Roland's favorite CD versions of Deep Purple albums

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by rjstauber, Sep 15, 2006.

1. claypool

claypool New Member

Thanks Roland, this has been helpful thread :thumbsup: I'm going to hunt down those early EMI CDs of Fireball and In Rock.

2. rjstauber

rjstauber Senior Member Thread Starter

You're welcome! I plan to have similar threads for some other artists (Thin Lizzy, Black Sabbath, Elton John, etc.).

Roland

3. rjstauber

Thanks. It doesn't feel like "work", since it is my hobby, but it is time-consuming. :)

Roland

4. b8375629

b8375629 New Member

Have you heard the Spitfire versions, Roland?

What do you think?

5. Buzzz

Buzzz Forum Resident

I can't verify that, unfortunately... the liner notes are kind of vague. There was an article about Mk I in Mojo shortly after the re-issues that went into more detail. I know that all US MK I cds prior to 2000 were poor-quality needle drops, possibly even sourced from vinyl boots. The liner notes do clearly state that the prior EMI master for Shades was a dub, but I don't know for the other two albums.

I have a 1998 Japanese CD of Shades... (Techiku/Deep Purple Overseas) that, while not great, sounds more like the vinyl to my ears than the 2000 version.

6. rjstauber

No, I haven't heard them.

Roland

7. bartels76

bartels76 Forum Hall Of Fame

The Spitfire's are clones of the EMI remasters in the UK.

danielbravo likes this.
  8. rjstauber

Here's an update:

I just received the early UK EMI CD versions of Deep Purple and Concerto for Group and Orchestra.

Both sound pretty good to me.

I am not 100% certain if I like the early Japanese or the early EMI version of Deep Purple better. The Japanese seems to have a little more "body" and a little more presence, the EMI sounds a tad warmer and maybe a little more musical. I'll probably keep both, and if you like this album, either version will do.

The EMI does not appear to be a needle drop like it has been mentioned for at least one of the early Deep Purple CD's.

Regarding Concerto for Group and Orchestra, I do like the EMI version. It contains the full content of the original LP (incl. drum solo during Part 3 - which apparently has been edited out on some later versions). There are also two bonus tracks: Wring That Neck and Child in Time from the same concert. These are actually at the beginning of the CD (original order how they were played).

The two bonus tracks also appear on Power House (along with the third song from that concert, Hush). These two tracks sound slightly better on the first Japanese pressing of Power House.

The three classical movements on the EMI CD of Concerto for Group and Orchestra sound very nice to me. It is better than I had remembered (musically).

Here are the catalog numbers:
    Deep Purple: Harvest CDP 7 92409 2 (from 1989)
    Concerto: EMI CDP 7 94886 2 (from 1990)

Roland

9. Where's 'Perfect Strangers'? One of DP's best in my humble opinion.

Baphomet and SOONERFAN like this.
  10. rjstauber

Hello Scott,

well, I haven't made it to the reunion period yet, but since you asked, my preferred version of Perfect Strangers is the early WG Polydor 823 777-2. This version has 9 tracks (original album: 8 tracks - Not Responsible only appeared on the CD version). The later remaster has another bonus track, Son of Alerik.

Roland

P.S.: I agree with you that it is one of Deep Purple's best...after the reunion. ;) I think I like every single album until 1976 still better than Perfect Strangers.

SOONERFAN likes this.
  11. antonkk

antonkk Senior Member

For MK3/4 eras I have 3 japanese CDs and I would love to hear your opinion upon them:

Burn - 1996 Hot Price White OBI jewel case WPCR 872 - not remastered. Not compressed, plenty of dynamics but lacking the bass and harsh on highs. Better than the horrible remaster but not by far.

Stormbringer - 1996 Hot Price White OBI jewel case WPCR 873 - while coming from the same series as Burn this one is clearly remastered and it's an earbleeder. Really bright.

Come Taste the Band - 1998 WEA Japan mini-vinyl WPCR 1573 - now this one sounds awesome! Absolutely natural and warm sound, plenty of detail if a little bit lacking volume. Much better than original EMI.

Can you guys please tell me who's mastering do these use and if Burn and Stormbringer from the same 1998 series as CTTB sound as good?

12. dbz

dbz Bolinhead.

see Rolands first post-I also had the 1996 Japanese remaster by Lee Herschberg. At first I thought it sounded better (more presence, more bass), but a longer listening revealed that it was simply smiley-EQ'd (it is not compressed however). the Japanese gold CD also has this Lee Herschberg mastering.

