802-2). Sounds quite similar to the WB. No problems with PE on this disc.

Oddly, "The Writ" and AIGI are reversed on this CD!

23. Goodyear

Goodyear New Member

All of those Creative Sounds CDs seem to reverse the last two tracks. Makes no sense...

Do you know if it cancels out with the WB CD? And does it have the same tape issues that plague the NELCD Sabotage?

I recently scored a Japan-pressed NELCD of Paranoid. Strangely, EAC does not detect the PE flags for this disc. Are they even there? I also have a France-pressed NELCD (at MPO) of this title, but EAC has no problem detecting the PE flags. Not sure what the problem is here. Both CDs should share the same mastering, but I haven't checked yet. Can anyone with a Japan-pressed NELCD Paranoid double check this?

24. Jeff Carney

The CS Sabotage CD does not match the WB, but it does not have the tape problems of the Castle. It's a great sounding disc.

All the Japan pressed NELCD Castle discs I have detect PE, but Paranoid in this series I don't have. For that, I have the CLACD issue and it detects PE.

25. agentalbert

agentalbert Senior Member

Just a follow up note. I got the US WB cd's of Never Say Die and Technical Ecstasy from Amazon recently. Both have re-1 in the matrix. I know that doesn't necessarily mean there is a sound difference, but maybe there is. Can someone with an older US WB copy of one of these that does not have re-1 in the matrix post an EAC log? If possible, average volume calculated with Goldwave would help as well.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.