Roland's favorite CD versions of Deep Purple albums

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by rjstauber, Sep 15, 2006.

1. Andreas

Andreas Senior Member

May I ask you again: Do you like anything mastered by SH?

2. Jeff Carney

Jeff Carney Fan Of Specifics (No Koolaid)

I'm listening to the original EMI CD as I write. It sounds pretty good but one thing I noticed when I put it in earlier tonight was that on the opening track there is not a whole lot of bottom end. Sounds like it was made from a production tape. seems to get a bit better as the CD carries on but I can't imagine the vinyl had no more bottom end than this.

3. eelkiller

eelkiller One of the great unwashed

Every version I have heard (Vinyl and CD_ has this "lack of bottom end". Not the best sounding recording - too bad as the music is great.

4. antonkk

antonkk Senior Member

Nope - the vinyl had plenty of it. I made direct comparisons with vinyl back then an dthe difference is striking.

5. rjstauber

rjstauber Senior Member Thread Starter

I am not fully happy with any CD version of Burn. The best of the bunch in my opinion is the first/second Japanese pressing on Warner Bros. or the US WB CD (which is very close to the Japanese, probably digitally identical).

It's been a long time since I heard Burn on vinyl, but I remember it sounding better (the original vinyl on Purple Records). The album was also recorded in Montreux, and I remember it almost sounding as good as Machine Head on vinyl.

6. rjstauber

I just got the first Japanese pressing of "Made in Europe" on Warner Bros.

It is part of the Forever Young series, and has the catalog number WPCP-4017.

I compared it to the non-remastered EMI CD version from 1990. The two CD's sound very similar and very alike, but the Japanese pressing is slightly better in my opinion. Sounds just a tad more defined and warmer. Not a big difference, though.

By the way, I think that the original "Made in Europe" sounds much better than the other released material from the same concerts, such as "The Final Concerts".

7. curbach

curbach Some guy on the internet

I've got Archive Alive (U.S. issue of Final Concerts) and a CD-R of Made In Europe (likely from the Japanese disc, but I'm not sure). Never given them a critical listen, but I'll try this weekend and see if I agree with you.

For live Mk III I prefer Live In London myself :thumbsup: But I've never given it a critical listen either. Just a more enjoyable performance, especially Jon Lord's emceeing.

8. Phlo

Phlo Formerly dave-o

Very handy and informative, Roland. Thanks.

9. rjstauber

I also consider "Live in London" the best Mk. III live recording which was officially released.

I hope that they will fix the 2-CD remaster at Purple Records properly. The first test pressing I received from the UK sounded way too harsh and bright.

danielbravo likes this.
  10. rjstauber

You are very welcome.

11. motorcitydave

motorcitydave Enlightened Rogue In Memoriam

Steve can work his magic, but 'In Rock' not that good sounding of an album, so it'll be tough for him.

I disagree about the US WB cds of 'Machine Head,' and 'Fireball.' I hated them, and still do. That's why I got rid of them. I like the UK remasters!

'Made In Japan' is the best sounding Purple album. All formats are killer, including the 3cd 'Live In Japan'

What's your take on 'Deepest Purple,' And 'The Singles A's and B's'?

But, let's face it, Purple sounds best on vinyl on the overall as far as I'm concerned.

cjay likes this.
  12. rjstauber

The original EMI Fireball is by far the best CD version I have heard so far.

I do like the US WB of Machine Head a lot, but I guess to each its own.

You must not be bothered by the heavy noise-reduction applied to the EMI remaster of Machine Head. The alternate mixes are nice to have, though.

Can't comment on "Deepest Purple" since I don't like compilations which don't have much extra material to offer. I would expect the old EMI version to sound best.

I am still doing my research on "The Singles A's and B's" CD versions. I should be able to answer that question in a week or so.

13. motorcitydave

motorcitydave Enlightened Rogue In Memoriam

Ok, cool. We agree to disagree.

However, I haven't heard the original EMI of 'Fireball'

Sounds good. Keep us posted. :)

14. curbach

curbach Some guy on the internet

Of course Roland is correct (hanging out on this forum I've learned to trust Roland's ears--except when it comes to his appreciation of Glenn Hughes :p ). I find the chief fault of the Archive Alive release is that it was remixed so that all the instruments are jumbled together at center stage. Made In Europe has a much more realistic soundstage.

15. Liquid Snake

Liquid Snake Member

The newer, expanded "Singles A's & B's" (EMI 0777 7 81009 2 8) sounds no-noised to me. Haven't heard the original version.

The old EMI of "In Rock" is better than the remaster but not that great really. Probably the recording is at fault. I agree with Roland about "Machine Head" - DVD-A > original US WB > remaster. The NR on the remasters just kills the music.

16. eelkiller

eelkiller One of the great unwashed

I thought the expanded Singles A's & B's was released prior to when EMI started the NR frenzy. I also have not heard the original version for comparison.

17. Liquid Snake

Liquid Snake Member

My copy is dated 1993. I'm not 100% sure if there is NR but the music seems to have a suspicious absence of hiss.

18. Spitfire

Spitfire Senior Member

Was there ever a CD version of the original album? I have the 1993 CD and the original vinyl.

19. rjstauber

:agree:

I think EMI started much earlier with no-noise, already in the late 80's. Aren't some of the late 80's John Lennon CD's already no-noised, and you have to go back to the very early issues. I am not certain about the dates, but I'm pretty sure noise reduction on CD's was already very common by 1993.

It seems to me it is mostly used on the intros with lower volume. I am pretty sure that noise reduction was used for the later A's & B's version.

20. rjstauber

double post

Simon A likes this.
  21. rjstauber

Yes, there is an original CD version. It only has 12 tracks up to and including Fireball.

The later expanded version is clearly from a better source, and once the songs are at full volume (no noise-reduction), they also sound better than the earlier version. I can't hear any digital compression on both releases.

It is really a shame that they used NR on the 1993 disc, it would otherwise be an excellent mastering.

I might create my own CD version, by using the intros w/o NR from the old CD and switch over to the new CD once the song is at full throttle. I think both CD's have about the same volume level and run at the same speed.

22. Liquid Snake

Liquid Snake Member

Not sure if there was only NR on the intros or the whole thing, but it doesn't sound as "dead" as the "In Rock" anniversary remaster for example. I briefly listened to "Hush" from Steve's "Live at the BBC" disc and the "Singles A's & B's" track certainly has less hiss. It also lacks the roaring bass that Steve's version has :D

23. Spitfire

Spitfire Senior Member

The later one's don't have this cool cover:

Attached Files:

• 445.jpg
      445.jpg
      File size:
      13.8 KB
      Views:
  24. jamesmaya

jamesmaya Senior Member

There was a 3-cd collection PURPLE CHRONICLE that was released in 1993 as a Japanese import. Apparently, it was reissued in 1999 (?) with expanded packaging. Any thoughts on either editions? Thanks.:thumbsup:

25. Purplerocks

Purplerocks Forum Resident

Has anyone done any comparisons of the MkII reunion stuff (Perfect Strangers, House Of Blue Light)?