For CTTB-the japan forever young WB(20P2-2610) series is the one. I have the recent Mini LP sleeve(2004) which sounds louder and a little harsher but its not that bad-except CTTB was always quite a smooth well recorded album, so it fails only in a side by side comparison. I suspect that all the late 90's japan editions were Lee Herschberg masterings, as its not like they remaster them for every edition.

13. antonkk

antonkk Senior Member

Well, the thing is that all 3 CDs have entirely different masterings. So they can't be all Lee Herschberg mastering.

14. rjstauber

As far as I know these are all the Lee Herschberg masterings. I have never heard the CTTB, but for the other two I can confirm that these are Lee Herschberg's mastering. Isn't he creditet in the booklet?

Stormbringer sounds awful in my opinion. Sounds totally screwed up. Not sure what happened there.

Burn is not so bad. It is not compressed, which is a good thing. It is EQ'd a bit (smiley type), and I liked the first/second Japanese pressing better. Burn isn't too well mastered on CD, but I like the 1st/2nd Japanese best. The one you sounds harsh to me after a while of listening.

15. antonkk

antonkk Senior Member

Wow! What a fool I am. All these years and I haven't looked for the info in the booklets. Yes, all 3 say it was mastered by Lee Herschberg 1996. Which is weird to say the least since mastering is absolutely different on all 3 - different volume levels, different EQ's etc. Anyway, IF Come taste the Band is indeed his work at least here the guy did a great job - this one sounds stunning and so much better than old EMI!:righton:

P.S. Can you post the numbers for the preffered pressings of Burn and Stormbringer? I have absolutely no faith in the forthcoming remaster of the later and Burn remaster was an abomination.

16. qualitymusicfan

qualitymusicfan New Member

I have to say I don't agree at all. The remasters are so far superior to the EMI, it's hard to believe. I haven't heard the other pressings though. The only non-remaster I like is Burn, the others falls flat compared to the remasters IMO and ears, so does the bandmembers think. All (but the fisrt three and the later ones) are done by Roger Glover and approved by him as the best possible. This is of course only my personal opinion, I don't believe that there is such a thing as obectivity in such matters, nor do I claim to have on.

17. rjstauber

See bold text for best versions (IMO) of Burn and Stormbringer.

18. jamesmaya

jamesmaya Senior Member

Roland,

Do you know if the 3-CD LIVE IN JAPAN (1972 Osaka & Tokyo concerts) orginally released in the early 90s (1993?) was later reissued/remastered? Thanks.:thumbsup:

19. eelkiller

eelkiller One of the great unwashed

Jim,

It is a remix of the shows and sounds very good. I just bought a copy this year and it is the original CD that the stores are selling.

20. jamesmaya

jamesmaya Senior Member

Barry....Good to know, thanks.:thumbsup: I've been sitting on the fence on that one, already having the DCC Made In Japan.

21. rjstauber

The 3-CD set from 1993 was never remixed or remastered after 1993. The original version of that set is still in print today. It sounds quite nice, a good mastering and pretty much unfutzed with. No compression whatsoever, and I can also hear no immediate signs of noise reduction (although this can be hard to detect sometimes). The overall EQ is also pretty good. Roger Glover's bass could have been mixed a little more up front, I suppose (he was present during the original mix of MIJ, but not for the remix if I remember correctly). I personally prefer Ritchie's guitar where it is on MIJ (in the left channel), since that is what I'm used to.

22. jamesmaya

jamesmaya Senior Member

Thanks, Roland.:thumbsup:

23. rjstauber

In my opinion you don't really need it if you have the DCC MIJ. I mean I do like Deep Purple and have most of their albums (up to the first split), but I don't own this set myself. I had it once but returned it due to a minor defect on that specific copy. I don't miss it at all.

That doesn't mean it's not recommended. It's nice to hear it a few times just for the differences. If you want to have all Deep Purple Mk. II material, then it's good to have. In my opinion, I would recommend Steve's SACD on AF of Live at the BBC over this 3-CD set. It is from a live recording a few months before MIJ, and that concert is quite different from MIJ. I like both a lot.

Next I would recommend Scandinavian Nights (the original version). Next probably the Live in Denmark set (which was also released on DVD). etc.

24. bartels76

bartels76 Forum Hall Of Fame

I agree on all counts plus it's great to hear hoew the band differen each night. A must for any DP fan!

25. dbz

dbz Bolinhead.

He would have had to try very hard to cock it up! It's one of the best sounding Purple cds around.
    Like I said they don't remaster for every different release(even in Japan). But I am mildly optimistic about the Stormbringer re-master. I don't know why, probably becuase its always overlooked, but I think this might be a quality release